Anyone just off the Splendor

luvthebalcony

Inquiring minds want to know how the ship and crew performed. We will be on the Splendor in 4 weeks and hope you got all the little problems worked out for us. Hope you had a great cruise and post some reviews soon

Thanks !

Since it took them 3 months to get all the 'little' problems worked out, I would certainly hope so, but the apparent delay in disembarking passengers this morning would seem to indicate that some 'little' problem may still exist. Will be interested to read comments from passengers on this first sailing.:)

Since it took them 3 months to get all the 'little' problems worked out, I would certainly hope so, but the apparent delay in disembarking passengers this morning would seem to indicate that some 'little' problem may still exist. Will be interested to read comments from passengers on this first sailing.:)

That little problem is usually related to a non-U.S. citizen not reporting to customs. I've been held up numerous times thanks to that.:(

When we (Canadians) were on Paradise about 3 years ago, we got off the ship along with the rest and went thru customs on the dock, so there was none of this waiting for Non-US pax to clear customs. Is this the way things are done now? We have a 12:50pm flight and plan to carry off our bags. Should I be concerned about missing my flight?

The disembarking delay IS NOT PART OF the fire and 3 month out of service....

When we (Canadians) were on Paradise about 3 years ago, we got off the ship along with the rest and went thru customs on the dock, so there was none of this waiting for Non-US pax to clear customs. Is this the way things are done now? We have a 12:50pm flight and plan to carry off our bags. Should I be concerned about missing my flight?

Usually Long Beach is quick. Lately Customs has been having us go thru two checks. One for your passport and another for contraband fruit (leave them onboard.)

Maybe they were having problems with the gangway again.

My Family and I loved the ship. We were on Deck 11 & 10 Spa cabins. One Balcony and one inside cabin. Food was great, service was fabulous however not too excited about the dancing entertainment. I'm not too good at writing full reviews so if you have any specific questions, i'll see if i can answer.:D

We were off quite early this morning, but were given priority debarkation for a personal family emergency reason. So I was off at 8:20 AM and can't speak to what might have been the hold up later.

Anyway, the Splendor was FABULOUS!!! I will write a review when I can. But the staff was amazing, especially in how they handled our personal issue on Friday.

Felipe was GREAT... the shows were nice. The comedians in the El Morocco lounge were very funny... our wait staff and steward were INCREDIBLE and we left very generous tips for all of them.

The ship really did look new and I think they really worked hard to clean it up and fix it up for its new journey. Despite missing Mazatlan, we had a great time overall.

I'm not sure what the point of the Robusto bar/lounge is. It's on the 4th deck, very dark and red... very smoky... only ever about three people in it... very smoky.... and you have to walk through it to get to the internet room.... oh and did I mention very smoky? Really... my one suggestion would be to get rid of this room and turn it into something more fun. Like I said, there were only ever 2-3 people in it at one time, and of the times I had to walk through it, the smell was horrible. If you have to walk through it, hold your nose and don't breathe in.

Our night on the steakhouse was AWESOME!! Best dinner I've had in years... the Filet was incredible.

We were a little late being called to disembark, but it went fairly quickly for us - they had one line for US citizens - VERY long - and one for non-US citizens. We breezed through and were off by 10:45

Good to hear Ronnie. Did you run into any staff by the name of Hector or Made in the dining room etc? Curious if they are back on the ship.

Kathy in Edmonton

Two quick questions if you guys can comment...

1) Anyone have any experience with the kids clubs, especially for a 7 year old?

2) Were the pools crowded? Did they ever close the retractable roof when the weather got cool (close to LA)?

Thanks! Katherine

Two quick questions if you guys can comment...

1) Anyone have any experience with the kids clubs, especially for a 7 year old?

2) Were the pools crowded? Did they ever close the retractable roof when the weather got cool (close to LA)?

Thanks! Katherine

I had an 8 yr old girl, who I tried to get bumped to the 9-11 group but they would not let me. She's very social so she chose to spend most of the time outside on her own with a few other girls. Many of the activities I thought were baby-ish... but it completely depends on your child. Overall out of our four kids who range in age from 8, 10, 12, and 15, did not spend much time in their groups... instead opting to do things on their own.

Sign your child up EARLY and check them in EARLY, or you will have to wait in lines to fill out the forms and check them in later.... the 6-8 group seems to be the biggest. If he/she likes playing Wii, going on scavenger hunts, and coloring t-shirts, then it will be a good time. I did find the counselors to be a bit on the strict side.... the first time my daughter came out of her group she said "there was a lot of yelling...." Take that for what it's worth.

Yes, the pools and hot tubs were crowded... the hot tubs were more like warm tubs... not very hot. And yes, the roof was closed from Friday night through Sunday morning when we arrived back in Long beach because it was windy and colder.

Home one day now from the Splendor and back to the 'rut' of making our own meals and eating ramen and cleaning up after ourselves!

This was wife and I 9th cruise and 5th on Carnival, so we knew what to expect from a Carnival cruise.

Took the family of 6 (four kids, 17, 16, 11, 9) mainly because it was cheaper than going to Disneyland. It was a fantastic cruise. How can a cruise be bad? It's all attitude I think. Sure there were things that could have been done better, but just a few:

I booked this cruise 14 months ago, and we were originally scheduled to go on the cruise Jan 16 but it got canceled, and we rebooked for Feb 20. I also had my brother and family, sister and family, and my parents, total 22 people, 14 of which were kids. We originally had the early seating confirmed, but due to the rebooking, we were told that all rebooks were 'waitlisted' and the actual seating time would be determined the day of sailing.

Of course, we got late seating, which is not conducive at all with kids. For one, it's no fun getting done with dinner at 10pm when you had kids. Second, all the family activities, orientations and shows were done during our dinner time. And if we did want to take the kids to any main shows, it was 10:30 at night.

On our other cruises, the people with late seating went to their main shows when the 1st seating was eating dinner, so you were not waiting until 10:30 to go the main show.

We went and spoke to the Maiter'D but of course there was nothing they could do since the ship was full to capacity. We couldn't even get them to move my family of 6 to an earlier meal time. Again we were told that those who had to rebook were all on the late seating, which was not true because another group of 4 that I know booked two months before the cruise, ended up in early dining.

Seems that when they were figuring everything out, they should give preference to those with kids to eat early. Anyhow, some of the nights our entire group missed out on the dining experience because it was just so late.

The band on the Lido deck by the main pool was good, but they only knew about 6 songs and repeated them day after day after day.

As was reported earlier, the Cabo tenders were horrible. It took us almost two hours to get off the ship (both days) and we had mid-20's tickets (i saw others with 50!) and getting back was worse! The 2nd day we waiting in line for an hour and half to get back to the ship. The other ships in port (Disney, Holland America) had no lines, so I know it was not because the pier was crowded. Just seemed like Carnival didn't have enough tenders running, and those that were running, were very small.

Disembarking was just as delayed and long. I wish we would have been told what was happening.

BUT, overall, the cruise was fantastic. The mac/cheese in the rotisserie was excellent. All the baked potatoes (buffet, rotisserie, dining room) were always hard and dry. We used the rotisserie area as our groups meeting place to play games, as there was never anyone up there. The deli sandwiches were fantastic. So good for lunch. Just wish they had potato chips to go with it. They have chips for room service though I noticed.

Felipe was amazing! He was awesome and we loved having has as the CD. Fantastic job!

Dining room wait staff and cabin stewards were fantastic as well.

I talked to a staff member from Camp Carnival and was told that there were 700 kids under the age of 18 on board that week. There were a lot of kids, but as the week went on, there were less and less at the Camp Carnival activities. My kids stopped going mid week as they said they were bored. The pools were crowded, but of course they are going to be. The pools are not very big, and most of people in the pool were kids.

Water slide and spray park close at 5pm, not sure why, and three days it was closed even earlier. My kids were shooed out of the play park at 4:45 one day.

Sure there were things that could have been done better, but it was a great vacation and we all had a great time. Much better than staying home and going to work/school, right?

I'm not sure what the point of the Robusto bar/lounge is. It's on the 4th deck, very dark and red... very smoky... only ever about three people in it... very smoky.... and you have to walk through it to get to the internet room.... oh and did I mention very smoky? Really... my one suggestion would be to get rid of this room and turn it into something more fun. Like I said, there were only ever 2-3 people in it at one time, and of the times I had to walk through it, the smell was horrible. If you have to walk through it, hold your nose and don't breathe in.

Funny - - the 2-3 people might have been my husband and myself. We asked the waiter if it ever got busy and he told us in the evenings. But it must be the late, late evening because we were there at different times and maybe 4 tables, at the most, were occupied. :p However, I did think it was the oddest place for the Internet cafe to be. Why on earth would they make ppl walk through a smoking bar, knowing many would be kids???

Archived