Suitcase Security @ Miami Airport

RosieRuby

Hello fellow cruisers!

For all you cruisers that use Miami airport, can you please advise if you lock your suitcases before checking in or not?

We have heard different things - security expect you to leave them unlocked but we're concerned that if we do this and something happens we won't be insured due to not locking the cases!

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

RosieRuby

Hello fellow cruisers!

can you please advise if you lock your suitcases before checking in or not?

RosieRuby

I have not been to the Miami airport in the last two years BUT you can always buy a TSA approved lock for your baggage!

Never had problems locking my bags - the combination lock type probably is the best for you. TSA has a key that opens them

Yes, it's either the TSA locks or nothing. Or, you can use cable ties, which is what we do when travelling in North America. They don't really protect the contents, but they deter casual theft. Important to pack a nail clipper in the outside flap somewhere so that you can cut the ties when you arrive at your destination.

Yes, it's either the TSA locks or nothing. Or, you can use cable ties, which is what we do when travelling in North America. They don't really protect the contents, but they deter casual theft. Important to pack a nail clipper in the outside flap somewhere so that you can cut the ties when you arrive at your destination.

I Second Wendy's comments. We just returned from a Journey cruise that ended in Miami and we used fluorescent cable ties. They make it easy to spot your luggage after the fact. If TSA has to open your bag, they will cut the ties and leave a note in your bag. Odds are no one else will cut them and try to reseal them - as the fluorescent ties aren't that easy to come by...

I Second Wendy's comments. We just returned from a Journey cruise that ended in Miami and we used fluorescent cable ties. They make it easy to spot your luggage after the fact. If TSA has to open your bag, they will cut the ties and leave a note in your bag. Odds are no one else will cut them and try to reseal them - as the fluorescent ties aren't that easy to come by...

mikesms,

I like the fluorescent tie idea.

Steve

Archived