Long time Celebrity cruiser considering changing

#1grammy

I have over 10 cruises on Celebrity, all in suites. I think it is time to explore other options. Tell me what is better about Oceania.

Thanks

Read the current thread comparing to HAL and you'll get much of what your looking for. NO comparison!

I like them both. You have to accept them for what they are. I've very much enjoyed my 1 cruise on both lines. I have both of them booked for future cruises. You will pay much more for a suite on Oceania.

There`s no comparishment--Oceania is far better in every aspect

Fred

I disagree. I cruise both O and C.

Overall, I prefer O but there are a few things things about C I prefer:

Great music all over the ship with lots of opportunity to dance. If if you just like to listen to good music, it is everywhere. On O, music is limited and not nearly as good.

Terrific musical production shows -- not a deal breaker for me but it is a plus for C.

The specialty restaurants on C are far better than any restaurant on O.

I still prefer O, but not everything is better on O.

Be aware - for what you pay for a suite on C you might get an obstructed outside cabin. LOLOL

I'm also a veteran of nine cruises on Celebrity, elite status et al and mostly 14-day sailings, and after two cruises on Oceania I doubt if I'll ever go back. The quality of a Celebrity cruise has declined over the years to the point I no longer find it enjoyable. You won't regret it.

Bruce

Other than the intimacy of the ship (R ships), the big difference for us is the clientele. Oceania passengers tend be more educated, more sophisticated and very well traveled. C passengers are more mixed and there are always a few "yahoos" on a C cruise who either shout instead of talk, behave inappropriately or otherwise are just unpleasant to be around. That's my experience. Of course, the chair hogs were rampant on our last O cruise and there was one foursome who walked around in baggy old gym clothes day and night. They were obvious misfits on O. There are deviations from the norm.

Because we often cruise with close friends, I don't mind the diversity of the C crowd so much as we have our travel companions and it is easy to avoid anyone with whom you do not want to associate (as I always say, it's a big ship). When we cruise alone (which is rare) I feel we are more likely to make new friends on O (and that's where we met our now constant cruise companions).

The specialty restaurants on C are far better than any restaurant on O

I agree that the Specialty Restaurants are one of C's strong suits. The decor and service are particularly good, though I've always found the food all over the place.

Until recently, I might have, overall, conceded this category to Celebrity.

With the advent of the Marina, I'm happy to report that Oceania's Specialty Restaurants have soared into the stratosphere.

Red Ginger, in particular, has more than a dozen menu items which I can only describe as exquisite. I'm not talking "Cruise ship 5 star" but ACTUAL 5 star.

Polo and Tuscana, which we loved on the R ships, have kept their menu's intact for the most part, but have had their service burnished to a diamond perfection.

We never had to ask for anything; it was always offered first. The Captain(s) invariably greeted us by name as we entered the restaurant, and seated us in our preferred section. The iced Cappuccinos, which we prefer, arrived with the dessert menu.

Although we greatly admire some aspects of the Celebrity Restaurants, it appears that Oceania has raised the bar by a huge margin.

I was looking at Marina. I like that size ship and the specialty restaurants looked great. We have grown tired of the food on C except in the specialties, although on our last cruise we did not find Silk Harvest that appealing.

Music is big for us, we enjoy dancing, but more than that we enjoy a nice jazz quartet or relaxing piano music while enjoying a cocktail. Are there any venues to enjoy a martini, make friends and be entertained?

Jim and Stan:

I hope you are right!! I will be on the Marina TA in November and I am looking forward to Jacques and Red Ginger. I have had some good (not great) meals in Toscana -- Polo has been a big disappointment for us. I find the GDR ok (not much different from the MDR on C). We usually opt for Tapas so we are not stuck with one selection. I prefer to graze anyway. LOLOL

I am aware that I am in the minority -- I don't think O's food is over the top. Good, yes, for a cruise ship. Over the top? No. The only great food I've had on a cruise ship is on the Paul Gauguin - fewer than 300 guests, 3 restaurants and the ability to prepare food in smaller quantities makes a difference.

I am hoping that O has kicked it up a notch on Marina.

I have over 10 cruises on Celebrity, all in suites. I think it is time to explore other options. Tell me what is better about Oceania.

Thanks

Here's my two cents:

First, I am also a long time Celebrity cruiser...and an Elite Captain's Club member...

I like both Celebrity AND Oceania...

To give you an idea of the pattern I've settled into, my big summer cruise to Europe (sort of a tradition with us) was on Oceania Nautica in 2009 and on Celebrity Eclipse in 2010...In 2011, it will be on Oceania Marina...but then we'll be back on Celebrity--on the Century--in Australia/New Zealand in December...

So, I guess you could say we go "back and forth" between the two...We also take shorter cruises on other lines as our schedule permits...So, I'd say, though we might have a preference, we really pick cruises for the itinerary, dates, convenience, etc.

I really like BOTH Celebrity AND Oceania...for some different reasons AND for a lot of the same reasons...

What they have in common are some of the traits most important to me:

Roominess: Though Celebrity ships are a bit larger, both line's ships are in the same range as to roominess--to space-per passenger ratios...I appreciate an uncrowded feel...Comfort is important when I cruise...In this regard, both cruise lines fit that parameter and far outdistance most mass market lines...

Food: Food is an important part of cruising to me...I, personally, think Celebrity is very good in this department...and, IMHO, Oceania is even a step better...Oceania really gets high marks for it's cuisine...obviously, nothing wrong with Celebrity here, but, if you enjoy the food on Celebrity, you will certainly enjoy it that much more on Oceania...

Service: IMHO, BOTH of these lines get very high marks for service...Celebrity might take a small edge here only because it's a biproduct of traditional dining seatings--where the waiters really get to know you better...but BOTH lines are very well staffed with large crew-to-passenger ratios and the staff on both lines are very well trained and attentive...and understand what goes into first class service (Call us snobs, but due to various circumstances, we just returned from a dreaded Carnival cruise and, knowing what makes for proper service, we could see so many failings by Carnival staff)...Oceania's service crew are really first rate...and it adds to the experience

Overall: We just feel like we are well treated on BOTH lines...appreciated, valued...and it's not just for being repeat guests...EVERYONE is well treated as should be fitting for anyone paying the fare for either of these cruise lines...

Differences between the lines:

Entertainment: Clearly, up to now, the entertainment has been superior on Celebrity...It comes with the territory of having larger ships with a dedicated showroom with state-of-the-art stage and backstage facilities. Hopefully, this evens out a bit with Marina as it appears to have a dedicated showroom...Perhaps someone who's been on the first couple of voyages of Marina could opine as to improvements in entertainment...

Activities: Again, a major edge to Celebrity...again comes with the territory of a larger ship and more people...The Oceania cruises we've been on thus far tend to "shut down early"...more people seem to be asleep earlier in the evening and not much happening late night whereas Celebrity ships seem to have a lot going on at night...Another big factor here might be the average age of the passengers...With higher fares and no kids or teens programs, Oceania tends to attract an older demographic...

Itineraries: This is where Oceania has a major edge...with smaller ships, Oceania can get into many unique and unusual ports that the larger ships have to pass on...What first attracted us to our first Oceania cruise were the ports we'd never visited on lines like Celebrity and Princess...Oceania has some of the most intriguing itineraries...and when you're a veteran cruiser, it seems you've been to most of the major ports so many times that the "off the beaten track" ports hold more allure...

Now, the addition of the new Marina is very attractive...especially to veteran Celebrity cruisers...It's not as small and limited as the R-ships...and the larger number of passengers and more amenities allow it to match some of the attractive features of the larger ships, yet the space ratios are actually improved, cabins are larger, etc.

If there is a drawback, yes, it is pricier...but, if it fits in your budget, it should definitely be a great cruise experience for any veteran Celebrity cruiser...I think you will find it no worse than comparable in any category...and many attributes, you will find it edging up more toward the "luxury" lines...

For us, it is not a question of never going back to Celebrity...we still love Celebrity...it's a great cruise line that offers excellent cruises...But adding Oceania to our choices just gives us so many more options...

BTW, if you ordinarily cruise in a "Sky Suite" on Celebrity, I don't think you will find that the "ordinary" balcony cabin on Oceania will be that much different...the sizes are actually about the same...

If I were you, I'd go ahead and try it...Maybe come join us on the August 10 voyage!!

Good luck...

Thank you Bruin Steve, that was a most comprehensive comparison of the 2 lines.

We are late 50's and love the entertainment around the bars, but don't stay up much past 10 so late night entertainment isn't an issue. We are both in the medical profession and get to work early so staying up late is hard to get accustomed to while on vacation.

Food is an issue and I guess I have been on too many Celebrity cruises. I recognize the menus way too fast and have tried it all. i would like to try something new.

We usually are in a sky suite, although last year tried a Celebrity suite for a special occasion. I like the space. 300 square feet in a sky suite on Solstice is fine and the cabins on Marina seem to be well appointed.

I will take a look at your August cruise, although It may be hard for Demon Deacons to travels with Bruins.

Here's my two cents:

..........Perhaps someone who's been on the first couple of voyages of Marina could opine as to improvements in entertainment...

BTW, if you ordinarily cruise in a "Sky Suite" on Celebrity, I don't think you will find that the "ordinary" balcony cabin on Oceania will be that much different...the sizes are actually about the same...

I agree with most of your comments.

I have been on Celebrity's M and S class, as well as O's R and M class. We have to compare apples to apples.

Sky suites on C's M class is about same size as PH on O's R ships.

The 300 sq ft Sky suites on S class is not only smaller than PH on Marina, which in my estimate is 360 sq ft ( since it is 50% larger than the regular cabins ) it does not have the extra seating for in room dining, stand alone shower, and walk in closet. So, in the case of Marina, its PH are superior to SS on Solstice ships, even without going into the noise problem with many SS2 cabins.

No question Marina now has a show lounge, but it is still not up to par to Celebrity's ( M or S class) First of all, the stage is raised less than a foot, so you don't see the dance steps of a production show unless you're seated very near the front. Secondly, the stage is small and looks very crowded even with a cast of 8. Thirdly, the slope of the theatre is rather gentle, affecting the sight line. On the other hand, lectures and cooking demo were not influenced by the aforementioned factors. We didn't find this a big deal since our dinners often ran later than 9:30, which was when the production shows began. They only offered one show time in the evening.

........., but don't stay up much past 10 so late night entertainment isn't an issue. ........

Food is an issue and I guess I have been on too many Celebrity cruises. I recognize the menus way too fast and have tried it all. i would like to try something new.

On Marina's maiden voyage, 6:30 seatings were the least popular when it came to pre cruise specialty booking online. Great for people who prefer to eat early.

Quality and variety of food on Marina completely ( from specialty restaurant OVERALL , to casual dining as in Oceanview cafe VS. Terrace ) wins hands down. My latest comparison was just 80 days apart.

I will be on the Eclipse (Baltics) in August and the Marina (TA) in November. I look forward to comparing the two at that time.

I am looking forward to both cruises. I seem to enjoy myself no matter what!

I forgot to emphasize TWO more specialty restaurants on Marina that further enhance the dining experience. Privee is far far better than any restaurant on Celebrity. La Reserve has 2 different menus, so it'll take up two nights ( if you can find out which two nights the menus are different ) Then the four specialty restaurants. Even Terrace Cafe ( on Marina ) now got dressed up to be more in keeping with an upscale restaurant on land, definitely superior to Oceanview on Solstice class.

You do need a TA to fully enjoy all these wonderful meals , that are meant to be experienced slowly.

Of course, I'm only commenting on the food part. Eclipse is a ship double the size of Marina, thus entertainment and variety of bars excel. Internet too, for now.

Archived