All things EARTH...

Laurie, check out Celebrity Reflection & Celebrity Summit. Both do 7-night cruises. Our 10 night leaves on a Friday & comes back on a Monday...Melody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not really sure why my husband doesn't want to fly to San Juan. My booking can be moved, so I'm working on him a bit. I think he thinks it is a really long flight. Our upcoming cruise will require more travel time than going to San Juan.

Nice jacket! It's great to see that he enjoys wearing jackets.

Now that I'm on my computer and not my phone with the little keyboard, I thought I would add a little more.

My husband has never really told me what the issue is with San Juan, but I've always gotten the feeling that he thought the travel would be excessive or something. Our day going to San Diego and then flying back from Vancouver is going to be quite long. I've heard that some airlines fly to San Juan direct out of Syracuse, so that is another plus.

I am always happy to go on any vacation, but I've really wanted to sail on one of those Southern itineraries for a while. Going on Allure will be nice, especially because the Oasis class is so much different. But I'd rather choose Adventure over Allure, and I get a feeling my husband will feel the same once he takes a long look at Allure.

Allure is more like a hotel at sea, much more closed in. We very much enjoy that relationship with the water, being out on deck and so forth. I don't think just having a balcony will be enough for us.

Plus, Adventure is considerably cheaper.

I always fly in the day before, so I don't always use ChoiceAir. But they do a great job and as you've said, Anita. they guarantee that they will get you on the ship.

I really like that your son is wearing a jacket, Anita. I have to say, it can make a big difference for him later on. We live in a more casual society, and often times you still need to dress a certain way for jobs or certain events. I think it's important to be able to do that. I think your son shows interest in how he looks and that will help him later on.

I really like that your son is wearing a jacket, Anita. I have to say, it can make a big difference for him later on. We live in a more casual society, and often times you still need to dress a certain way for jobs or certain events. I think it's important to be able to do that. I think your son shows interest in how he looks and that will help him later on.

I like it too! We didn't participate in the formal night on our last Celebrity cruise. We went to the Tuscan Grille that night. It was partly because DS didn't own a suit that fit any longer and partly because I wasn't feeling so wonderful about myself.

DS used to own a suit and he wore it as often as he possibly could...he takes every opportunity to wear a tie that he can. When he was younger...OMG...he LOVED his ties. There was a special kind of tie that was preknotted and it was based on a zipper...he was in first or second grade? And he already owned 3 or 4 ties?

He did wear a dress shirt and tie last spring break. We did the same on "elegant night" on Carnival in September. But I know how much he loves the whole dress up thing and I'm hoping that the coat will last for a while...the price was right and I like to encourage the dressing up by giving him the tools.

I love the fact that he's all into the bow tie too! We had to buy one for All State and he wanted the kind that you tie yourself. OMG...so handsome.

Melody...I think that's funny! Just goes to show you...it's a great coat for a young man! DS measures at a 37 but I bought the 38 and it looks good...it fits well...and I'm hoping that it will last for a couple years at least, just because it's so cool!

I think I will get a picture of my fit and flair dress tomorrow...it's been a long week. I don't know how things are for each of you right now, but after a winter of lots of snow and little illness, the flu has hit New York hard suddenly. In the past few weeks, we've had a number of people out with the flu. Those who haven't got the flu, have colds. A few of us are resisting the germs. At the end of the day yesterday, I stayed an extra few minutes and went through and wiped down all the doorknobs, light switches, faucets, and all the handles in the kitchen at work with antibacterial wipes. I did it again too, since it is really part of our pandemic plan. I wish I had thought of it over a week ago, when the first person got sick.

Cleaning people pretty much vacuum and dust, that is about it.

I want to say, Anita, that I think it is great that you have vacations with your family and parents. I never even went on a vacation until 2008, and I think we've had about 4-5 of those vacations with my daughters. I wouldn't trade it for anything! I think all the time about how much I love having them go with us, but being young adults, we need to give them room to be more independent. With that comes jobs, responsibilities, etc.

One of my daughters, in particular, often talks about how we should do an all girls cruise of the three of us. That would be fun too.

With two dogs now, and our favorite house/dog sitter getting married, it would be difficult for all four of to go together very often. I try to set aside about a week of vacation that I can take as days, and I line them up with when they are off from work. We go to lunch and the mall, things like that.

Did I mention what one of the excursions we booked for our cruise is? There was this one that was a Napa Valley wine train. It's a leisurely train trip through the Napa Valley, in a fully restored train where they serve a multi-course lunch with wine pairings. I thought that was pretty neat, and my husband loves trains. I told him I thought it was too expensive, but he told me to book it anyway because it's my birthday cruise. I thought that was pretty sweet!

My husband has this black, soft sports coat that he loves to wear. He wears his suit readily, but he really loves to pair this sports coat with khaki or sand dress pants. He really could use another jacket, and another pair of dress pants. His job is unique in that he has these meeting where he needs a tie, and a half hour later, he's responding to a rescue call or going through a construction site. So he wears docker/chino style pants, button down dress shirts, steel toed Skechers shoes and he keeps a tie handy. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness the Skechers look like a casual shoe, or the outfit would really look strange, lol.

I used to work at the Kennedy Space Center & I've been to Johnson Space Center. Kennedy has a lot more historical "stuff", & Cape Canaveral (which is all the old Titan sites) I'd drive straight down the Beach Line (toll road) & go to Ron Jon's surf shop (it's open 24 hrs). If you're there around Sunset I'd highly recommend the Sunset Bar & Grill. Amazing fresh fish & stunning sunsets over the Banana River. It's on the southern frontage road at the corner of The Beachline & A1A. Melody

My Saffron Red Athleta Rashguard arrived today...

I'm very happy to report that is totally an EARTH red...it completely blends into my red salsa dress. It is a cool fabric in that it has a kind of tone on tone pattern in it, which I really like. I highly recommend this color if you are looking for a rashguard.

I have a total Christmas look going on with the dark green swimming suit and the red rashguard!

I need to gather all my items together and take some pictures...I think it will also help me pick out the best nail colors!

First...I'm finally finishing up the sewing projects with Kim. I'm in a pause mode, waiting for answer to one more question...once I'm done with the projects this weekend, I'll have plenty of time to focus on getting ready to leave for our most awesome spring break!!

Anita, I'm very happy that your rash guard is a great earthy red! I adore red, but it is hard to find in an earth color sometimes. I don't think I have use for a rash guard though...You can wear these right into the water, and then they dry super fast, right? Is the fabric heavy or warm? It appears like they would be great sun protection.

Sometimes I see something and like it, then I fail to get it. I get to thinking about it and go back, and it's gone. I hate it when I do that. I was looking at these canvas flats in a floral print that were totally earth, but I didn't want to spend the money. I debated not just because the were pricey, but because I kept thinking that I have big feet and that it would be a weird look on me. I got to thinking about it, and now NO ONE has them. I can't even find a picture to post. I'll have to scan a copy from the ad they sent me.

My husband said I didn't need them. :rolleyes: I told him I did. I really did!

Anita, my husband I stopped into Target today while we were out running errands. I wanted to see if they had this short sleeved v-neck I had seen previously. I knew that if they still had it, I should grab it because I saw it a while ago, and I know how the stock can change quickly.

I mentioned it once before, and described it as a rusty brown color. They still had it, so I grabbed it. I'm thinking that is it the heathered version of your new tank color. I'm going to check the tag and take a picture.

They also had this silkier, almost lightweight jersey type fabric v-necks as well, and one was kelp green, a deep olive. I had to grab that. I do have another olive green shirt, but since we don't see these colors often, I wanted to pick it up. I got a large, which I always need for my chest, but I'm tempted to take it back and try a medium. Maybe it runs big? But i love the fabric. I think that if I put this on under a jacket for work, I'd be able to get away with it.

I did pick up some exercise wear. I decided on one outfit, and I will do as you have indicated and make sure I like it before I get more. I almost didn't want to look in the mirror when I put it on, but it's a pretty cute outfit. I'm bugged a bit by the gray, but the turquoise color really helps.

http://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-legging/-/A-16627551#prodSlot=_1_23

They were incredibly comfortable, and stayed put as I moved around to see what I thought of them. I got this top for now in luxe turquoise:

http://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-ventilated-run-tee/-/A-16624272#prodSlot=_1_4

I think the lack of heavy, folded seams really makes a difference in comfort.

The color is a big more of a brownish orange in real life, I think. But overall, this is fairly accurate, and the colors are both great earth colors.

IMG_29891_zpsc54nurbg.jpg

Here is the exercise outfit. The top, although I would say is a fire color overall, does have some muting to it. It would look better on my fire daughter, but it still works for me.

IMG_29911_zpscfreefse.jpg

Fun stuff Laurie!

I really love exercise clothing. IDK what the big attraction is...but there is something about all kinds of outdoor/exercise related clothing that I find almost irresistible. I love looking at my Athleta catalog...I love the new Eddie Bauer focus on serviceable outdoor clothing...I can stare at it all day!

Love your new outfit! Personally, I would hate the sleeves...but it's very cute and fun looking! I hope you can look forward to putting it on and working up a sweat!

Those Merona tees are good colors!

I'm sorry that your shoes aren't to be found anywhere. That's a tough one. I think more and more, it pays to understand your return policies...many things seem to suddenly disappear. It can be difficult when things are pushing on the upper limits of your budget...and it's hard to be more decisive in a more timely manner...but this is all the more reason to know those return policies...I totally empathize.

Lately, I've been going for it...and then coming to more of a conclusion with the items in the midst of my wardrobe. And I find that, since I am owning less and less, I am willing to pay slightly more per item than I have in times past. And my cost per wear is less and decreasing constantly because I'm wearing each item more often.

That workout outfit is cute . I buy some of my work out gear at target . I really like the champion brand . I also like Nike that I pick up at TJ max .Since I swim three times a week I need to invest in chlorine resistant bathing suits but I would like to also find some vacation bathing suits that are age appropriate but not old ladyish . I'm in my 60's but my mind is stuck in my 40's.

Anita, I used to always buy the cheapest thing I could. I grew up not having very much. My clothes were handed down from my three older sisters so by the time I got them, they were dated, worn out, and often didn't fit right.

I started out my adult life not having a lot either. Then I was doing better, but found myself divorced with two kids. A lot has changed since then. In the past couple of years, I have allowed myself to buy more, and some of my purchases aren't dirt bottom prices. I do have a practicality in that I won't spend a lot on something even if I have it, at times.

My gold Anne Klein sandals changed a lot for me. I tried looking everywhere, and just couldn't find anything. Then I ended up in Lord and Taylor and my husband spotted those sandals and told me try them on. I was so worked up and guilty feeling. It turns out, they were the best investment I ever made. I just love those sandals.

I have been feeling a bit guilty lately, and decided to try an experiment this morning. I hauled everything out of the closet, and took each dress out of it's plastic bag (long story, but there is a window in the closet) I arrange them by style - long formal, short formal, work, casual. Then I hung them up on the closet door by color and really looked at each. I was channeling you and Margaret and asked myself if I loved each one. I asked myself if I could remember how much I spent on each. Do I wear the dress? A lot? A little?

First, I had a lot more dresses than I realized. I hadn't forgotten about any, but I had never counted, and with the small closet and the plastic, it just doesn't jump out at you.

I realized that some are better than others as far as color choice goes, but that really wasn't a surprise. It did help the "oddballs" stand out more, and for me to see why they weren't really earth.

I was surprised how much I loved some of the dresses, and a few of them that made the word favorite come to mind really surprised me.

I thought it surprising how many of them were not very expensive still, due to the fact that my daughters both get discounts from their stores. For example, that maxi dress that isn't earth. I had a coupon, plus her discount and I think I paid $24.00 with tax.

I even thought about how some were getting a little looser. Which could I adjust myself? The high low dress - I can do that one myself. It's easy. What if I lose weight and can't wear my beloved red dress anymore? Then I can check with my favorite tailor, who will be worth the investment. Many have simple seams, so I will be okay.

I did have to give 3 pairs of pants to Goodwill. One pair I can take in, it won't be hard. Some things that were too tight aren't anymore. I guess I should try things on more often!

Overall, I have worn everything, want to keep wearing them, and those few things that haven't been worn yet I plan to wear. There is one or two things I'm so so on. I hope I don't bore everyone to tears here, but I'm going to post pictures of all of them. Right down to the "no one will see me because I'm home" dress. Lol!

One of the green dresses looks a bit wonky in this picture because of the lining, but overall, all the dresses look fairly true to color here. This is the first group of formals:

IMG_2996_zps8kjflgua.jpg

Missing is my new Ralph Lauren lace dress as it is being altered. And I can zip up the dress on the right again. It's fine, if I don't need to breathe!

IMG_2999_zpssqlyhxt4.jpg

The dress third form the right is black, with a gold pattern on it. Tags are still on, but I haven't had a place to wear it, in defense. I am still on the fence about it...the real problem dress is the one third from the left. I bought it, and the length wasn't too flattering. I wanted to bring it on a cruise and my regular tailor was working on a wedding party and couldn't do it. I brought it someplace else, and it was too short and a little uneven. I ended up not bringing it on my cruise, and then bringing it to my regular tailor. She was able to make the straight again, but not without shortening it a bit more. You can't add fabric back on, you know? Anyway, it looks okay, not great. But the big thing is, because of the style, I can't even bend a little without the back going up. so why am I keeping it? Because it's a brand new dress that I ordered that I have not been able to wear once.

IMG_3002_zpsu3inlffs.jpg

On another note, I can't wait to wear the dresses at each end! Those were more expensive dresses, although I got great deals on them.

In this picture, I haven't worn the dress on the far left in a while. I realized not too long ago that if I lose a little weight, the blouson top will lay the way it's supposed to, and I really want to give it that chance. It's sentimental, as my husband got it for me.

IMG_3005_zps7y1vb3am.jpg

Maybe I should stop there, for now? I have a bunch more to post. But maybe you all can provide some insight. I love the honesty I get here.

I also took my short sleeved tops out and folded them different, then grouped them by color. I notice right off a few that never, ever get worn, and remembered exactly why. I moved those to the Goodwill bag. One was a shade of green that is fire, and it didn't look good on me at all. Plus, it would stretch all out of shape when I put it on. Not good.

Anita, it made my day when my husband told me he loved my workout outfit. I could tell he really meant it, that he wasn't just being nice. The top is rather baggy, but it suits the function for now as I'm not thrilled about my shape. I know I will probably not want sleeves later on!

Sally, I like Champion too...isn't that the C9 brand at Target? I tend to grab their bottoms...and I have a couple of those bra tops...not that I use them for real support...just to make the real support cuter. ;)

Laurie...not sure what kind of feedback you're looking for. You have quite a fun looking collection of dresses!

I would donate that dress that had the botched tailoring job. I understand the situation and the emotions along with it all...but the money has been spent...and to force yourself to wear it just because you spent money however long ago? You can't get the money back...and you have so many other choices that obviously are more thrilling to think about wearing than that particular dress...you don't really LOSE anything in letting it go...except for a visual reminder of what amounted to poor tailoring...sometimes that happens...you have to shrug your shoulders and say, oh well.

I went to Athleta today! I haven't been to any in the Atlanta area and we have 3!! Anyway...went on something of an excursion today. Fact is that having done the KonMari on my wardrobe...I know what I wear, I know what I enjoy wearing, and I can easily identify the holes in my wardrobe and what would be a good fit for that hole.

I was saying that I needed to figure out what kind of thing to wear over my bathing suit for when we leave the ship and go to the catamarans and the beach...having purchased the rashguard...I know that I would want to just wear the rashguard...so I just needed bottoms...

I was hoping that the green would go well with my new swim suit...but it didn't...so I bought the black:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=92344&vid=1&pid=438956012

These will also function very nicely for during the day should I need a bottom that isn't one of my exercise capris.

And while I was in the store...I found an exercise top in a fabulous EARTH green!! Athleta prices are not normally an impulse buy level for me...but I am always on the look out for Earth colored exercise wear:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1024037&vid=1&pid=139513062

Forest Green Heather!!!

Rock on.

Pretty pricy...and I had to some serious thinking. In fact, I was just about to put the top back...there were only 3 tops in the green color...and it was amazing that one was my size...and when I thought to put the top back away...the other 2 tops were GONE! And I realized that I really liked the top! And I didn't want to put it back anyway!

Hopefully, everyone remembers that I work at Curves and so exercise wear is literally something that I wear to work several days a week...and with daily PT...I'm exercise wear all the time...

So a happy shirt for me...for my b-day...for doing so well with my PT...for dealing with my knee injury...JUST BECAUSE. :p

I finished Kim's second skirt today!! I still need to finish up the headbands...and then I think I can take some photos to share what I'm actually taking on the cruise!

Anita, you are absolutely right about that dress. I think I just need to let it go and get over it!

I'm really surprised you have three Athleta stores near you and have never gone to one. That seems to be your favorite store! I think I would have grabbed it too. And o love the bottoms you picked up.

Does the rash guard get warm?

C9 is the Champion brand at Target, yes. That is what my bottoms are. I love the way they fit.

Sally, what brand of swimsuit do you typically wear?

One thing taking those pictures does for me is give me a chance to look at them and decide what I'm taking. I'm already thinking ahead to my next cruise too.

I didn't post the pictures of the casual dresses but you know which two immediately made me smile? The hi low and the mixed print. The hi low needs the shoulders taken in again.

Well...the way metro areas are...the closest Athleta is still 30 miles away. I have weird constraints on my days with my weird Curves schedule and taking DS to and from school. Between that and trying to figure out when to avoid the worst of commuter traffic...well...I usually just order online!

I was motivated today though because Athleta is offering free 2-day shipping right now...so I thought I'd go to the store for some help in sizing and see the colors in person...then, if needed, I could put in the order and know it would be right for the cruise...but, fortunately, I was able to make the purchases in person...

It's been a long time since I've purchased something in a store...and that store is usually Target. Funny.

The green is AWESOME!! I love it. They are calling this fabric UNSTINKABLE...same as the rashguard...wear it more, wash it less. This is great for me...I wash clothes when necessary but I know that washing clothing is the hardest thing on our clothes...especially if you have a top loader like me...don't get me wrong...I LOVE my top loader...LOVE IT...CHOSE it just last summer...

Warm is weird...when you are in the sun...it actually helps to shade your body from the sun, so wearing more coverage can feel good...which is slightly mental but true for me...I remember feeling cooler when I put on my long sleeved cover up on the catamaran before...my big purple tunic style one...it's very lightweight and loose fitting. I bought the rash guard to be a loose fit...not the skin tight look...I don't want it billowing around me in the water, but I do prefer the loose fit.

I recently did yardwork in what could be the equivalent of the rashguard...a long sleeved workout type pull over. (It is C9 brand ;)) and yes I was warm, but I actually preferred it to the sleeveless top that I wore the weekend before.

I do plan to bring my purple tunic on the catamarans too...that way I can take off the rashguard and wear something a bit more breezy if I feel like it but still have some coverage from the sun.

No. I don't care at all about getting tan...I know that an active outdoor lifestyle will give me some color but I don't seek it.

Laurie, have you ever considered a fabric garment bag for your dresses? Much better for the material (especially silks) than storing them in plastic bags? Agree with Anita on the dress, let it go, it'll never make you happy; donate it & make someone happy.

I looked thru my closets this weekend, I have one maxi skirt that I really like (but it's a heavy, heavy jersey). & I have a tuxedo suit with long skirt & a dress with beaded top long chiffon skirt & a mid calf brown floaty dress. The rest of my closet is separates. I did discover 3 black jumpsuits, all fit & are slightly different in style, but 3? I don't remember buying two of them [emoji15]. I may have to do some dress shopping...Melody

Just a reminder that we have a thread regarding recycling dresses. The lucky recipient pays you for shipping. Port hopper Marie is really generous with her designer gowns. Maybe you are interested, Laurie, in this?

Well you have all motivated me to get back to the closet clean up . I lost 35 lbs. five years ago and after that I got rid of tons of clothes but somehow my closet filled up again. Most of my clothes are very casual since this is how we live in florida . My dresses are mostly maxi's either linen or a jersey knit . 90% of my closet is JJill clothes since they seem to fit my lifestyle . They can be pricey but I would rather have things I love then a lot of mishmash items . In fact after wrestling with myself I am ordering a few more pieces .

021831_FHF.jpg.f411a317cf22a63b0ee9074ccf9bbdac.jpg

023781_545.jpg.e635126ba2c42ca78aa3a90978d1973f.jpg