Sanctuary Capacity on Crown

User Error

We are cruising on The Crown in June to the Norweigan Fjords and were contemplating booking the Sanctuary for the entire duration of the trip as it sounds really relaxing.

Can anyone tell me what the capacity is of the sanctuary and what can we expect to pay for the duration of a 12 day cruise as I understand its cheaper if booked in advance for the entire trip.

Any info would be much appreciated......

We are cruising on The Crown in June to the Norweigan Fjords and were contemplating booking the Sanctuary for the entire duration of the trip as it sounds really relaxing.

Can anyone tell me what the capacity is of the sanctuary and what can we expect to pay for the duration of a 12 day cruise as I understand its cheaper if booked in advance for the entire trip.

Any info would be much appreciated......

Just cruise the Crown it was great highly recommend this to get away from the chair hogs and they take good care of you

Not sure the capacity its about 50 to 60 people

the fee is $15 per day if you book the entire cruise

or $10 for half day 8 ~12pm or 1 ~ 5pm or $20 for full day

on sea days its can be tough to get a chair some people line up at 6:30 am and they take your reservations at 8

sorry i dont know how many pre reservations they take for the cruise the day you board

Don't mean to highjack your post.

We used it twice and both afternoons were port days. It was dead both times with more people coming in as we were departing. I did notice that many lounge chairs around the front had books on them.

So, do the people that book the entire cruise get to pick chairs and stay with them the entire cruise?

I know another post ages ago said they will move chairs for you BUT there was not a lot of sunny spots that afternoon and it didn't last long for us. I know it depends on the direction the ship is facing but it seems like most spots are shade.

Don't mean to highjack your post.

We used it twice and both afternoons were port days. It was dead both times with more people coming in as we were departing. I did notice that many lounge chairs around the front had books on them.

So, do the people that book the entire cruise get to pick chairs and stay with them the entire cruise?

I know another post ages ago said they will move chairs for you BUT there was not a lot of sunny spots that afternoon and it didn't last long for us. I know it depends on the direction the ship is facing but it seems like most spots are shade.

Yes, when you go to the Sanctuary upon boarding to book the entire cruise, you will be asked to select your seats, and they are then yours for the entire trip. That's one of the most attractive benefits - knowing YOUR chair is there for you to use at any time you want. No need to go and put your book and towel on it - the attendants keep it free for you.

And FYI, you have to book once you are on board - you cannot book the Sanctuary beforehand.

I just came off of Emerald (2/26). Upon boarding at 1:00PM went directly to the Sanctuary to book for the entire cruise as we love the Sanctuary. Was told that all the full cruise bookings were taken. They only allowed twenty. The remainder could only be booked on a daily basis at 8:00AM. On a sea day if you were not qued up by 7:15 you had no chance.

IMO the popularity is driven partially by the refusal of staff to enforce their own policy on "saving" deck chairs - there have been many threads on this issue.

Yes, you pick your "beds" and they remain the same the entire cruise. Staff makes them up each day by 8:00AM. The number in sun/shade is dictated by the location of the Sanctuary on each ship - not all are the same. Staff is happy to move them in/out of sun as you request.

And is the pool and hot tubs for the use of Sanctuary guests only?

No. The Sanctuary on the Crown is located immediately above the Lotus Spa. The pool/hot tubs are just outside of the spa (on the same level) and can be used by anyone.

Fantastic. Thanks

Gonna do it day by day then as not sure what the demand will be like on a cruise where the weather will probably be cooler than usual and not sure whether I would actually use it every day for the same reasons.

Good advice here from everyone though so a big thanks

I hope you enjoy it. We LOVE the Sanctuary, but to each their own. Other people feel it is not worth the $$$. We disagree!!! :)

Never booked it day by day, but I understand from reading these boards that you have to get there very early! However, on an itinerary such as yours, it may be easier to get in. Good luck!

Thanks for the fast replies. There were about twenty chaise loungers facing forward on the curved bow. half on each side of the massage enclosure. Then there were some chairsand a few more loungers back a ways in a very open area BUT that entire section was covered. The area in the sun was very tight - loungers are right next to the next one. The reason I asked about the sun is because there was no way they could bring any other loungers out from under the covered area. AS I said, there were hardly any people there but if it was full, not sure if I'd be happy paying that much money with others so close.

I suppose there are a lot of people who like the shade especially in that front row where they can read a book and watch the where the ship is going.

What is the most popular spot or the first to be reserved up there? I also imagine a lot of people that get insides don't mind paying the cost because it still would be cheaper than getting a balcony.

Sorry but I think it would be crazy to spend the money on the Sanctuary when you are cruising the Norwegian Fjords. Caribbean, yes, but not Norway.

Valid point, for sure. When on a warm climate cruise, we always book the Santuary for the entire journey as soon as we get on board (I have to stay in the shade as I am a skin cancer patient). But on our Transatlantic in April of 2010, we didnt' bother. Nor did anyone else from what we could see!

You'd probably stand a better chance on this cruise to get a day pass than you would in the Caribbean. Either way, have a wonderful cruise! We've never cruised the Fjords, but plan to soon. We have cruised to/from Oslo, and it was a beautiful sail away.

IMO the popularity is driven partially by the refusal of staff to enforce their own policy on "saving" deck chairs - there have been many threads on this issue.

Interesting. Makes you wonder if it's somewhat intentional.

Sort of like having bad coffee, to encourage people to pay for better.

Check the weather conditions for the fjords before you book the Sanctuary for the whole cruise. I booked it for our whole cruise on the Golden Princess to Alaska, (JULY, 2010, no less!) only to find that the sea winds and 60 degree weather we were sailing in made conditions in the Sanctuary much too cold for me to tolerate. I really planned to use it a lot, but couldn't except for one day when the adorable little steward brought me three blankets, some ear muffs, a hat, a pair of gloves, an Ipod, and a cup of hot chocolate! Service was great, but, even parked in the sun, the winds were just too high and cold for me to be comfortable. I did take a short cozy nap after I got all bundled up, but I can't really say I was relaxed! LOL After that day, I hardly used it at all! It was abandoned almost every day. It is very pretty and comfortable, though, and as I said, the service was great. I'm going to try it again on the Crown Princess in May, 2011, when we're doing a transatlantic.

Archived