Passport question

jenpan

Sailing on the Spirit next week. What is the best procedure for passports once onboard. Lock in safe and take a photocopy on shore when in port or take original passport into port. Is there a problem when in port if using a photocopy? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

You will get very strong opinions and advice on both sides of this issue. My best advice is to read the numerous threads and posts on this and form your own opinion.

As for using a photocopy, it all depends on what purpose you want to use it for. ID for a purchase, getting through the port security, etc. No Problem.

Accepted for a flight back home? No. You would have to obtain a temporary duplicate or replacement passport from a local consular official before flying. Having the copy might make that faster, but it might not be any faster than having a BC, for example and depends more on the reason for the emergency than anything else.

I am a firm beliver that if you are going ashore in country other than the US, you should take your passport. If you get stuck/arrested/involved with police or any of a 100 different situations will a photocopy be enough?

I don't know, and wouldn't want to find out. I want my 100% positive proof that I am a US citizen.

Jack

If you're just going to stay and shop near the pier, I wouldn't bother bringing it. But if I was leaving the general area of the pier and either exploring by myself or going on an excursion that would take me far from the ship, I'd bring my passport with me.

You do need a photo ID and your key card to get on and of the ship,so carrying your passport is no hardship. Just guard it as you do with anything else you carry.

Since when is a photocopy acceptable? If you're going to need your passport, bring the real thing.

I think on our last cruise, though, you just needed your keycard and your driver's license or some other form of picture ID to get on and off the ship, so I just left my passport on the ship.

Many people will advise you to take a photo copy.

If you cheque most Gov. Dept of External Affairs web sites, you will find a photocopy of a passport means nothing.

You must have the original document.

Do what you feel is best for you.

Since when is a photocopy acceptable? If you're going to need your passport, bring the real thing.

I think on our last cruise, though, you just needed your keycard and your driver's license or some other form of picture ID to get on and off the ship, so I just left my passport on the ship.

No one was suggesting a copy would do if you were in a situation that actually required a passport, such as for an international flight.

Some people take a copy ashore as ID in lieu of or in addition to their drivers license.

Sailing on the Spirit next week. What is the best procedure for passports once onboard. Lock in safe and take a photocopy on shore when in port or take original passport into port. Is there a problem when in port if using a photocopy? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

There are some people who always take their passports ashore but there are others, like hubby and me, who always leave passports in the safe and only take a photocopy ashore. We've never had to use our passports when ashore, not even the copy, and we always make sure to be back aboard in plenty of time.

I'd say do whatever YOU are most comfortable with doing.

I worry about losing it or having it stolen while off the ship. If I were going on an excursion not booked through the ship and there were a possibility of not making it back in time I would consider taking it with me.

I always take my passport with me, in case any problem ever arises. That's what they are for.

Back on the ship I leave a certified copy of my birth certificate and my daughter's citizenship certificate (she was adopted overseas), along with a Xerox of our passports. If we lose a passport somehow, then I can use those documents to get back into the US from a cruise and/or use them at a consulate to get replacement passports.

The main reason to bring at least a copy of your passport is that, in case you need to actually HAVE your passport, a copy will make is much easier to get a passport replacement if need be. I am mixed on when we take a copy vs actual - if we are going to the beach or snorkeling cruise, or anywhere where we might be leaving items (as opposed to a walking tour where we are always carrying them on our person) we generally bring only a copy. We always bring the actual passports when we are taking an extended tours, like overnights or tours far from the ship. Anything in between is based on which country we are in, the risk of theft, the risk of being left behind, etc...

Robin

Here's what we have done. We carry our passport cards off ship for ID. It's valid, can get wet and fits nice in my pocket with ship and credit card. We leave the passport books in safe. If lost or stolen (cards) we still have valid ID to get back in country as well as we wont have to make a trip to the DMV for a new DL when we get back. If I didn't have the cards, I'd carry a copy of the passport (along with DL) for reasons stated in previous posts. JMHO your milage may vary.:D

I am a former consular officer who used to assist Americans in distress abroad. I almost never carry my passport with me when I travel-- it goes directly in the hotel or ship safe, and I keep a photocopy with me. If I have a crisis, I will give someone the safe combo to get it out for me, and in the interim, while not actual proof of anything, the photocopy will give the authorities the necessary info to verify my identity and citizenship. The exception, as another poster mentioned above, is if I will be traveling far from the hotel or will be on an excursion that might make it difficult to make it back to the ship on time-- in those cases I carry it with me. In any other circumstance, there is a chance it could be lost or stolen, so I prefer not to have it on my person.

I am a former consular officer who used to assist Americans in distress abroad. I almost never carry my passport with me when I travel-- it goes directly in the hotel or ship safe, and I keep a photocopy with me. If I have a crisis, I will give someone the safe combo to get it out for me, and in the interim, while not actual proof of anything, the photocopy will give the authorities the necessary info to verify my identity and citizenship. The exception, as another poster mentioned above, is if I will be traveling far from the hotel or will be on an excursion that might make it difficult to make it back to the ship on time-- in those cases I carry it with me. In any other circumstance, there is a chance it could be lost or stolen, so I prefer not to have it on my person.

Best advice I've seen on this matter. Thanks

Archived