Another froufie esp review of my double date with destiny-feb 3 & 7, 2011

Froufie

DEBARKATION DAY - Saturday, Feb 12th, 2011

Ordered room service breakfast for next morning and we were out of the cabins around 9 am (despite being jostled awake around 5:30 with thrusters going and ship pulling into port). I was exhausted as I didn't sleep much and the sunburn was still causing me some pain! (Yes I need a vacation after my vacation). Customs was quick and easy and we grabbed a porter and headed out to the ‘island’ to await our shuttle. Ray had called SAS and told them we were ready for pickup.

Now the weather during the cruise was phenomenal - every day sunny and warm and lovely, except today (which was almost a suitable ending as I was heading back to the cold and snow of Canada). Ray had his fleece lined hoodie on - my sweater/jacket was in my bag but I eventually had to pull it out and put it on as the grey ominous clouds rolled in. It was taking an awfully long time so Ray called again - turned out the shuttle had come by but didn’t see us? But on the 2nd pass they did pull up - and just in time as big fat rain drops were starting to fall! The van was full with only 2 seats left for us - and it was cool to see roll call buddies Betty and Bob on the same shuttle.

It was a quick ride to FLL airport (got there around 10:15 am) with everyone except me getting off at Terminal 1 (bye Ray!) and I went on to terminal 2 on my own. And a busy place it was with the Air Canada line all the way across the airport. My flight was at 1:35 pm (ottawa via montreal) and they were now loading earlier flights. Ever try to go to the washroom with one big suitcase and 2 big and heavy carryon bags? Quite the challenge but I did it - then back in line.

Around 10:40 am line started moving and I was at the ticket counter at 11 am where I was to stay til 11:45 am! (I am never lucky with airline times/flights).

It seems my 1:30 flight was already delayed coming in due to bad weather in Montreal and I had already ‘technically’ missed my connecting flight to Ottawa - of course! The nice lady at the counter was trying very hard to find me another flight (no I was not flying thru toronto) but she kept running into problems having to ask other agents for help, finally the supervisor came over, then the computer froze and she had to call the help desk. She did keep apologizing for the delays but I too was very patient - told her I could wait here or at the gate no real difference for me.

They then suggested I take the direct flight to Ottawa leaving @ 7:15 pm - now I was originally booked on that flight but the thought of spending all day at the airport and getting in at 10:30 pm did not sound like fun so I had switched to the earlier connecting flight. But in the end that is what happened. I did not want to get stuck in Montreal for the night (which seemed to be a possibility) so I agreed to the much later direct flight. And that took a while to set up with boarding passes, ticketing etc so the whole fiasco took 45 minutes. Now my luggage was weighed (48.5 lbs) and to be nice they kept my luggage there for me til they could load it (remember it’s 11:45 am and way early to check luggage for a 7:15 pm flight).

So the FLL airport, terminal 2 became my home for the next few hours. I tried to sleep (noticed a good sleeping technique being used by others). Every trip to the washroom or for food/drink (think caffeine and sugar - thank god for the dunkin donuts!) was a challenge as I lugged a 25 lb carryon and a 10 lb beach bag/purse with me). I was exhausted but tried to stay awake - I had books, ipod, word search to keep me busy - then discovered the free wifi so that was fun. Also called home a few times to advise of my very late arrival - even later cuz of course this flight was late coming in (we didn’t take off til 8 pm and landed around 11:30 pm). The most exciting part was seeing our ex-prime minister Jean Chretien and his wife Aline sitting at the gate and chatting with everyone.

Flight home was okay (I got some cheese/crackers figuring I better add some protein to the sugar/caffeine mix?) – caught some movies/satellite tv and watched the cute babies in the rows beside and behind me (who all decided to start crying around 10:30 pm cuz they were overtired). Dh was circling and kids were in the terminal waiting and because I have a Nexus card I was able to avoid all the customs lines and just sailed thru to the luggage carrousel. Luggage appeared and out I went - back to the cold!

SYNOPSIS:

I would rate this as an excellent cruise - esp cuz of the weather and great times I had and good friends I made. I loved my cabin (but I have had that cabin before on other ships) and enjoyed the excellent service and great food - for me it’s a wonderful break not to have to cook/clean, grocery shop or carpool anyone around - the rest is just a bonus! (ocean breezes, open decks, entertainment, ports, swimming, eating, relaxing.....).

Trying to think of something 'negative'? Guess missing HMC was pretty disappointing but not the end of the world. Wish my Chef's Table experience was like others I read about - may be ship-dependent? And maybe some different comedians? But I am really looking for stuff now and honestly not that picky!;)

The ‘burn’ has turned tan and I am shedding skin like crazy but at least for a few days I look healthy and well-rested with very blonde highlights in my hair!

And yes while I have a bit of post-cruise depression I am already doing research and looking forward to my upcoming cruises!

Thanks to those reading who stuck it out to the end! Hope you liked the review!! :D:D

Any questions/comments welcome!

Loved the review Froufie! Sorry about the kerfuffle with flights home. I would have done the same thing though, as I hate connecting in Toronto and Montreal. You had a great attitude throughout though. Congratulations on reaching Platinum status. When can we expect your next Carnival review? Soon I hope. No cruises booked for me yet, and may have to wait till 2012. Anyway, loved the review, and photos. :)

Thanks so much - ya hate connecting too esp thru Canada due to the whole customs thing (if I am connecting much prefer going thru the States!)......and of course Montreal would be the lesser of 2 evils in comparison to Toronto! :D

Currently booked on Legend in November (trying to convince DH to come with me as cruise buddy Ray is sadly unable to join me)....also booked on the Liberty in January 2012 (and maybe then I'll finally get to visit HMC? :) )

I agree with respect to connections, I have always liked Continental through Newark, ( but not in winter, when the &^%$ hits the fan there, it goes nuts to nowhere! ). And yes, I too prefer Montreal to Toronto, I thought when TO opened the new terminal it would get better, but really hasnt, and Air Canada programs their connections too close together.

Legend is one ship I am contemplating if still out of Tampa. I love Tampa, St Petes. Im also looking at Conquest out of New Orleans when she moves there. I have a good friend who lives in New Orleans, so would love to combine cruise and visit to my friend. Im holding off booking/choosing since Im not sure I can afford the new solo fare, and trying to convince my mother, but she cant decide this soon, since it depends on my father's health. So just biding my time a little. :)

Only bad thing about Tampa for Canadians is something about an early call on debarkation day - for all non-US citizens - like 6:30 am on the ship - passport in hand?? What's up with that? :( (but maybe sailing under the Skyway bridge would make up for that? :) )

Luckily I have LOTS of airmiles now so can pick and choose appropriate flights! :D

Only bad thing about Tampa for Canadians is something about an early call on debarkation day - for all non-US citizens - like 6:30 am on the ship - passport in hand?? What's up with that? :( (but maybe sailing under the Skyway bridge would make up for that? :) )

Luckily I have LOTS of airmiles now so can pick and choose appropriate flights! :D

I remember doing that on my Sensation cruise/Tampa 2000, and again on the Celebrity/Zenith cruise 2002, but I didnt realise until recently "thanks to this board" that that process was still in effect. Yes that is a pain in the neck for sure. Sailing under the Skyway bridge is very nice, for sure. Also good to have those airmiles for flights to Tampa, as I find it usually more expensive than Miami or Ft Lauderdale. Im in Ottawa too, btw.:)

Froufie...thanks so much for your review and pics! Hubby and I are sailing the Destiny ( B2B) on 3/31-4/9/11). I do have a question about the fruit basket/ Champagne and the Sail and Sign cards at the start of the 2nd half of B2B.

I noticed that you said the fruit basket/ Champagne was from the Hotel director. I assume the card indicated it came from the hotel director? I have never heard of back to back guests getting a fruit basket. I usually order one myself but I don't want to order one if we will be given one.

I read where you were given your new Sail and Sign cards and then later you mentioned having to go to the Guest services desk to get your "shiny platinum card." I thought you were given the Platinum card when you all met to go off the ship together. Did I miss read this? The reason I ask is because my 3/31 cruise is my platinum (YAY) but hubby is one behind me so his wont' be until 4/4/11, our second leg of the back to back.

Thanks ! Julie

Froufie...thanks so much for your review and pics! Hubby and I are sailing the Destiny ( B2B) on 3/31-4/9/11). I do have a question about the fruit basket/ Champagne and the Sail and Sign cards at the start of the 2nd half of B2B.

I noticed that you said the fruit basket/ Champagne was from the Hotel director. I assume the card indicated it came from the hotel director? I have never heard of back to back guests getting a fruit basket. I usually order one myself but I don't want to order one if we will be given one.

I read where you were given your new Sail and Sign cards and then later you mentioned having to go to the Guest services desk to get your "shiny platinum card." I thought you were given the Platinum card when you all met to go off the ship together. Did I miss read this? The reason I ask is because my 3/31 cruise is my platinum (YAY) but hubby is one behind me so his wont' be until 4/4/11, our second leg of the back to back.

Thanks ! Julie

The fruit basket and champage were most definitely from the Hotel Director and delivered on the 1st day of 2nd cruise....so if you can hold out til then no need to order the basket :D

You are considered platinum once you have COMPLETED your 9th cruise - so on the morning of the 2nd cruise, your dh like myself will be platinum. Unfortunately they are not that fast so most likely his 2nd card (the one he receives while waiting to do the customs shuffle) will be gold and he will have to go back later that day to exchange it. I would suggest he visit the purser's desk on the last afternoon of 1st leg and make SURE they are aware of the situation and will have his shiny new silver card ready for him!

Should go smooth as silk right? ( I did not get info package/stationary and had to go back later and ask for that but was using the laundry perk and did get a call about the canape delivery!)

The Pink Flamingo was not strong at all (and the ice melts real quick) and Ray reported that the Jerk chicken was very very good! (and not super spicy either!)

Have fun! :D:D

I agree about Tampa not being the best for Canadians disembarking.

Do you use airmiles or aeroplan miles Froufie? I have lots of airmiles accumulated through shopping at Safeway over the years. With four children I went through lots of groceries LOL. Now I'm living alone I still find it hard not to stock up to get the airmiles. I also use the CIBC aeroplan card and put everything on it. What I like about aeroplan is it is 25,000 for a return flight anywhere in North America so is really good value for the long trips to Florida.

Once again Froufie, thank you for the time you spent doing this wonderful review.

Froufie, your reviews are the BEST....wow! There is only 1 thing wrong with it.....that picture of us on the beach at Jack's shack for all the world to see....such beautiful bathing "beauties".......yea, right!!

You really do a top notch job. Talk soon!

:p

We cruised on the Spirit from San Diego in 2007. I FELL IN LOVE with SD, so much so that we booked the exact same cruise for 2008 just so I could go back to SD. We spent 4 days pre and a day post cruise there. If I lived in SD I would never go ANYWHERE! :cool::);):D

Thank You for your compliments on my great city. I realize it is a privledge to live here, but it's a privledge we pay dearly for. Cost of living is very high.

I grew up in upstate NY and left at the tender age of 17 never to return to the cold and snow. We moved to San Diego in 1986, and as with all places, the weather is changing and it is actually cold here in the winter. My DH and I walk every morning around 7:30 and it averages mid-40's on our walk. That is why we headed further south and bought a second home in Cabo San Lucas. Don't know where we'll end up, but for now, it's fun.

Froufie the Liberty is the prettiest ship I have been on in the entire fleet. I can't promise you the CT will be as good as I experienced as I do not know if the same chef will be there, but we at least had a stainless steel table in the galley to set our plates and champagne glasses on and the snacks came out one at a time, so that's a step in the right direction.

Enjoy your new Platinum status. Don't know if you're aware, I'm now a Milestone Cruiser just completed 33! Hope we get to cruise together again.:)

Hey Froufie-its the other half of buddylover...appreciate the pic..THANKS :)....the rest of our cruise was amazing, you have to go southern, its by far my favorite. My next cruise is in the planning stages for my bday....hopefully :) Hope all is well and it was nice meeting you too!

Thank You for your compliments on my great city. I realize it is a privledge to live here, but it's a privledge we pay dearly for. Cost of living is very high.

I grew up in upstate NY and left at the tender age of 17 never to return to the cold and snow. We moved to San Diego in 1986, and as with all places, the weather is changing and it is actually cold here in the winter. My DH and I walk every morning around 7:30 and it averages mid-40's on our walk. That is why we headed further south and bought a second home in Cabo San Lucas. Don't know where we'll end up, but for now, it's fun.

Froufie the Liberty is the prettiest ship I have been on in the entire fleet. I can't promise you the CT will be as good as I experienced as I do not know if the same chef will be there, but we at least had a stainless steel table in the galley to set our plates and champagne glasses on and the snacks came out one at a time, so that's a step in the right direction.

Enjoy your new Platinum status. Don't know if you're aware, I'm now a Milestone Cruiser just completed 33! Hope we get to cruise together again.:)

Showoff :D:D - I know you're a milestone cruise - and I aspire to catch up to you (altho I doubt I ever will? :p)...

Have been on the Liberty before and I agree it is absolutely the prettiest (some would say the least 'offensive'?) of the Carnival ships - and it's going to some of my favorite ports so I am really looking forward to that. As for the CT I will be doing more 'research' closer to my trip to see what the folks are saying - also travelling with a gf and depends on whether or not she is interested as well. At least your experience sounds way better than ours was!

Hey Froufie-its the other half of buddylover...appreciate the pic..THANKS :)....the rest of our cruise was amazing, you have to go southern, its by far my favorite. My next cruise is in the planning stages for my bday....hopefully :) Hope all is well and it was nice meeting you too!

Hi there - it was so much fun meeting you and chatting with you on the beach in Grand Turk - glad you had a great time on the Miracle.

I agree Southern is great - I have done a 'mini-southern (also on the Miracle) to St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten...and loved it - would love to visit all those new ports too (Aruba, Curacao, etc)!

I agree about Tampa not being the best for Canadians disembarking.

Do you use airmiles or aeroplan miles Froufie? I have lots of airmiles accumulated through shopping at Safeway over the years. With four children I went through lots of groceries LOL. Now I'm living alone I still find it hard not to stock up to get the airmiles. I also use the CIBC aeroplan card and put everything on it. What I like about aeroplan is it is 25,000 for a return flight anywhere in North America so is really good value for the long trips to Florida.

Once again Froufie, thank you for the time you spent doing this wonderful review.

Glad you enjoyed the review - and yes I am an avid airmiles collector (and have a travel visa as well which I love cuz it has 'travel insurance' with it)...just hit the pharmacy yesterday and today for their $30/30 bonus miles promotion :D (I am a 'gold' airmiles cardholder). Airmiles used to be quite poopy - they didn't do one ways and you had to call them to book but now all the info and booking engine is online and you can book one ways (you'd be surprised how much cheaper that can be!)....so I am very happy with the improvements and hoping to try it out soon!

I know I'm "new" around here, but this is one of the best reviews I've read! Great review Froufie, looks like a great time! :)

Thanks so much - glad you liked it (and yes I had a FABULOUS time :D)

Froufie, your reviews are the BEST....wow! There is only 1 thing wrong with it.....that picture of us on the beach at Jack's shack for all the world to see....such beautiful bathing "beauties".......yea, right!!

You really do a top notch job. Talk soon!

Now now now - we all know how much better we look in person than on the beach right? :D:D (and remember no one else will ever see you again....at least that's what they say!)

Glad you enjoyed the review (and your 'starring role'! ;) )

Archived