San Diego: Need Suggestions for Mexican Restaurant in Old Town

I have searched this forum and others, read many reviews and still cannot come to a conclusion.

We will only be in town for 3 nights before our cruise and would like to have Mexican (more Tex-Mex) in Old Town one night for dinner and one lunch as well. Looking for great "real" guacamole (not a dip/mix) and great chips, good steak fajitas and chicken enchiladas (we don't have any Mexican restaurants close to us at home and we crave it big time!).

This is what I have concluded and please tell me your opinions or if I am incorrect on these "assumptions" based on many reviews I have read:

Old Town Mexican Cafe - you either love it or you hate it - lol. People have said that the only good thing is watching the old ladies make the tortillas....

La Pinata - not too popular with tourists - more popular with locals - average and bad reviews....

Casa Guadalajara - great atmosphere, mariachi band, great happy hour and great reviews BUT also quite a few bad reviews about bad tasting food, dirty place, a possum living in a tree in the middle of the restaurant & he comes down to get food....:eek: and a dead cockroach on someone's plate:eek::eek:. (This is where I "thought" we were going until I read about the dead cockroach....)

Fred's Mexican Cafe - have read lots of bad reviews (putting someone's "used" chips back into the central chip warming station - EEK!) and after asking some friends - they have personally told me not to go there.

Cafe Coyote - some good, some bad - people have said that they don't make "fresh" guacamole there - it is like a dip out of a container like you buy in the supermarket. Others have described it as bad cafeteria food....I "thought" this might be a good alternative after reading about Casa Guadalajara's dead cockroach....but now, not so sure...

I think those are the only ones that I have been looking at so far....anyone have any suggestions? Are the reviews that I have read "out to lunch"?

Should we go to Casa Guadalajara for the happy hour - have drinks and hear the music and then go elsewhere to eat dinner?

Any help would be appreciated.:)

Canuck

WINEMANVISALIA - Thanks for the info. I had looked at that briefly but because it hasn't been mentioned too much (or at least I didn't come across too much info in my research so far) I sort of was on the fence - haha. I will definitely look at it more closely now! Thanks:D

Canuck

The Cosmopolitan is a new restaurant in an old building.

I haven't been there yet but it has a chef (whose name I have forgotten) from one of our other better restaurants.

I don't think it is Mexican though??

Canuck, I don't know where you are reading these reviews? I will never go to the Old Town Mexican Cafe again until someone can assure me that the chef that was there a few years ago is gone!! I brought family from back east who had read about it , maybe from Rachel Ray, and all 6 of us ordered different dishes. Not ONE of them was good!!!

I used to bring guests to Casa Guadalajara all the time and have never seen a possum there!! I was unhappy with the service the last time and my mole( my favorite dish) was not good but I don't eat your dishes so cannot comment.

I was going to suggest Cafe Coyote but haven't eaten there. Most locals I know, don't go to Old Town for Mexican food as there are better places in local neighborhoods.WHERE are you staying?

The Cosmopolitan is a new restaurant in an old building.

I haven't been there yet but it has a chef (whose name I have forgotten) from one of our other better restaurants.

I don't think it is Mexican though??

Canuck, I don't know where you are reading these reviews? I will never go to the Old Town Mexican Cafe again until someone can assure me that the chef that was there a few years ago is gone!! I brought family from back east who had read about it , maybe from Rachel Ray, and all 6 of us ordered different dishes. Not ONE of them was good!!!

I used to bring guests to Casa Guadalajara all the time and have never seen a possum there!! I was unhappy with the service the last time and my mole( my favorite dish) was not good but I don't eat your dishes so cannot comment.

I was going to suggest Cafe Coyote but haven't eaten there. Most locals I know, don't go to Old Town for Mexican food as there are better places in local neighborhoods.WHERE are you staying?

riffatsea - I have been reading reviews on here, TA, Urbanspoon, Yelp, Yahoo etc. etc.

We are staying downtown (HIOTB) and won't have a rental car.

When I looked at the Cosmopolitan's menu before - I "thought" I saw Mexican, but will have to look again to confirm.

We are also going to be having two other non-Mexican dinners. Thinking of Roy's next to the Marriott (heard that the food was good), Bertrand's at Mister A's for happy hour drinks & to see the view, C-Level for happy hour drinks and/or dinner & for the view, Island Prime for steaks, Buon Appetito for Italian, Croce's Jazz Bar for drinks/music, The Field Irish Pub for music/drinks. Also going to see Coronado and thinking of lunch at either Sheerwater's at The Del or Peohe's at The Ferry Landing. Too many restaurants and so little time!! Any suggestions or "do not do's" would be appreciated!:D

Thanks,

Canuck

No, the Cosmopolitin is NOT Mexican food. It is mostly American/California cuisine. I ate there for Restaurant Week and it was very good (somewhat slow on service) but if you want Mexican, that is not the place.

I do miss the old Casa de Bandini (which is now the Cosmopolitin). The only thing remaining from those days are the big margaritas in the bar. It was one of my favorite places to take guests from out of town. Their new location is all the way out in La Mesa, and I don't like it as well.

I am one of those who always enjoys the Old Town Mexican Cafe. I often eat at Casa Guadalajara and enjoy it. Simple food, nice atmosphere. A little more upscale is El Agave, which I don't see on your list. They are especially famous for their huge selection of tequilas!

If you want a little more upscale and aren't particular about location, you could instead take the little passenger ferry from near the cruise port over to Coronado and eat at Candelas (at the Ferry Landing) or the one in the Gaslamp, although I think it is too expensive for what you get. Miguel's (in Coronado near the Hotel Del Coronado or at the entrance to Shelter Island) is also a dependably good Mexican restaurant. They also have an Old Town location but I have never eaten there.

For really basic, but good Mexican (take out), take the San Diego Trolley (light rail) from downtown and go to El Indio (Washington Street station). Their tortilla chips alone are worth the trip!

Rubio's (many, many locations, fast food) is the best for great fish tacos in my opinion.

Another vote for OTMC. This restaurant has seemed to keep it's quality. In December DH had the Vegetarian Mole enchiladas. They are on the menu on Saturday nights. Much better than the fajitas which were good but they didn't come on a sizzling hotplate.

No, the Cosmopolitin is NOT Mexican food. It is mostly American/California cuisine. I ate there for Restaurant Week and it was very good (somewhat slow on service) but if you want Mexican, that is not the place.

I do miss the old Casa de Bandini (which is now the Cosmopolitin). The only thing remaining from those days are the big margaritas in the bar. It was one of my favorite places to take guests from out of town. Their new location is all the way out in La Mesa, and I don't like it as well.

I am one of those who always enjoys the Old Town Mexican Cafe. I often eat at Casa Guadalajara and enjoy it. Simple food, nice atmosphere. A little more upscale is El Agave, which I don't see on your list. They are especially famous for their huge selection of tequilas!

If you want a little more upscale and aren't particular about location, you could instead take the little passenger ferry from near the cruise port over to Coronado and eat at Candelas (at the Ferry Landing) or the one in the Gaslamp, although I think it is too expensive for what you get. Miguel's (in Coronado near the Hotel Del Coronado or at the entrance to Shelter Island) is also a dependably good Mexican restaurant. They also have an Old Town location but I have never eaten there.

For really basic, but good Mexican (take out), take the San Diego Trolley (light rail) from downtown and go to El Indio (Washington Street station). Their tortilla chips alone are worth the trip!

Rubio's (many, many locations, fast food) is the best for great fish tacos in my opinion.

Splinter - thanks for all the info - much appreciated. We ate at Miguel's at Shelter Island last trip and didn't really enjoy so don't want to go back there.

Another vote for OTMC. This restaurant has seemed to keep it's quality. In December DH had the Vegetarian Mole enchiladas. They are on the menu on Saturday nights. Much better than the fajitas which were good but they didn't come on a sizzling hotplate.

I can't eat a lot of authentic Mexican because of my food allergies. A lot of people don't realize that mole is made from nuts and I am allergic to nuts. I am also allergic to corn and all fish and seafood so that is why I go for the fajitas and more Tex-Mex variety.

Thanks people!!:)

Canuck

We ate at Cafe Coyote on New Years Eve. The food was good and we all enjoyed it. I remember having some guacamole on an entree and don't recall it being like supermarket dip (which is really more like sour cream). I just checked their menu online and it says they make the guacamole daily. I have nothing bad to say about our meal. There were 9 of us and we all liked it. We eat a lot of Mexican food and I am not the most picky person with Mexican food but I certainly won't eat bad Mexican food!

Jen in SoCal

I have searched this forum and others, read many reviews and still cannot come to a conclusion.

Cafe Coyote - some good, some bad - people have said that they don't make "fresh" guacamole there - it is like a dip out of a container like you buy in the supermarket. Others have described it as bad cafeteria food....I "thought" this might be a good alternative after reading about Casa Guadalajara's dead cockroach....but now, not so sure...

I think those are the only ones that I have been looking at so far....anyone have any suggestions? Are the reviews that I have read "out to lunch"?

Should we go to Casa Guadalajara for the happy hour - have drinks and hear the music and then go elsewhere to eat dinner?

Any help would be appreciated.:)

Canuck

Thank you Jen for that info. Glad to know that they say that they make the guac fresh - someone wrote a review that it was not good - hopefully they were wrong. It is hard to sift through all the reviews and try to determine which ones are legit sometimes...:)

I will put it back on my list per your recommendation.

Thanks!

Canuck

A slight aside...the city of Fallbrook is about 40 miles north of SD. That area is the nation's "avocado capital". So, you're close to the source if you like guacamole!

Is that where Tom Selleck has his avocado farm?:D Maybe not....

Canuck

They are called "avocado ranches" (not farms) for some reason. I always have this image of the owners herding groups of alligator pears (and old name for avocados).

Keep in mind we don't have Tex-Mex much in CA. We do have California/Mexican, which is different. With all your allergies, you might want to have a different type of food. We have so many options in SD other than just Mexican food!

I can't eat a lot of authentic Mexican because of my food allergies. A lot of people don't realize that mole is made from nuts and I am allergic to nuts. I am also allergic to corn and all fish and seafood so that is why I go for the fajitas and more Tex-Mex variety.

Thanks people!!:)

Canuck

Totally understand. We travel with peanut, treenut and chocolate allergies. A good mole would do them all in. Our Nut gal can eat Pipian. It's a Mexican green sauce made with Pinenuts. The only 'nut' she can eat.

IIRC OTMC does flour tortilla chips.

Totally understand. We travel with peanut, treenut and chocolate allergies. A good mole would do them all in. Our Nut gal can eat Pipian. It's a Mexican green sauce made with Pinenuts. The only 'nut' she can eat.

IIRC OTMC does flour tortilla chips.

Pipian is made with pumpkin seeds, not pine nuts.

SadieN and Rosefloater - thanks very much for the info. I can't eat any nuts but I can eat pumpkin seeds!:)

They are called "avocado ranches" (not farms) for some reason. I always have this image of the owners herding groups of alligator pears (and old name for avocados).

Keep in mind we don't have Tex-Mex much in CA. We do have California/Mexican, which is different. With all your allergies, you might want to have a different type of food. We have so many options in SD other than just Mexican food!

When I say "Tex-Mex" - I am generalizing - as in talking about FAJITAS for instance (which is not "authentic" Mexican if you ask a real Mexican person.....) - I don't mean the food has to come from Texas:). As I have said before, most Canadians and a lot of Americans refer to this type of food as "Tex-Mex" (obviously in California - they do not....) People on TA and here seem to have a thing about "Tex-Mex" - LOL. I mean "Americanized" Mexican is what I mean. And no, I do not want a different type of food - I LOVE MEXICAN! We frequent Mexico on land as well as on cruises and I could eat Mexican every day of the week. I know what my allergies are and I do okay.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Canuck

We live in the LA area and drive down to SD once or twice a year, and would not miss Coyote Cafe, the food is always good and consistant, and the atmosphere is great.

Be prepared to wait for a table on weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

When ever I go to Old Town the only place I eat at is the Rockin' Baja. Love their Big Baja bucket for two with the lobster, shrimp, steak & chicken around $40 bucks, but plenty of food for 2 people. You also get a LG. Cesar Salad served family style with unlimited tortillas & a yummy salsa bar with a good variety of salsas to choose from. Also unlimited beans & rice as well. There Margaritas are really good too. I love the water fall in the back & always ask for a table next to it. If you haven't been there you must go

For Coronado, I'd say go visit the del Coronado Hotel just to see it, but eat at Peohe. It has a magnificant view across the bay to the city and very good food. We've eaten at Casa Guadalajara quite a few times with family and friends and have never had a negative experience, but we love it especially for their fish tacos which wouldn't be a good choice for you!

Is El Torito still around? I know they were good when I lived there but have not been there for many years. If they are still around, do they still have good food?

Diane

Yes Diane, El Torito is still around, but it's not the restaurant is used to be when we lived in California. At one point, they were also in the Midwest and when they merged with Chi-Chis, the Family Restaurants chain closed many of the midwest locations including the one in Schaumburg, IL. Foodmaker, owner at the time of Jack in the Box, bought the Chi-Chi branded restaurants in 1988 and sold them to Family Restaurants, which at the time owned El Torito, in 1994. They converted some of the El Toritos in the Midwest to Chi-Chis, but the food was world's apart and Chi-Chis closed up many stores. El Torito now has new owners.

When I lived in California years ago, we went to El Torito and Red Onion often, but it sure has changed since we've eaten both in the Foster City and Monterrey locations years later. We stopped going to them on our subsequent trips to the SF Bay area.

I remember when I lived in San Miguel de Allende (70 miles north of Mexico City) for a 14 months, the area had about 60 great restaurants. When asked which was the "best", 45 different answers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your comments. Think we've got the Mexican lunch and dinner down - Cafe Coyote for lunch and Casa Guadalajara for dinner - as I think both of those places might have the best atmosphere for us.

Now - we need another 2 days and nights of non-Mexican. Torn between Island Prime and Ruth's Chris (we have never been to one as we don't have them here in Canada) for dinner - any one have any comments?

We are looking to have drinks/happy hour at Bertrand at Mister A's and also at C Level (we are view people). We also might eat at The Field Irish Pub. But a good Italian that serves veal and beef dishes (I am allergic to pasta) might be nice too.

Any suggestions/comments are most welcome.:D

Thanks,

Canuck

I would go with Island Prime - I think the steaks are comparable with Ruth Chris and you have that fantastic view of this beautiful city. Another good steak place is Lou and Mickey's right under the Gaslamp sign - a great place for people watching too.

Archived