La Spezia to Pisa options

relo

Hi,

One of the port of calls on our cruise is La Spezia (8am till 6pm) and we're planning a short visit to Pisa to see the tower mostly.

Has anyone any suggestions what our options are to get there besides a ship tour. I know that Pisa is around 80 km from La Spezia. The ship tour description says that is a 45-60 minute drive but I have also read about a 90-120 minute drive on some sites :confused:

Thanks

Edited by relo

It's very easy to get to Pisa by train from La Spezia. There is a regional train that leaves La Spezia Centrale at 9:12 AM on weekdays and Saturdays, arriving at Pisa San Rossore at 10:20 (the fare for this train is Euro 5,20 in second class and Euro 7,80 in first). San Rossore is the station before Pisa Centrale and is only a five minute walk from the Piazza dei Miracoli, where the tower is.

If you want to climb the tower, it's best to reserve your tickets in advance on their web site here: http://boxoffice.opapisa.it/Torre/first.jsp

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

Euro has summed up the situation on getting to Pisa. But my question is simply Why??? La Spezia is a very close gateway port to Riomaggiore and the beauty of Cinque Terre. Although Pisa does have the mystique associated with the Tower (there are actually many leaning towers scattered throughout Italy) most folks would not give-up a day in the Cinque Terre region for Pisa. Keep in mind once you get to Pisa you will go the Field of Miricles, see the tower, walk around the manicured lawn (where you can even buy cotton candy) and that is about it. Two years ago we were in Livorno on a May Day (a major holiday) and rented a car to drive ourselves to Riomaggiore (about 1:20 each way from Livorno). Another couple wanted to join us (their first visit to that area) so we drove them to Cinque Terre. They had never seen Pisa so we left Cinque Terre an hour early so we could make a quick stop in Pisa. After 20 minutes they were ready to leave...but they did get some photos of the Tower. We plan on spending a few days in Riomaggiore on a future driving trip, but would generally bypass Pisa (there is a Autostrade that avoids the city) on any future trip unless we had some grandkids who had their heart set on seeing the Tower.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for the answers. The why is that after 2 full days in Rome we want to do something leisure, I really want to see the tower once and we are already doing a tour along the Amalfi coast. But I will discuss this option with my husband and our friend, you never know if they have a change of mind.

But if we decide to take the train, is it easy to reach the station from the port?

Thanks

Edited by relo

It's very easy to get to Pisa by train from La Spezia. There is a regional train that leaves La Spezia Centrale at 9:12 AM on weekdays and Saturdays, arriving at Pisa San Rossore at 10:20 (the fare for this train is Euro 5,20 in second class and Euro 7,80 in first). San Rossore is the station before Pisa Centrale and is only a five minute walk from the Piazza dei Miracoli, where the tower is.

If you want to climb the tower, it's best to reserve your tickets in advance on their web site here: http://boxoffice.opapisa.it/Torre/first.jsp

If you go to Pisa, whatever you do, don't get off at the Pisa Centrale station stop because that one is definitely NOT a short five minute walk from the tower! The voice of experience says do what Euro Cruiser advises.

Euro has summed up the situation on getting to Pisa. But my question is simply Why??? La Spezia is a very close gateway port to Riomaggiore and the beauty of Cinque Terre. Although Pisa does have the mystique associated with the Tower (there are actually many leaning towers scattered throughout Italy) most folks would not give-up a day in the Cinque Terre region for Pisa. Keep in mind once you get to Pisa you will go the Field of Miricles, see the tower, walk around the manicured lawn (where you can even buy cotton candy) and that is about it. Two years ago we were in Livorno on a May Day (a major holiday) and rented a car to drive ourselves to Riomaggiore (about 1:20 each way from Livorno). Another couple wanted to join us (their first visit to that area) so we drove them to Cinque Terre. They had never seen Pisa so we left Cinque Terre an hour early so we could make a quick stop in Pisa. After 20 minutes they were ready to leave...but they did get some photos of the Tower. We plan on spending a few days in Riomaggiore on a future driving trip, but would generally bypass Pisa (there is a Autostrade that avoids the city) on any future trip unless we had some grandkids who had their heart set on seeing the Tower.

Hank

I have to say I am of the same opinion as Hank. Sure the tower is famous but it's a seen-it-now-I'm-done kind of place. The city of Pisa is nice but ordinary. If I had only a day and I had to choose, I'd go to Cinque Terre.

There's a wonderful photography website, http://www.pbase.com, that I visit all the time to help me in making decisions about where to go. Search for "Pisa" and look at the photos, then search for "Cinque Terre" and do the same. Hands down, it's not Pisa that floats my boat.

That said, Pisa's a great airport to fly into. Small and manageable. Connections to the US usually go through either Heathrow or Madrid. FYI

Thanks again for all the answers, we haven't decided yet what we are going to do. Luckily we still have a few months :D

That said, Pisa's a great airport to fly into. Small and manageable. Connections to the US usually go through either Heathrow or Madrid. FYI

We luckily don't have to go to Heathrow or Madrid as we live in the Netherlands and there are direct flights between Amsterdam & Pisa :D

• 5 years later...

I was just reading up on this thread as we were hoping to go to Pisa by train from La Spezia. Sounds like passing that up for time in Cinque Terre is the way to go. :confused:

You didn't mention anything about the train schedule for Sundays. And we are in port on a Sunday! :cool:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

I second this. I am certainly not as experienced in European matters as Euro Cruiser but we did this on our own as newbies to Europe. It was easy, easy to see the tower from the train via bus. One of our more inexpensive excursions.

Either Pisa or Cinque Terre are easily self done by train from La Spezia Centrale station .

Alight at Pisa Rossore station for the leaning tower, but be sure to pre book admissions via LT website. (Pisa Rossore is one station before Pisa Centrale.) Check train times here : http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip/eurail-timetable

With the CT you buy a Daily CT Pass at CT Tourist Office on main platform at La Spezia station. That gives you unlimited train travel for the day between La Spezia, the 5 villages of the CT . Also admission to walking paths of CT, and use of CT shuttle bus between Corniglia station and Corniglia high above avoiding 350 stairs ! From La Spezia by train it is 10 minutes to the nearest village in Riomaggiore and 25 to the furthest in Monterosso .

Trains run at a minimum 30 minute frequency, but not all trains stop at all stations.

From La Spezia the order of villages is Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso el Mare .

If pressed for time skip Monterosso and/or Corniglia .

All villages except Corniglia are also serviced by ferry departing from Portovenere . From La Spezia take Bus P from Stop P in Via Garabaldi near Corso Cavour at 25 and 55 minutes past the hour to reach Portovenere (30 minute trip).

Ferry times here : http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/en

With the villages :

Riomaggiore has two halves . The waterfront half is accessed by walking through a pedestrian tunnel parallel to the rail line on the inland side back towards La Spezia. At the end of the tunnel go down the steps under the railway to reach the waterfront . Corniglia is high up on a hill. Either climb 350 zig zag stairs at the Vernazza end of the station or take the shuttle bus . Monterosso has two halves linked by a shared use pedestrian / road tunnel . Old Monterosso is the more interesting . Ferries arrive in old Monterosso, the train station and a spectacular swimming beach are in New Monterosso .

l

Edited by kuldalai

• 9 months later...

For anyone else who is interested. We are just back and visited Pisa. We were going to get the train but as we were walking through the terminal there were a few companies selling tours and we opted to go with one. Can't remember the name but it cost 30 euros an adult and 10 euros a child up to age 16. It included a quick drive up to a viewing point for Cinque terre over the first town. Drove to Pisa and got on the mini train to take us by the leaning tower. Had approx. two hours free at Pisa. On way back drove to the marble quarries of carrara and had wine tasting (this was only at a shop selling souvenirs and had taste of one wine and some bread and cheese/meat.) There was also a guide on the bus that gave out some information. Think fate had played a part that day as that evening the Captain announced that they were waiting for people as there had been problems with the trains and then announced that he was leaving and some people hadn't returned on time. All in all the trip was okay for what it was and we got to see a bit more than just Pisa

• 1 month later...

We did a quick stop for picture at Pisa leaning tower (took a train). That worked out perfect. We caught 915am train from Naples port and was at Cinque Terre by 1PM. I do not recommend Vernazza for families. It is more for younger crowd and too crowded. Monterrosso and Manarola are better places. Beware we had to wait 45 minutes for the train at the Cinque Terre stop (manarola) on our way back to ship!!Plan some time to get back by train. Do not take the last schedule.

Also watch out for pickpockets at Pisa. As soon as we got off the train a group of women from age 8 to 50s was following us too close and actually saw one of them trying to open the purse of someone in our group. They knew we saw her so they went away.