Cinco de Mayo 2011

cruisdog

I have been on a cruise in Mexico 2 times during Cinco del Mayo and both times little was going on. The first time there was a local marching band at the cruise terminal in Ensenada playing Mexican Music and the 2nd time we saw a parade from the ship on Stone Island in Mazatlan. Other than that, it was very low key. They did have a Mexican buffet out by the pool at approximately 10 PM and that was wonderful!

Cinco de Mayo is mainly celebrated in Puebla, where the Mexican Army routed the French, and in the United States..why I do not know!!! I guess to sell cerveza and food. It celebrates Mexican heritage and pride..has nothing to do with the USA!!! Do they celebrate Bastile Day on board cruise ships or other nations holidays? I do not think so. JMO!!

Where I live in Mexico there are very little activities for Cinco de Mayo. Usually we go to someones house for cocktails and appetizers. Well we do that almost every day anyway. Seriously nothing special for that holiday in Mexico.

Thanks for all your quick replies, I didn't think that they really celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Mexico, just want to see what everyone else experienced. I understand that it is more of a to-do here in the US than in Mexico.

Thanks, Robert

Archived