Louisbourg Fortress

jkw2765

We are coming in June and would like to know the best way to get to the fortress. We will be in port from 1-7 pm. Is it best to take a taxi or hire a tour guide? Is it possible to see the Miner's Museum as well or will that be too much to do together? Thanks for your responses!

We are coming in June and would like to know the best way to get to the fortress. We will be in port from 1-7 pm. Is it best to take a taxi or hire a tour guide? Is it possible to see the Miner's Museum as well or will that be too much to do together? Thanks for your responses!

You will be in port for 6 hours. It will be about 30 mins before you can get off the ship and probably another 30 to get your car and do the paper work. The drive to the fortress is about 45 minutes. You then have to park in the visitors' centre lot, buy your ticket, and then wait for a shuttle bus to take you to the fortress. You could easily spend most of the day at the fortress as it is so large and there is so much to see.

Your time will be very limited as you have to allow time to catch the shuttle back to the visitor centre and take another 45 minutes to drive back to Sydney. Then you have to return your car, and be on board the ship 30 minutes prior to sailing.

What I am trying to point out is that you really don't have time to do the fortress justice with only a six hour port time. It is really only a five hour port time due to the 30 minute delay in leaving the ship and the requirement that you be onboard 30 minutes prior to sailing.

If the ship happens to be offering the excursion, I would really take it through them with the limited time. At least then you would not have to worry about missing the ship.

As to your second question---there would not be time to do both the fortress and the Miners' Museum.

Although I live on the other coast of Canada, I have been to the Fortress of Louisbourg and must say it is an amazing recreation of Canadian and indeed North American history and something that should not be missed. That said I would be very inclined to recommend that you follow sapper 1's advice and take a ships tour as your time frame is very limited.

We opted to sign up for the ships tour for that exact reason. We are on the CB Princess cruise that departs as you return, so we have the same itinerary. We normally prefer to do our own excursions, but in instances where time will be tight it just makes sense to book through the ship. It sounds like an amazing place and I'm sure I will wish we had more time to spend there, but I plan to make the most of the time we do have!

We opted to sign up for the ships tour for that exact reason. We are on the CB Princess cruise that departs as you return, so we have the same itinerary. We normally prefer to do our own excursions, but in instances where time will be tight it just makes sense to book through the ship. It sounds like an amazing place and I'm sure I will wish we had more time to spend there, but I plan to make the most of the time we do have!

Make sure you take a warm sweater or fleece with you. The temperature in Sydney will be no indication of the temperature at the fortress. It sits out on a point of land that juts into the sea and tends to be foggy and cooler than surrounding areas.

I Live in Sydney and welcome you to our little area of Heaven. I agree with all the previous posts. Your best bet would be to book the excursion through the ship. Also June is still pretty chilly around these parts( however they are forcasting a wamer spring this year! One can hope) so definitely bring something warm to wear. Dress in layers. Enjoy your trip:)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm taking a HAL cruise this fall, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Fortress. We skipped Sydney due to weather on a cruise a few years ago, and I'm hoping that we'll have better luck this time.

HAL offers several tours to the fortress, and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. We can take a general tour, or we can take an in-depth, hands-on tour. I'm thinking about the kitchen and cooking one.

We've been to Williamsburg, Sturbridge, Upper Canada Village, and we really enjoy seeing these restored/recreated towns.

So, what's my best choice? Spending a lot of the day in one place, or seeing more of the site?

• 1 month later...

Youall know Louisbourg was originally called Louisburg and is a wonderful Ice Free Port.

I wish the S & L Railway was running also well.

HISTORY - THE S & L RAILWAY 1895 TO 1968

http://fortress.uccb.ns.ca/historic/s_l.html

tstation.jpg

Number 87!

numb87.jpg

A Research Site for the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada operated by the Louisbourg Institute ~

Un site de recherche du lieu historique national du Canada de la Forteresse-de-Louisbourg géré par l'Institut de Louisbourg

The time you spend there is a very personal choice. You should research it and see. Canada and Nova Scotia have spent $CDN Millions on the Fortress

My next scheduled day in Sydney is May 19th, 2011 a.d. acoming soon..

The staffing is like a flag at half-mast at that time there.

So I am looking at doing something else with the short sort in the Port of Call in Sydney, NS it is only from 1:00 to 7:00 pm AT.

The Province is wonderful, the Cape Breton Island area is one of the Worlds finest to be in (IMHO) and the people are Excellent!

I am still looking to plan the short sort stay (SSS) have on the CB in Port that day.

Any ideas?

The others who have longer see the envy in me... LoL..

Most of all enjoy the area, people, history flora, and fauna.

You will be in port for 6 hours. It will be about 30 mins before you can get off the ship and probably another 30 to get your car and do the paper work. The drive to the fortress is about 45 minutes. You then have to park in the visitors' centre lot, buy your ticket, and then wait for a shuttle bus to take you to the fortress. You could easily spend most of the day at the fortress as it is so large and there is so much to see.

Your time will be very limited as you have to allow time to catch the shuttle back to the visitor centre and take another 45 minutes to drive back to Sydney. Then you have to return your car, and be on board the ship 30 minutes prior to sailing.

What I am trying to point out is that you really don't have time to do the fortress justice with only a six hour port time. It is really only a five hour port time due to the 30 minute delay in leaving the ship and the requirement that you be onboard 30 minutes prior to sailing.

If the ship happens to be offering the excursion, I would really take it through them with the limited time. At least then you would not have to worry about missing the ship.

As to your second question---there would not be time to do both the fortress and the Miners' Museum.

After reading your post again, I'm wondering if I should bother with the tour to the fortress. I had looked at the 2010 tours, but now I've been able to see the 2011 tours, and it's disappointing. Because we will be there after Oct 15, there will be no costumed interpreters, and I get the impression that food services will be limited or closed.

Our only option for a ship's tour is a half-day tour. They say we get a 45 minute guided walk and then 1 1/2 hours on our own. From what I can see on the website, that isn't seem enough time to see very much of this extensive site.

So, is it the ship's tour worth taking, or should we do something else and plan on a land-based trip when we can really enjoy what the site has to offer "in season"?

So, is it the ship's tour worth taking, or should we do something else and plan on a land-based trip when we can really enjoy what the site has to offer "in season"?

No question in my mind that if you are coming back, go to Louisbourg then. Enjoy a nice drive to Baddeck and area.

I recommend renting a car (do a search for previous threads) and enjoying a lovely drive to Baddeck, on to Iona, and back another way.

http://goo.gl/maps/1gsW

I am scheduled to visit next week. I know that it isn't going to be warm.

According to the fortress web-site, services this time of year are by prior arrangement.

Let's just hope Holland America will make the proper "prior arrangements".

I know some will proclaim "don't go in May, come back sometimes in the summer",

but hey...if one loves forts, one loves forts. That's me !

On my last Canada/New England cruise, I was so impressed with Nova Scotia ( Halifax). Lovely place...lovely people.

I called HAL shore excursion office before booking the tour and was told they have "special arrangements" with them and will have everything at the fortress available for their tours. Would you please let us know when you return if this was the case?

I called HAL shore excursion office before booking the tour and was told they have "special arrangements" with them and will have everything at the fortress available for their tours. Would you please let us know when you return if this was the case?

Thanks for the feedback. Speaking of feedback, I will provided trip details when I return.

It should be fun !

Hi maryann ns,

How much does it cost for the Ferry at Iona and from Little Narrows now?

Is one also at Grand Narrows and what does that cost?

Thank you .

No question in my mind that if you are coming back, go to Louisbourg then. Enjoy a nice drive to Baddeck and area.

I recommend renting a car (do a search for previous threads) and enjoying a lovely drive to Baddeck, on to Iona, and back another way.

http://goo.gl/maps/1gsW

Archived