Not the usual dining room attire question

Atty

What kind of dress will your wife be wearing. If she is wearing something fully formal, then I think you should wear the tux. You'll want to match & compliment her. If she is wearing a nice cocktail dress, like I'll be in, then you could go with the tux or suit.

I love our pictures from formal night. My husband owns a tuxedo & has for many years. He wore his tux 11 years ago when we cruised, but last year only wore a dark suit. This April, I think he'll just wear a suit again.

Hi all...new to Carnival. I am one of those people that like to dress for the formal/elegant night in my tux. My question is what is the percentage of people that you see in a tux on those nights? I know that in my experience on RCCL, the number has dropped dramatically over the last 10 years. I don't want to pack my tux and stuff only to feel very uncomfortably overdressed once I get there. I know there is no "reason" for me to feel uncomfortable, but I would if I was in a tux and the majority of people were in khakis and dress shirts

I am hoping to sail the Splendor in July (7nighter)

Thanks everyone

On formal nights, you will see tuxes, long gowns, short gowns, fancy pants suits, suits, dresses. You will also see dress shirts with nice pants and on occasion you will see jeans...:eek:.....

Make your cruise what you want it to be. You will not look over dressed nor will you be uncomfortable. Enjoy!

People are not lazy they are on vacation.

Times and cruising have changed.

If you want old time formal I'm sure there is a cruise line for you.

But please don't call people lazy if they are just following dress guidelines.

I agree it is not lazy....that being said, seeing people in wife beaters and ragged shorts on formal nights does not add to our cruise experience....just saying;)

Hardly lazy to quote reality. It is NOT called formal any longer- it is Elegant night.

yes, it's elegant. not casual elegant.

i think some don't own a dictionary, or have forgotten what elegant means. same as formal without giving the impression of it being black tie.

Hi all...new to Carnival. I am one of those people that like to dress for the formal/elegant night in my tux. My question is what is the percentage of people that you see in a tux on those nights? I know that in my experience on RCCL, the number has dropped dramatically over the last 10 years. I don't want to pack my tux and stuff only to feel very uncomfortably overdressed once I get there. I know there is no "reason" for me to feel uncomfortable, but I would if I was in a tux and the majority of people were in khakis and dress shirts

I am hoping to sail the Splendor in July (7nighter)

Thanks everyone

Unfortunately, most don't wear tuxedos anymore...how sad that is. You'll see several...and they look magnificent...but dark suit and tie seems to be the dress of the evening.

Some come in just a shirt and tie...which cannot be considered "elegant" or "formal" in anyones dictionary. Others don't bother at all.

Wear your tux, please? It will be refreshing to see a man who cares about his appearance.

I thank everyone for their imput. I really didn't want this to degrade into the tired old "jeans are OK in the dining room on formal or elegant night....NO they are not" discussion since there are about a million of those around.

I understand everyone's point of view. I will probably take my tux as I still believe that the dress code is there for a reason.

I was just hoping to get some sort of idea of how many people on a Carnival ship I could expect to see in a tux with me not start the same old debate as to whether it is OK to not dress according to the dress code so I'm sorry if it goes off in that direction :)

We just got off the Dream. I wore my tux both elegant nights. Once with a black vest and tie, once with a silver vest and tie. One night on the elevator going down to dinner, a gentleman complimented me on my tux. There were a few others that wore them but I never felt out of place with mine on.

Wear the tux!!! I am representing the younger demographic (26 years old, 4 cruises under my belt since age 21) and my wife and I both like dressing up. I throw on the ol' suit every year and she she wears a black cocktail dress. It may not be a tux, but I have seen more and more I am in the minority even wearing a suit!!! Wear it proudly!!!

Take Care

Bob

Wear the tux!!! I am representing the younger demographic (26 years old, 4 cruises under my belt since age 21) and my wife and I both like dressing up. I throw on the ol' suit every year and she she wears a black cocktail dress. It may not be a tux, but I have seen more and more I am in the minority even wearing a suit!!! Wear it proudly!!!

Take Care

Bob

I'm 27. I wear a suit too, no tux. I only ever wear a tux to weddings, etc. I think it might be a generational thing, too. Even in fancier settings, I really don't know anyone our age who would consider wearing a tux to anything other than a wedding. I just think the style, and expectations, have changed. Whether that's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder.

I have worn a tux on every cruise that I've taken and will continue the tradition on my next cruise in April 2011. My sons (age 16 and 21) enjoy dressing up for the elegant nights and wear bow ties as well. For those who don't like dressing up that's fine with me since I'm on the cruise for my enjoyment not theirs. If someone think's wearing a tux is overkill then it's their problem not mine.

There are not alot of tuxes to be seen anymore...a shame IMHO. But still my SO does wear one on formal nights and I dress up too! We enjoy it! We cruise with a group and even at our table there is a wide variety of dress. Wear what you are comfortable in but I wouldn't leave the tux at home just because others don't wear them! We are tee shirt and shorts people at home (I even wear them to work!) so we really do like the rare opportunity to dress to the nines!!:p

Thank you!!! I had been reading some of the comments to my husband and he said basically what you did. He wears his tux on formal, the rest of the time he wears a sport coat, shirt, and slacks. He gets a lot of looks and comments, the comments are always positive. His thoughts wear what you are comfortable in.

I will add I love some of the newer tux looks, different ties than the bow ties, black shirts, etc.

I want the hubs to wear a tux (the one from our wedding LOL), but he says since Carnival is a more casual cruise, he'll just wear a very nice suit (I told him he has to throw a sexy vest in there- he said ok). I love dressing up, and its sad that most don't anymore. There are so few occasions where you can dress to the nines, even weddings are more casual for the most part! I plan on wearing an eggplant colored sleevless evening dress. I told him if we can ever afford to go on a fancy cruise like the Cunard, I want to see that tux!

Dress up- have fun!

I agree.. Part of the romance and the civility of dressing formal is to "dress formal". Is is sad that people are getting lazy. I wear a uniform to work and I take pride to press it and iron myself. I find it nice to take the time to dress novel.

Please don't label people as "lazy" because they get no enjoyment and see no benefit in playing dress-up. For many passengers, wearing formal wear detracts from their enjoyment of their vacation, which is why they meet the "elegant" dress code without wearing a tuxedo. Indeed, one of the key elements of what makes vacations enjoyable for some is that they can get away from mandatory/formal dress. It has nothing to do with being lazy.

I'm 27. I wear a suit too, no tux. I only ever wear a tux to weddings, etc. I think it might be a generational thing, too. Even in fancier settings, I really don't know anyone our age who would consider wearing a tux to anything other than a wedding. ....

I do not know anyone who I know for sure owns his own tuxedo. And I would never wear a tuxedo to a wedding because I wouldn't want to show up the groom. I guess I'll make an exception when my kids are old enough and get married.

Please don't label people as "lazy" because they get no enjoyment and see no benefit in playing dress-up. For many passengers, wearing formal wear detracts from their enjoyment of their vacation, which is why they meet the "elegant" dress code without wearing a tuxedo. Indeed, one of the key elements of what makes vacations enjoyable for some is that they can get away from mandatory/formal dress. It has nothing to do with being lazy.

I do not know anyone who I know for sure owns his own tuxedo. And I would never wear a tuxedo to a wedding because I wouldn't want to show up the groom. I guess I'll make an exception when my kids are old enough and get married.

I have been to a lot of weddings in my day over the course of a lot of years , and I really cannot recall seeing any guy in a tux at a wedding with of course the exception of the groom , ushers, father/grandfather of couple etc.

Doesn't mean there wern't guys that wore them, just not enough or anyone that truly stands out in my memory. Its usually all suits. Just in my observation

I have been to a lot of weddings in my day over the course of a lot of years , and I really cannot recall seeing any guy in a tux at a wedding with of course the exception of the groom , ushers, father/grandfather of couple etc.

Doesn't mean there wern't guys that wore them, just not enough or anyone that truly stands out in my memory. Its usually all suits. Just in my observation

That's been my observation as well.

When I mentioned it, I was meaning wearing a tux while being PART of the wedding. If I am just attending, then no tux. Just a suit or blazer.

Enjoy dressing formal for dinner. You will look and feel very nice. I always wear a sport coat and tie.

On our Hawaiian Cruise this past September we dined in the Steakhouse. There were 3 tables. One couple were dressed formally and looked (and were) very nice. I was nattily attired in my Sport Coat and 'Club' tie. The people dining at the third table were dressed in crummy t-shirts etc. The not only look like bums, but they acted like bums as well. Why can't people just dress nicely? All I can say is we the diner's that evening covered the whole spectrum. I think they should have thrown the 3rd table out. What lowlifes. It would not have hurt them to dress a little nicer!

Now ya do :) I own my own tuxedo. I bought it when I got married (in 1994 and it still fits). It was just as cheap as renting one for the wedding and since we were cruising as our honeymoon I needed it there anyway so it didn't make sense to rent one for that long.

Archived