UK Blog Post: Where is there left to cruise?

LauraS

• Administrators

With the general state of unrest in the world at the moment, cruise ports are being dropped from itineraries like hot potatoes. Mazatlan in Mexico is out of the picture for a number of lines following a spate of killings. Tunisia, although calming down, is off the menu for the foreseeable future. Egypt is hopefully [...]

More...

Could the Suez Canal be another place to avoid? I expect a few cruise ships will be using it shortly on their way back from world cruises. I know the QM2, the QE and Arcadia are due there next month. If they don't use it, this means they'll have to sail all the way round the bottom of Africa.

I suppose the Med, Caribbean and the Pacific are going to get somewhat crowded then!!

Funnily enough, we were supposed to holiday in Egypt with Jet2 (Tropicana Azure Club) but they have cancelled all holidays as from 1st March to Egypt. The cancellation led us to immediately rethink our plans and my OH and I were both thinking the same thing whilst at our work place - 40 miles apart!!! Caribbean cruise!!!!

We looked into it last year but were told at the time they were taking only holding bokings as Princess had a full flight. So with a bit of ringing around (16 hours over a Friday night!) we managed to get it booked - Caribbean Princess April 17th.

I find it ironic how political unrest and natural diasters (New Zealand) have led to cruise lines dropping ports of call and creating a bit of a mess in the cruise industry, yet it's led us to booking a cruise!!!:D

Thomson Celebration had to change the port stops, and sailed through the Suez Canal last week- and I see that T. Spirit, tomorrow, is doing the full Red Sea cruise including trips to Cairo and Luxor. These countries in the Middle East will need hard cash for their recovery, and will start to open up fairly quickly.

Are there many cruises including Cyprus? I'd have thought 2 stops there; 2 on Crete, and one on Malta, would be a superb cruise.

Jo.

Archived