Cruise Ship Restaurant Up-Charges: Would You Pay $75 to Dine at Sea?

LauraS

Simple answer.....NO.

I have, in the past dined in Cagney's aboard Norwegian Crown & Norwegian Gem, but that was the only time I have ever used any speciality restaurants on ships. The MDR food is usually perfectly adequate so I personally see no reason to fork out more money to eat anywhere else.

I will be using the speciality restaurant on my cruise in 4 weeks time for one night but it is a freebee perk of the level that I have reached in the cruise line's loyalty scheme...but I certainly would not go out of my way to pay for a meal there.

Nah...I'll stick to the MDR for lunch & evening meals and the cabin for breakfast :)

If it is optional it is fine. There is a big difference between charging to use the restroom on an airplane where there is no alternative and charging for a special meal on a ship that does have free (or actually included) alternatives.

As for the food and service being better in the extra cost restaurants - of course it is. Who is going to pay more for the same quality and service that one can get for free?

Normally we'll pay extra for a special meal once or twice on a cruise, and enjoy the special atmosphere- knowing that we'd have to pay about 5 times the price to eat in a similar place on shore. I read the article on here by a cruise crew member who said that it's a lost leader....and that to set up these restaurants can cost $4 million.....Plus, the food is prepared from fresh, which the normal venues with their part-prepared and part cooked foods just couldn't handle.

£75 is more than I can manage, however, either on board or on shore.

Jo.

We will typically dine at least 3 times on a 7 night cruise in extra fee restaurants. We enjoy them and find then to be excellent value and a chance to eat food we either cannot get at home often or that we cannot afford at home. So if the meal promised sounded good enough we would do it for a birthday or special occasion but not as a thing on every cruise we took and I would expect wines of good quality chosen to specifically match each course served to be included for that price ($75). Disney are just plain expensive for their product if no wines are included.

On our Norwegian Epic cruise this summer I think we will eat in extra charge restaurnts probably 5 of the 7 nights, but that is our choice, we have budgeted for it and no one is forcing us to do it.

We dined in Chops possibly aboard the Jewel of the Seas, think it was $50 the meal was perferct 10/10, would I pay more depends on the occasion, but it was very nice. Oh and Dress code is enforced that a Plus, Normal Main Time Dining these rules are ignored more and more and not enforced.

Archived