Solo Travelers on Princess

BassettMom

Wouldn't that be nice if it was retroactive? And for those that booked suites too? ;)

I think "single" is an ambiguous term nowadays. There are "single" parents who have significant others, and so many other arrangements that maybe Princess should be more specific and call them "solo travelers" get-togethers. :confused: I'm married, but travel alone sometimes and I don't like being called "single" when I'm not really.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Princess offers both solo and single M&Gs. The names are kinda self explanatory.:)

I usually pay less than 200% sgl supp on Princess when booking inside or oceanview. My current HAL booking is an ov at 150%. My Princess booking, inside cat ii, is 175%.

I find that Princess at 200% is often less $ for the same category cabin, than HAL at 150%. I paid less for a Princess top category cabin than HAL's bottom in the same category price for the identical itinerary, Canada/NE, and month. Monetarily, the only thing that matters is the bottom line.

BTW - The ship's Maitre d' usually books solos together in the MDR. I found the same on my one Carnival cruise. That works out very well.

BTW #2 - keep this secret, but I book inside on Princess because most Grand class ships have six oversized and far better designed inside cabins on Riviera or Aloha on ships without a Riviera deck. I'd tell you the cabin numbers, but than I'd have to ....you.:)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579356797oqrCfy

Edited by Stevesan

I don't see Solo and a separate Singles M&G on my Patters. Maybe it depends on the CD crew on each individual ship?

Seen a solo meeting in the Patter.

Personally I feel the word should change from single to solo.The word single reminds one of the words cruises for 'Singles' who are out to cruise around if you know what I mean:D;) Where as 'Solo' to meet and chat with like kind with no other motives behind the actions.:)

I don't see Solo and a separate Singles M&G on my Patters. Maybe it depends on the CD crew on each individual ship?

There were 2 mixers on the CB in Dec. Both were listed as "single/solo" so the cruise director grouped the two together. I would have checked it out, but the first one was during dinner and the second was later in the cruise and I was already into my routine on the ship and was doing something else.

There were 2 mixers on the CB in Dec. Both were listed as "single/solo" so the cruise director grouped the two together. I would have checked it out, but the first one was during dinner and the second was later in the cruise and I was already into my routine on the ship and was doing something else.

Thanks. Guess it is up to the CD crew. That's too bad that the timing was off for you. :(

Thanks everyone. I felt very welcome on the HAL cruise I went onand I'm glad to hear that Princess doesn't make solo travellers feel, well, like a third wheel.

I have been on the Roll Call and we are planning a meet and gree. I'm definitely looking forward to meeting everyone in person.

I also plan to attend any solo get-together (guess I'll find out if it's worth attending). I enjoyed the one on HAL--it was a very nice luncheon and it was an opportunity for a bunch of us travelling solo to meet each other. A few of the other widows and I have become friends after meeting each other at the solo luncheon since we had so much in common. I can certainly understand that these get-togethers can also turn into a "singles search for bedmates" and why folks may not want to attend. I hope that's not the case since I plan to go if they have one. Guess I'll find out.

As for the solo supplement, from what you all are saying, it sounds like it varies from cruise to cruise, but everyone I've checked at the Princess website shows 200%, which is what I was charged for my inside cabin to the Mexican Riveria (I booked through my TA, not the Princess website).

That's great news about getting 2 credits for going solo and certainly makes sense since I'm paying for two cruises! Glad Princess recognizes that.

Thanks again for all your comments.

For my November Sailing on the Crown, I would only pay full double on Balcony or above. On interior and ocean view, I get a bit of a break and don't pay the full supplement.

Ex. - Inside cabin is $649 pp when you have 2 people in a cabin, but when I indicate 1 person in the cabin, the total is $973 (instead of $1298).

I just returned March 6th from my cruise on the Caribbean Princess. I had a great time on a very inexpensive last minute rate. Although the single Princess rate is normally 200% supplement, if you check out the last minute normal rates for guarantee cabins the net price deals are good.

I did not attend the single/solo get together but you can meet many people through out the week on the ship.

The staff personnel were great, including the cabin attendant, the waiters at the bars, etc.

Princess is my first choise for solo travel.

I have taken 3 cruises as a solo on RCI, Celebrity, and Princess, and have found little difference as far as feeling comfortable. I enjoyed them all. Taking another on Princess in April. As for price, I have reconciled myself by reasoning that you are paying for space, like a hotel room. It's a matter of semantics. A single pays $200 for a hotel room, and a couple pay $100. pp. Another complication is the bottom line, price drops from the original price. I look for value and it is there. The time, itinerary, etc. all affect that.

• 6 years later...

I'm off to South Amer. soon on the Emerald, 30 days, sailing solo. I've been on the Regal and Royal solo, too, and I never have an issue with Princess and being by myself. I do traditional dining, ask for a large table, always worked out well. Any time doesn't appeal to me as I don't want to re-introduce myself every night or feel like I'm an "add on" at some table.

The pricing bugs me but I want to cruise and prefer Princess. I've had the same TA for 15 years, she does a large volume and I always get a better price than the Princess website.

I traveled for business for many years, often by myself, so being "solo" is no big deal to me. However, I know if this is not something everyone is use to. At the same time if you sit around waiting for other people you will probably never go anywhere. I take 4-6 cruises a year, probably 75% have been solo. I like the freedom & having my own space. Even when I travel with friends I get my own cabin. Except for trans Atlantics I usually book less than 6 wks before sailing. Typically this is after final payment so rates are often lower as is the single supplement. I live in south Florida so I don't have to fly for most cruises & not a lot of planning is required.

I like to do 10 days (fewer kids). The shorter the cruise the more you will see younger hard core party types. Both Norwegian & Carnival attract a younger crowd & have more of a party atmosphere. I have been cruising for many years so I have had a chance to go on most of the lines sailing out of South Florida but, during the past few yrs, it has been mainly RCCI, Celebrity, HAL & Princess. I am near top tier on all of these & perks are similar so that is usually not a consideration when I pick a cruise. All of these lines give double credit for solo occupancy. IMHO none of these lines knock themselves out to be solo friendly but they are starting to as the market is growing. I like to try new ships but I do not like behemoths. Many are too large and you do not even feel like you are on a ship. Too crowded & too much going on is not relaxing, at least to me.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the single supplement. However, I have a per day "sweet spot" of $150. By booking fairly late & doing a "guarantee" I am usually able to stay in that range when doing the Caribbean. About 80% of the time I end up in a balcony. Have gotten the best upgrades from Princess but RCCI & Celebrity have the best past guest rates. I have never done any of the "solo" cabins as most are very small & usually not in very good locations. Also, you can usually get a better rate (& bigger cabin) by booking the least expensive inside.

Meals are a "bugaboo" for a lot of solos & many do traditional dining at a large table. With the exception of Norwegian, I have not heard of any mainstream line that has offered a "single/solo" table in yrs. Most are too understaffed to bother with that. The only thing negative about a large table is that service is always slower. I usually do anytime dining. If I am going to a show I will usually take a book & ask to be seated alone at a table for 2. That way I get served faster & can leave when I am ready. If no plans I will tell them I will share a table. Often I meet people & eat with them. I rarely do the buffet at any meal. I always try the specialty restaurants & feel perfectly comfortable by myself. The only reaction you will get is none at all.

I don't go to any single/solo events on the ship but I do participate in Rollcalls pre cruise. On trans Atlantics (great bargain) they are a great source of information. I enjoy meeting new people & always meet people in casual settings at the pool, coffee bar, wine tastings etc. All it takes sometimes is being the first person to say "hi" & introduce yourself. You just have to make a little effort &, as my daughter says, "get over yourself."

• 8 months later...

I've traveled solo many times on Princess and had a great time every cruise.  Unfortunately, I always pay 200% and from reading the thread, I  now understand because I usually book a balcony room.  That is one of my favorite joys of cruising - to sit for hours watching the water go by, sipping a great wine, listening to music (ipod or iphone), napping or reading a good book.  Just absolute relaxation.  It renews me. You have to rip me from my balcony for anything less than a meal. 

I always get a large table at traditional dining and have been very fortunate with table mates over the years. So many times, we close the place down and the waiters are giving us dirty looks!  It's nice to connect with the same people every night.  Also, I like to book excursions especially in Europe where venturing off on my own could be problematic. Cost wise, it can be expensive since I usually travel in peak seasons, so I usually limit myself to 7 to 10 day cruises.   

I also travel with friends and my daughter.  Sharing hmmmm, has its good side and bad side.

The bottom line is that you can make the cruise just the way YOU want it to be.  If you want to be super social, get involved in activities.  People tend to be really friendly.