Anyone just off the Splendor

luvthebalcony

Funny - - the 2-3 people might have been my husband and myself. We asked the waiter if it ever got busy and he told us in the evenings. But it must be the late, late evening because we were there at different times and maybe 4 tables, at the most, were occupied. :p However, I did think it was the oddest place for the Internet cafe to be. Why on earth would they make ppl walk through a smoking bar, knowing many would be kids???

Well, over the four times or so I had to walk through to get to the internet room, I never saw anyone actually sitting together!!! So it couldn't have been you and your H. The few people I saw in there were all sitting by themselves, smoking, and looking strangely at me as I walked by as if to wonder what the hell I was doing disturbing their seedy bar. :D

That little problem is usually related to a non-U.S. citizen not reporting to customs. I've been held up numerous times thanks to that.:(

That's good to know. Have experienced similar situations on other ships and it can be frustrating for everyone concerned. Nothing worse than hearing the same names paged over and over again and being delayed by people who don't do what they have been instructed to do.

It is good to hear that the repairs went well and that the ship is back in service.

Good to hear Ronnie. Did you run into any staff by the name of Hector or Made in the dining room etc? Curious if they are back on the ship.

Kathy in Edmonton

Sorry, Kathy. Didn't see either of those names on any crew name tags.

I had an 8 yr old girl, who I tried to get bumped to the 9-11 group but they would not let me. She's very social so she chose to spend most of the time outside on her own with a few other girls. Many of the activities I thought were baby-ish... but it completely depends on your child. Overall out of our four kids who range in age from 8, 10, 12, and 15, did not spend much time in their groups... instead opting to do things on their own.

Sign your child up EARLY and check them in EARLY, or you will have to wait in lines to fill out the forms and check them in later.... the 6-8 group seems to be the biggest. If he/she likes playing Wii, going on scavenger hunts, and coloring t-shirts, then it will be a good time. I did find the counselors to be a bit on the strict side.... the first time my daughter came out of her group she said "there was a lot of yelling...." Take that for what it's worth.

Yes, the pools and hot tubs were crowded... the hot tubs were more like warm tubs... not very hot. And yes, the roof was closed from Friday night through Sunday morning when we arrived back in Long beach because it was windy and colder.

Thanks for the comments. My 11 year old (she'll be 12 right after we get OFF the ship so she'll be bummed about not being able to be bumped up to the older group) is very social and outgoing and she meets friends easily. She doesn't need much in the way of activities to be happy. This is in contrast to my 7 year old, who is more shy and can be intimidated by large groups of unruly kids. I don't think she ever loved kids club on either cruise she's been on (Princess and RCCL). I dunno what she'll think of the Carnival CC but it's worth a try. :)

Glad to hear that there is a lot to do. I wish she could bring a friend but since we are planning on going at Christmas, everyone wants to be with their families...

Katherine

Thanks for the comments. My 11 year old (she'll be 12 right after we get OFF the ship so she'll be bummed about not being able to be bumped up to the older group) is very social and outgoing and she meets friends easily. She doesn't need much in the way of activities to be happy. This is in contrast to my 7 year old, who is more shy and can be intimidated by large groups of unruly kids. I don't think she ever loved kids club on either cruise she's been on (Princess and RCCL). I dunno what she'll think of the Carnival CC but it's worth a try. :)

Glad to hear that there is a lot to do. I wish she could bring a friend but since we are planning on going at Christmas, everyone wants to be with their families...

Katherine

If your daughter is ALMOST 12, then they will probably let her bump up to the next level. Just ask. They will see that her birthday is close and you will likely get her bumped up.... I did see several 11 yr old girls get bumped up to the 12-14 group. She'll enjoy that better. Do it.

Our 12 yr old spent more time in the Circle-C over the last 2 nights and it was fun for her. She had met a nice girl from Utah and they hung out both in and out of the group.

Yeah, on my last cruise with Carnival (March 2009) my kids were 14 and 16 (15-17 Club O2)....I signed a waiver to bump up my daughter as she wanted to be in the same group as her brother. She was two months from being 15. We did this the first sign up night and I had to go with them.

If your daughter is ALMOST 12, then they will probably let her bump up to the next level. Just ask. They will see that her birthday is close and you will likely get her bumped up.... I did see several 11 yr old girls get bumped up to the 12-14 group. She'll enjoy that better. Do it.

Our 12 yr old spent more time in the Circle-C over the last 2 nights and it was fun for her. She had met a nice girl from Utah and they hung out both in and out of the group.

To see if there are any other Splendor Reviewers out there? Can't wait for our turn!

If you're sailing on her before March 27, take good care of our ship, and let us know how it was!

Silc

Yeah, on my last cruise with Carnival (March 2009) my kids were 14 and 16 (15-17 Club O2)....I signed a waiver to bump up my daughter as she wanted to be in the same group as her brother. She was two months from being 15. We did this the first sign up night and I had to go with them.

Great to gear that this is possible. I will do that for sure. New set of Splendor passengers don't get off till Sunday so we have to wait some more for more reviews...

My Family and I loved the ship. We were on Deck 11 & 10 Spa cabins. One Balcony and one inside cabin. Food was great, service was fabulous however not too excited about the dancing entertainment. I'm not too good at writing full reviews so if you have any specific questions, i'll see if i can answer.:D

Is Voodoo still playing on the Splendor?

Yay, we're sailing on Easter, April 24th and can't wait!

My DD we'll be just 6 weeks shy of her 12th birthday and I read on another thread that they won't bump kids up to the next age group, even if their b-day's were weeks away.

I'm so happy to hear that its possible to bump them up, she'll have way more fun. It's kind of disappointing hearing some of your fresh reviews about the kids club. I had heard that Carnival had a pretty good kids' program, guess it depends on the ship, staff, etc. We've only sailed Disney with my DD when she was just 3 years old and she had a blast. This time we're cruising with her and our boys now 6 & 4 years old.

what about the piano bar guy

(Waiting to debark so will post more later...)

The piano bar guy was a country singer named Chris Ray. He's a good country singer, but he plays a guitar, not the piano, and though it's billed as a singalong most of the songs are not sing-a-long-able. We enjoyed listening to him, though.

Archived