All things EARTH...

Curt, thanks for stopping in! I am pretty sure I might be at the mall on Saturday, so I plan to go over to Old Navy. I reallly want to add more color choices to my wardrobe. I can't believe your daughter is almost two already. Time really flies, doesn't it?

I was thinking about the tank in the color called plummy mummy. It reminds me of Natalie Portman's dress she wore at one the award shows. I never would have thought of that as an earth color, but when I started to think about it, it wasn't a cooler, jewel purple for an ice, or that purple shirt my husband has (air)....

When I think of the pictures you posted, I could clearly see they were warm. Maybe my issue is figuring out when a color is clear and bright, or muted. This is especially true because I'm always drawn to the strongest tones.

Anita has done a fantastic job. I love how she posts pictures. I've got to improve on my pictures, using more natural light so that the colors and details are clearer. I am also beginning to see how within the earth group, our differences lead to us to certain colors. I don't know if I always make the best choices, but I definitely feel I look best in the very warmest, richest earth tones. Others seem to do better with what I will call the softer earth tones.

I'm getting there!!!

I always enjoy reading this post, even though I've never had my colors done I am pretty sure I am an Earth - I have medium skin that tans easily, green eyes and dark hair (currently with highlights). I am going to post a couple photos here and see what you experts think. Mind you, I do have make-up on in these photos, but I tried to pick ones that showed my complexion and eye color well. Sorry they are so big - I don't know how to make them smaller! Here goes:

One of my favorite photos of myself, my hair was more red here than it is naturally:

NarawithDeer.jpg

This one was taken just this past fall - hair is more natural color with highlights:

Waitingforthetour.jpg

This one taken at the end of last summer, the red dress is actually a bit "warmer" than it looks in the photo:

LunchwithLeigh.jpg

This one from our recent cruise. I usually don't think I look good in grey, but loved this shirt and it was very comfy for traveling:

IMG_0642.jpg

Again, probably not best color for an Earth to be in black, but I picked this photo because you can see my eye color pretty well:

IMG_0698.jpg

Any thoughts from you Earth gals?

Hello CentralCaliCruzer...I have responded to your post here.

I do not want to discuss this on this particular thread...as that might encourage more photos of people wondering what they are.

This thread was started independently of the previous thread whose purpose WAS to talk about what coloring people thought they had. That previous thread has since been put in the archives, I believe, but there has been a new thread dedicated to this idea...and so...in order to keep this thread's purpose focused and on topic...I moved our discussion. :D

So, I went shopping today! I picked up just a couple of things, and my daughter and I discussed color in great detail. She is a spring, and will be ordering color cards soon. I think that will help me out a lot, as well as her.

We went to old Navy, and I was able to find the ribbed tank I believe Curt labeled as plummy mummy. It reminded me of the color Natalie Portman wore a few last year at one of the award shows. I found the heathered v-neck, but I could see what you were referring to, Anita. I think as well that there were different dye lots.

Now, while in Macy's I came across a Ralph Lauren dress. My eye went to it immediately, because it seemed very similar to one of the colors Curt had posted. I decided to take the risk and buy it, knowing I can bring it back if it isn't right as long as I leave the tags on.

I am doing a little experiment to see if I'm on track, so we will start with this purple dress:

purpleshirt.jpg

purpledress.jpg

Now, for the blue dress I already got, using a picture from either the Oscars or Golden Globe Awards:

bluedress.jpg

JCP2-1.jpg

The purple I'm unsure about. It seems more muted to me than in this picture, so I might try taking a picture of it while wearing it outside. It could be a darker version of this color, and that may be throwing me off. Photobucket always gives me really good pictures on this thread, so seeing it here may help as well.

I think the blue is an excellent match. I already felt it was right and decided to keep it, but it is good to see the color is accurate.

I plan on getting some of my outfits ready tomorrow for our Grand Canyon trip, many of which will be worn on our cruise in February, I'm sure. I bring a combination of excursion and comfy sea day clothes, dinner wear and dressy casual for later night, if that description makes sense! The Grand Canyon closes will be the excursion and sea day clothes.

Margaret, remember that shirt we talked about that is a sort of muted gold tone, and it's hard to tell if for sure it's an earth color? I mentioned that I thought the right warm necklace could make a difference.

I love necklaces, and saw this on the Sam Moon website:

necklace6-1.jpg

Edited by laurspag

Well, we leave for Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon on Sunday. As I previously posted, a lot of the outfits I take will also be worn for excursions on our February cruise, as well as get use during the summer.

I did another so-so job with the photography, but I will add comments where they are needed, even to point out things that I know I could do better on.

029-1.jpg

This is a pretty good group. On the far left, that is a skirt that I thought would be comfy at dinner time. With the exception of one night in Las Vegas, everything else is very casual. The second outfit is pretty good, and the capris have a cuff and are a sateen type material. I was thinking of this outfit for Las Vegas. There is a tie in the back of the neck, which is a nice touch. There is a magenta color in there that I know isn't right. The camel like tone and lighter beige are great, as well as the brown. There is a touch of a purple tone that is warm, although I would say it might be a better fire color than earth. The last one...yes, that is black in the shirt. It's a back up outfit, and I am looking to see if there is a shirt I can swap out for it, although the rest of the tones in the shirt are beautiful.

028-1.jpg

These are all pretty good. The peach shirt in the middle is not the best. I looked at it next to my cards and it picks up a few of the tones, but it is slightly off.

027-1.jpg

I'm going to blame this one on me for bad photography. That is a wonderful earthy tone in the middle, it is not fire aqua. It is heathered, and next to my daughter, washes her out. It is one of my current experiments in blue. The shorts on the left are a wonderful caramel color I picked up in Old Navy on Saturday for $13.88. Great for walking a trail!

026-1.jpg

These require a bit of explaining too. On the left are rolled cuff cropped twill pants in a fantastic rust color. If I have a chance, I will try and re-take a picture of them. I kind of think the crops in the middle are playing with the light. They are a color that matches my cards decently.

For those of you that take photos of clothes, do you think part of the issue may be that I'm laying these out on the bed, and am using an overhead ceiling fan light as the light source? I find that if prop the clothes on pillows and take a picture, then they tend to look better.

I would appreciate input! I know I'm not 100%, but your feedback really helps me.

With that dress a few posts back, I am really confused by the color. I would really like to figure it out!

Margaret, remember that shirt we talked about that is a sort of muted gold tone, and it's hard to tell if for sure it's an earth color? I mentioned that I thought the right warm necklace could make a difference.

I love necklaces, and saw this on the Sam Moon website:

necklace6-1.jpg

That necklace is too cute! It would go with 90% of my closet :)

Laura, I think your travel wardrobe has truly lovely selections. It shows that an EARTH wardrobe can be really varied in color and style. BTW love that top with the magenta in it, even if you do say it's a bit off.

That purple dress you posted is very pretty, but with the differences in computer displays it is hard to comment on the color. I am just now experimenting with purples and I really have to just try them on and study them for a long time in the mirror. Purple doesn't make my eyes pop so I just really focus on how it looks with my skin.

As for the photo with the rust and coral pants: I think what is throwing your color off in that photo is the "white balance," which is the setting in your camera that balances the primary colors. It is always a problem when you try to take a picture with a lot of one color in it (or very similar colors, like red and orange, or blue and green). The camera will adjust itself to tone them down because it senses an imbalance. They might photograph more true if you re-shot the left and center outfits separate from each other, using three outfits with a greater color variety together in one photo, like you did with the first photo (with the green shorts). The other option is to learn how to adjust the white balance setting in your camera, but I will say that I have been working with that with my own camera and it is a hit-or-miss learning experience that takes some time to master. I still haven't redone my blue party because I'm not confident about getting true colors in my photos yet.

Also, your fan light will have some small effect as well, depending on the type of bulbs in it. Incandescant light is yellow, flourescent light is blue, and halogen and LED lights are closer to full-spectrum (like daylight). Your camera will self-adjust for the color of the light, for example toning down the yellow and making colors look cooler than they are IRL.

Thanks for sharing your travel clothes! I know how time-consuming it is to lay everything out, take all the pictures, and post them. It is very helpful to the rest of us.

Margaret, the necklace from Sam Moon is really calling me. The nice thing about the website is that it is quite inexpensive, and they have flat rate shipping. I might go back on in a week or two and order a few things. I really love jewelry, especially when it is unique.

Etsy is another great source. I have a few favorite stores there that I watch. All in all, I am almost overwhelmed with the volume of stores and choices. It's not bad when you have a very specific style in mind, such as "brown pearl necklace" or "steampunk bib necklace" because then you can narrow your search. Sometimes though, a necklace just talks to me without me having it in mind beforehand. I have one ordered that will explain what I mean. As soon as it comes in, I will post a picture!

Cameras do make adjustments for colors, so with me having different colors together in certain pictures, I think it threw things off. However, now that I look at the pictures, they are not as far off as I thought.

I am glad I got new sneakers, and that I was able to find a pair in colors that work fairly well with my travel attire.

My husband laughs at me sometimes, because I get very serious about my color choices. He asked what I do when I want something that isn't an autumn/earth color....I told him I find it in pajamas!

Margaret, the necklace from Sam Moon is really calling me. The nice thing about the website is that it is quite inexpensive, and they have flat rate shipping. I might go back on in a week or two and order a few things. I really love jewelry, especially when it is unique.

That is a great website, I think you mentioned it in an earlier post and I bookmarked it. I love how you can search by color. Now that I'm editing my wardrobe so extensively, I'm finding that having more accessories is giving me the variety I crave and takes up a lot less space in my closet! Especially for travel, I love to change things up with jewelry.

Sometimes though, a necklace just talks to me without me having it in mind beforehand. I have one ordered that will explain what I mean. As soon as it comes in, I will post a picture!

I look forward to seeing it. I just bought a necklace at Macy's that called my name, and yesterday I was trying it with different shirts to see how it would work. It goes really well with that odd light color that we talked about.

My husband laughs at me sometimes, because I get very serious about my color choices. He asked what I do when I want something that isn't an autumn/earth color....I told him I find it in pajamas!

My husband is clueless about my clothes, but he's always very sweet and tells me I'm pretty. However, last week out of the blue he said I've been looking really beautiful lately, and I think it's because of the colors I'm wearing now = a lot less black. :) Isn't that nice?

Or maybe he was just trying to be nice to help me get through another birthday!

Yes, they're already talking about fall, even though we haven't finished wearing our spring wardrobes yet. This Vuitton outfit skirts the border of costumey, but without the hat I love it:

<a href="http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/Marjaline/May%20fashion/MayV2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

I don't think that this Proenza Schouler is Earth because of the white, but it's the kind of green I love:

<a href="http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/Marjaline/May%20fashion/MayV3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Nicole Kidman ad for Omega, I love this kind of dress even though I only get to wear a gown maybe once every ten years:

<a href="http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/Marjaline/May%20fashion/MayV4.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

This beautiful orange Ferretti dress inspired me to start watching my diet in the hopes of dropping a dress size, because frankly there are a lot more size 12s out there than 14s:

<a href="http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/Marjaline/May%20fashion/MayV5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Emma Stone always looks lovely and chooses colors so well (or her stylist does). I especially liked this article about how pale is in, tan is out, and she is a lovely example. And what a jealousy-inspiring decolletage on Lara Stone:

<a href="http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/Marjaline/May%20fashion/MayV1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Can I play with you ladies? My FIRE ladies are really busy right now and aren't talking too much. What's up with the blue nail polish? I love it! I haven't actually painted my nails with it, yet, but I'm getting ready to!

Here's my color... it's called On The Beach... :D

I think it looks bright... :p

1967140815_onthebeach.jpg.9ddce3b59baaec718425aeed8df25222.jpg

I lurk around the FIRE board sometimes, and I thought it seemed quiet over there.

In keeping with our nail polish theme, the Vivienne Files is featuring teal blue today, which is my favorite color (that I forced my bridesmaids to wear oh-so-many years ago).

Anita, your color is just like one I got last year to wear on our cruise to The Galapagos in honor of the famous blue-footed boobies there. :)

I did another round of closet/dresser purging, this time working on summer t's and tanks. I realize I have need of some non-gym t's. It's quite hot at work this time of year because they haven't fired up the AC yet. I have maybe five short-sleeved shirts that are work appropriate, and very few tank tops because last year at this time I had a big incision on my arm that I wanted to cover.

Once the AC starts, I can wear a shell or tank and throw a sweater on when I get to work. Until then, I'm staring at the closet trying to figure out what to wear all over again. :eek:

Hey Earth Ladies!

I'm thrilled to see that you saw my post, as I was going to put a general Earth Blue Alert here - just for you all.

As I said in another post, I should get some more "down time" in a month or so when summer hits...

Super happy to read that Anita got those shirts - and Anita, I think you can see now why I was so "Alert" on posting that for Earth people.

Rarely have I ever seen such good Earth Blues in a store, let alone at an inexpensive price.

Got to go for now, but serious CyberHugs to all of you.

Hi, CURT and everybody!

Thanks for posting the Old Navy Earth Color alert!

I was able to find the Men's Pollywog and Pirate Cove slim-fit polos. I'm keeping one of each color in size Large. Need to go to L for the bust to fit. Hope they don't shrink too much (except in the length). I'm not sure the quality of the shirts I received is good enough to put money into tailoring them. Some of the smaller ones in the store seemed to be better made.

At the very least, I'm so happy to have samples of 2 Earth blues to use as control colors. The greener one (Pollywog) blends PERFECTLY with a dress I own!

I wasn't feeling great, but snapped a few photos (w/o makeup and with flat hair) in each of the Old Navy colors. Below are the best of the photos. Nothing seemed particularly flattering yesterday.

It's funny, but I had to keep careful track of which color shirt I was wearing in each of the photos; they photographed pretty close to the same color!

The first 2 pics are in Pirate Cove with slightly different natural lighting:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

These next 2 are Pollywog:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here's a pic in the dress that blends perfectly with Pollywog:

ry%3D400

Dress with Earth Color Cards and accessories:

ry%3D400

Jane

I LOVE my Iceberg Lotus toes!!!

I've decided that the funky colors are difficult for some people because they don't get the right shade of whatever funky color for their coloring...this color is shimmery...I'll have to post a photo so you can see...personally...I'm thinking this color will look fabulous with all my oranges especially...very complementary.

We're waiting to see Anita's toes!

Some Fridays I work in New Jersey, and I get to go to a MALL. So, I found some tank tops and I'll post pics when it stops raining here and I can get some good light.

I think I probably screwed up buying a sweater at Kohl's (on sale from $60 to $15) but it was the most beautiful dusky canteloupe color, I couldn't resist. It made my skin look beautifully peachy. Yesterday I tried it with an ivory shirt but it didn't look good. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear 'em. It will be impossible to match but hopefully I can find a soft print or something that will work. I really love it.

Laurie, I'm a Fire Sister and would like to pick your brain about your trip to Vegas and the Grand Canyon, please. Would you mind sharing how many tops and bottoms you plan to take? Will everything you posted be taken or are these options? I'm trying to decide how many tops and bottoms (shorts vs. pants) to take on my 8 day trip to Yellowstone and the surrounding area. We will be traveling from Salt Lake City to Phoenix with stops in between and I'm not sure how many shorts I need to take for 90+ weather in August or if pants will be more appropriate. If you have the time, would you let me know?

Pam, thanks for the "On The Beach" visual. I've been afraid to branch out into the wild nail color world. I remember gold and seafoam green back in the 70s (Yeah, I know, I'm showing my age....oh well.) I didn't have a problem with it then, but I just haven't joined the flow this time around. Your pretty Fire blue might just change my mind!

Anita, I think you're right. I've been afraid I'd choose the wrong color. Pam has taken the guesswork out of it for me. No excuse to procrastinate now!

Jane, thanks for posting the Earth blues. Just as I suspected, I still have a few Earth blues in my closet that need to go live with someone else. Why, oh why, am I drawn to these colors??? At least I'm getting the warm part right. Now I just need to work on bright. Bright, I say. Not muted!!! I'll get it yet. I will. I will, I say.

Margaret, I appreciate the comment about staring at the closet. I must plot and plan my wardrobe in advance or chance being late to work. My office is FrEEzing cold and the heat smacks you in the face when you walk out the door for lunch or the end of the day. Sleeveless top with a jacket or sweater is the only way I can exist where men control the thermostat.

Thanks everyone for posting pictures. They help sooooo much. --Debbie

We're waiting to see Anita's toes!

Some Fridays I work in New Jersey, and I get to go to a MALL. So, I found some tank tops and I'll post pics when it stops raining here and I can get some good light.

I think I probably screwed up buying a sweater at Kohl's (on sale from $60 to $15) but it was the most beautiful dusky canteloupe color, I couldn't resist. It made my skin look beautifully peachy. Yesterday I tried it with an ivory shirt but it didn't look good. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear 'em. It will be impossible to match but hopefully I can find a soft print or something that will work. I really love it.

OT. Margaret, I'll be in New Jersey on Friday, the 1st of June. We're going to stay at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. We know what we're going to do on Saturday as far as being tourists and eating, BUT we don't have any plans for Friday night's dinner. We'll be arriving at EWR around 5:00pm-ish. Where would you suggest that we go? Keeping in mind that we will either need to walk there from the Hilton or take public transportation. Any info is so appreciated for grabbing something tasty and/or doing something fun!

P.S. I realize that "New Jersey" covers quite a bigger area than just Newark! But, I thought I'd ask someone at least more familiar with the area than I am. LOL.

Edited by Member123
to cover up my brain fart

Pam, I have to admit that the only thing I know about Newark is how to get to the airport. I have never actually been to downtown Newark. My time in NJ is mostly spent in the northern part, where I am very good at finding the mall and the IKEA. :)

If you are willing to take the PATH train into Manhattan, there are some lovely places to eat downtown that are easy to walk to from the station. The train takes about 20 minutes, and runs every 6-7 minutes or so. New Yorkers generally eat late, 7:30 or 8:00, so you could easily arrive at prime dining time. If you'd like some recommendations, please let me know, I would be happy to help.

Newark Penn Station is a landmark in its own right, designed by McKim, Meade & White.

Laurie, I'm a Fire Sister and would like to pick your brain about your trip to Vegas and the Grand Canyon, please. Would you mind sharing how many tops and bottoms you plan to take? Will everything you posted be taken or are these options? I'm trying to decide how many tops and bottoms (shorts vs. pants) to take on my 8 day trip to Yellowstone and the surrounding area. We will be traveling from Salt Lake City to Phoenix with stops in between and I'm not sure how many shorts I need to take for 90+ weather in August or if pants will be more appropriate. If you have the time, would you let me know?

Pam, thanks for the "On The Beach" visual. I've been afraid to branch out into the wild nail color world. I remember gold and seafoam green back in the 70s (Yeah, I know, I'm showing my age....oh well.) I didn't have a problem with it then, but I just haven't joined the flow this time around. Your pretty Fire blue might just change my mind!

Anita, I think you're right. I've been afraid I'd choose the wrong color. Pam has taken the guesswork out of it for me. No excuse to procrastinate now!

Jane, thanks for posting the Earth blues. Just as I suspected, I still have a few Earth blues in my closet that need to go live with someone else. Why, oh why, am I drawn to these colors??? At least I'm getting the warm part right. Now I just need to work on bright. Bright, I say. Not muted!!! I'll get it yet. I will. I will, I say.

Margaret, I appreciate the comment about staring at the closet. I must plot and plan my wardrobe in advance or chance being late to work. My office is FrEEzing cold and the heat smacks you in the face when you walk out the door for lunch or the end of the day. Sleeveless top with a jacket or sweater is the only way I can exist where men control the thermostat.

Thanks everyone for posting pictures. They help sooooo much. --Debbie

I'm back!!! What a wonderful, awe inspiring trip. In perspective of this thread, you get to see many earth colors, big and up close!

In regards to traveling to Yellowstone in hot weather, one of the first things I advise is to follow the weather carefully, right up to when you leave. Weather has a way of changing when you least expect it.

We did some of the trails, and even if it isn't esceptionally warm, you are outside and bound to get dirty. I would say to plan on two outfits a day, in many cases. If I was going to be there for 6 days, I would probably take 9 outfits. This assumes you will be moving around and walking a lot.

Since I just got back, I want to share some wisdom on the whole weather thing, and the impact it can have. We were expecting no rain, no clouds and 72 - 80 degree weather each day. I was only in Las Vegas overnight, and since my flight and car rental delays got me checked in to the hotel 4 hours later than planned, we essentially ate in the lounge and had a cold one. By this time, we were at 10:30 and knew we had a long day the next day. The temp was in the mid 90's, and a dry heat. Checking in and eating downstairs means I didn't have to do much other than freshen up.

North Rim of GC - 73-74 degrees, and beautiful! It was sunny and pleasant. The next day seemed a bit windy for the drive to the South Rim.

I want to add that when you are driving, you can see major temperature fluctuations. In one day, we went varied from 73 to 95.

In the South Rim, the temp varied the rest of the week from 72-80. Very dry air. The difference between the North and South Rim? Wind. Like up to 38 mph. At night, it gets rather chilly and I needed a hoodie with my jeans or flood length pants.

I wore many of the items you see. My jeans were never worn during the day, but I switched to them in the evening most days. As a result, I re-wore them because they were on such a short period of time. Also, if you use sunscreen and it gets on your clothes, it can leave stains so you may not be able to wear them again.

Long story short - it is always better to have too much than too little! Check the forecast right up to when you are expected to leave. Oh, and always take a hat, even if you don't like them. It can really protect you well from the sun. I wish I had brought one, so I have made it a mental note to always bring one from now on.

Anita, I loved having my toe nails painted. They pedi always lasts me a long time. My nails are another story. They are in bad shape right now, and never look good for long when they are polished. Working in a bank in a conservative atmosphere, I think shades besides the standard pinks and reds and not really well liked. I may just try one of these colors on my toe nails soon!

Jane, I didn't get a chance to post before I went on vacation. The first blue looks off, but I am thinking it is the lighting. It is a really good thing to see earth blue, purple and even some of the green shades. The picture of the earth blue dress you posted reminds me a lot of mine, although I think yours is a bit greener by a bit. I am finding it really refreshing to be able to find more options!

New ticker alert!

Going to the new Athleta store in Houston on Wednesday. Anyone interested in anything in particular? And I know my FIRE friends are also reading this...you are included in this question. Personally, I'm excited to see the in store selection of bathing suits. I'm still not entirely sure that I have the right size top in the one I ordered. Things keep changing...which is enough to make you nuts when you are clothes shopping...but is beyond thrilling when you are wrapping yourself up in a measuring tape. ;)