All things EARTH...

When I saw this striking blue and white dress, I immediately wished it was in brick red and taupe. What colors would you choose?

stripedgown.jpg

Edited by MJC
photofix

Margaret, I love the pictures you post. Keep them coming!

You know the gold/olive/rust outfit where you said you would never think to put those colors together? Well, I do think like that quite a bit. As of lately, I've been a bit off In my shopping, so I really haven't done too much of this. another option that would be fun with that outfit is a scarf with some of those colors in it. I love having jewelry or accessories pull and outfit together!

Another picture that really got me thinking was the collage of cutout style dresses. The one that really caught my eye was the red one in the upper right corner. The color isn't quite right, but I loved seeing the v neck with that look. I loved the top part of that dress. The cutouts and slimmer fit of the bottom wouldn't work for me, but I loved the off the shoulder look combined with a v neck. That would be a great find!

So many high necklines this year, sigh! One of my daughters really pulls off the look very well. She is rather petite overall, and small chested. My other daughter is a bit more endowed and taller, and it even though I would say she is proportional, the style just doesn't do much for her.

I will post their formal night dresses shortly, since I have pictures of them in the dresses. We don't cruise for a full year, but you grab bargains when you see them. I wouldn't call the colors exactly right, but there are some good features in the dresses worth pointing out.

I've been meaning to take some pictures of a few things I've picked up, but I've been rather busy at work and I often bring things home to work on. When I get a chance, I will snap a few pictures and post them. They are basics, but that is where it all starts!

Here are my daughters' dresses, and I will comment after:

formal3_zpse22db4b5.jpg

formal4_zps0bd51ccc.jpg

formal1_zps8406c352.jpg

formal2_zpsb44b6282.jpg

Even though Stephanie's pink and ivory dress is only half the right colors for her, it looks really warm next to Alyssa's white and floral dress, doesn't it? Stephanie's dress was a great price, and Alyssa's dress is from her senior ball, so there was no new money there.

With the red dress, the color is a bit warmer than it looks in the picture. It doesn't have the blue or purplish coolness, yet, it isn't the best red for a fire either.

Alyssa's dress looks more like teal in certain lights, but I would have to say it's not an earth color.

While I strive to find the "right" colors, a twenty something isn't as concerned, lol. However, both of them try hard to avoid their worst colors, and they do look for the right ones. It can be very hard in their age group.

Laurie, I have to admit when you posted the first picture of Stephanie's ivory and pink dress, the one from the website, I thought hmm... I don't know how that will work with all those sections, won't it make her look chopped up and chunky? But, the fit is absolutely perfect and she looks six feet tall. Alyssa's dress is a wow too. Both dresses look tailor made for them, absolutely stunning. Unique. Young without being too sweet for their ages.

I can't really see the detailing on the red and blue ones, but I'll bet they will make for a striking photo on your cruise!

I think when you're young you should experiment and wear what you want. That's where a sense of personal style grows from. They have plenty of time to refine their "looks" and their relationship with color.

I love this quote from Lauren Hutton (I think she was paraphrasing Coco Chanel): “Fashion is what you're offered four times a year by designers. And style is what you choose.”

I think it's ok to be a bit of a slave to fashion when you're young, there's plenty of time to worry about being "appropriate" (however you define it, or care about it) when we're older!

As an aside, I think it's interesting when people claim that they don't care what they wear, they just want to be comfortable. I think to myself, "Well, you spent time shopping, and specifically picked that out, and spent money on it. You decided how to present yourself to the world. How is that not caring?" Just my thought for the day.

For me, it's about looking good AND feeling good. It needs to be both. I won't feel good if I look sloppy. I won't feel good if I'm uncomfortable. I have really, really tried to focus on how I look lately, and have found that jewelry is just what sets the tone for me. I really love fun and different jewelry, and I'm learning a lot about how to look polished and professional at work while still feeling good and feeling like my outfit is interesting.

You are so right about being younger. The daughter in the ivory and rose dress is actually short, and that dress was so flattering on her. I felt like it made her look tall too. They both care a lot more about certain aspects of fit and style, but I think that is because they are part of my journey of trying to choose clothing better. It's not unusual for them to ask me if something is the right color.

There was a very casual dress I posted from my cruise that had a print and loose fit, with a wood bead halter type styling. Do you remember that? Well Dressbarn has that dress back in a different print. I am very tempted to buy it, because it so happens to be in earth colors again. It is different enough not to feel like the same dress.

Somehow, I posted that before I was done!

But I wanted to mention that I've gone ahead and ordered my last long gown for cruises. I say last in the sense that I am hoping to rotate my dresses from cruise to cruise for a while, so I set a goal of 4. I took a risk on the color, because I was a bit unsure. I've decided that it may not be right, but it won't be awful, if you know what I mean. We will have to see how that goes!

For me...the caring in the way you look goes in phases. It really depends on what's on the schedule. For my normal days...I can say that I fall into the I don't care, I just want to be comfortable routine. I need to wear clothes that I don't mind getting dirty (especially if I'm cleaning house...which happens to some extent every day) and that I don't mind getting a bit sweaty :o sorry TMI but so true...often times, the stuff I do around the house makes me work up a sweat. And usually, I don't even care what I'm wearing to run errands. I mean, I try to not have my hair sticking all out in odd angles...but I don't wear jewelry (even my wedding ring :eek:) and I don't even always wear clean clothes. So long as they don't smell...I'll wear 'em again...and again...and again. AGAIN...sorry if that's TMI...but I have laundry issues.

My daily uniform consists of yoga pants, or similar, and some sort of tank or exercise shirt. And usually a hoodie.

I don't spend much time shopping for these items. Usually Target, WalMart, or Academy. And unfortunately, it's difficult to find all these things in EARTH colors...so I have the same technical fabric tank in brown (yay!), gray (not too bad), aqua (not too bad), and fuscia (not good). I have the same knit tank in terracotta (x2), plum, baby poop (x2), and army green. I have the same knit cami in rust, green drab, and brown drab. My yoga pants are light gray, light gray with pockets, darker gray, navy, and black. I have hoodies in yellow, fuscia (Mom thinks it's HER color), gray, orange, and chocolate. I mix and match and get through the week pretty much not caring what I wear with what...it all works together IMO.

So for daily wear...I'm not concerned with how I present myself...because I don't consider myself to be presenting myself. I'm just wearing my "work uniform" which clearly announces that I'm a homemaker...and I don't really care. I hope that my rear end looks good in my yoga pants and I hope that the way I wear my hoodie is flattering to the neckline, girls, and waist confusion with the kangaroo pockets.

I guess I care when I have to interact with people that I know I will have continual interaction...like school related people...some family...DH work related people. Or if there's an EVENT. Then I care. But for me...comfort reigns supreme on a daily basis...for me comfort is where it's at. That and the laundry factor. I try not to get anything dirty that is a pain to clean. I try to not own anything that's a pain to clean...BUT...some things are odd balls and don't really fit in with the normal loads...this creates issues because I'm also an efficiency/eco-conscious person, so it has to REALLY be worth it for me to wear. I do have a few outfits like that though that I have figured out and can wear, if necessary.

But in general, I don't end up caring enough to get them dirty too often.

For a while there, I was thinking about trying to put together a different "uniform" but I gained weight and that became more of an issue. So I'm allowing the weight thing to dictate my style at this point because I refuse to buy anything more than I already have to get by and I'm working hard at trying to get back into my clothes. So until then...I am REALLY in the I don't care, I'm comfortable phase.

There's a Mom that I see who picks her kid up the way I pick up DS after school and I think she's cute. I like the way she dresses and I have some thoughts along the lines of how to improve upon the uniform when my bod is back where it should be. And my thoughts run along the lines of my Zumba clothing...which is fun clothing that I decided in advance is sweat-able, even though it isn't grungy. I don't think I'm grungy...I'm cheap. All the yoga pants were under $15...and I like to think that they did double duty...that is, covering my rear while I try to fit into my jeans again while also giving me something to wear while I exercise to accomplish that goal.

Phases. I think people talk from the midst of a phase...and it isn't necessarily a hard truth...just a temporary truth.

On a different note...

Anyone spend time in the library? I'm late to the party but I've been reading the Stephanie Plum serious by Janet Evanovich...the books that all have a number in the title? And I think that she's an EARTH. The hardbacks all seem to have a unique photo of her...and she usually looks pretty good. Not sure I'm digging the coloring of the 15 book but the more recent ones...Margaret, she's wearing a blue shirt and she looks to have your coloring so much on that particular one. If you're in the library...just check out the photos of this author.

Anita,

Not EARTH related but.....

I LOVE all of Janet Evanovich's books. I've read them all--by the numbers, her early books and also between the numbers books. Grandma Mazur and Lula are two of my favorite characters in the books--they are a hoot!

Anita,

Not EARTH related but.....

I LOVE all of Janet Evanovich's books. I've read them all--by the numbers, her early books and also between the numbers books. Grandma Mazur and Lula are two of my favorite characters in the books--they are a hoot!

I giggle A LOT when reading Janet Evanovich books. DH looks over, sees me reading, and asks, "Oh, you're reading one of those funny books again, aren't you?" But I can't help it. I'm reading along just fine and suddenly I'm giggling. I have to watch what I'm doing while reading one of these, because I've spit my drink before. Yep. LOVE Janet Evanovich books!

I giggle a lot too and occasionally, I bust out laughing. Crying laughing. OMG. I'm going to be so sad when I reach the end of this series. And I have seriously thought about tracking down the shower gel! LOL! So who else do all ya'll read? I need a new author!!

Beautiful quilt. I love quilts.

I'm just back from London, and it was so much fun! You will all be proud of me, I took a 100% EARTH wardrobe, all brown and tan and gold.

Welcome home! Great job on the wardrobe :) I took a similar wardrobe on a business trip to Nashville/Indiana family visit with DH a couple of weeks ago. In addition to the brown & tan(& gold jewelry/belt), I took some teal & coral.

It worked out very well!

Jane

Here's one of the few pics of me:1gis5l.jpg

Edited by JaneStarr

Jane, your outfit is great! I love the colors you chose.

Margaret, I too would like to see some pictures. My daughter is in Europe right now, and the architecture is just extraordinary. She has been to Strasbourg, Berlin and Dresden, and she is in Worclaw now.

Well, I just accidentally ruined 3 wonderful work garments! Ugh!:mad: I was doing laundry, and somehow, there must have been some bleach somewhere and I got a few spots on some of my favorite work clothes. Two pairs of brown pants, and a brown flyaway cardigan. Mad, mad, mad!

Oh NO! Laurie that horrible news. :(

Here's just some funny news...

My Tevas are finally falling apart and I'm about to blow out the pinky toe in my trail shoes that I use for hiking around here. Fortunately, DS keeps growing and he needed new Tevas and new hiking shoes and FORTUNATELY, his old shoes are still in great condition and they fit me great. So I just inherited hand me downs from my DS. :eek:

Edited by Anita Latte

How funny, Anita. This will probably be the last time you can do that!

My daughters are close in size, but built so differently that they really can't borrow much from each other. Usually, it's an occasional sweater or jacket.

I went ahead and ordered that dress that I've wanted for a while. I will have to wait and see what it's like when it comes in. I'm not certain it's the best style, and I'm not sure I got the right color. I'm usually the type to make sure before I order something, but I decided to take the risk this time.

I am finding some good items from time to time. I see great things at Macy's online, but you have to order quickly. I'm surprised how quickly they go out of stock. I ordered a fantastic dress, and got the wrong size by mistake. I could tell when I tried it on that the correct size would be fabulous. I waited too long to reorder and then they were sold out!

Jane, you look awesome in coral! I'm seeing that color everywhere this spring, even in London. Also emerald green, and lots of B&W. See a lot of that bright yellow in the stores, but not on people.

Payless has a basic flip flop in chocolate brown, only $9.99. Had to grab it!

I only have a few photos from London, since in many of the places I either had my coat on, or wasn't allowed to take photos (like the National Gallery).

Here I am on the bus, you can tell it was cold the first day:

London01-1.jpg

I took this pebbled sweater, and this leopard top to go with that has a bit of green in it (I'm standing before a wooden shield from Captain Cook's "discovery" -- first landing -- of Australia):

London02-1.jpg

By the third day it was too warm for the sweater, so just this top from Christopher & Banks that has a gold, brown, and ivory pattern with a little bling (on the London Eye with Parliament behind):

London03.jpg

I took two pants: brown trousers (worn with the above) and a mousy brown patterned jean. With the jeans I wore a champagne sweater (twin of Laurie's) and a plain tan long-sleeved T one time, and with an ivory short-leeved T for another of the days. I wore my brown Coach sneakers, and packed brown flats and my nude pumps. Yes, I did wear them to dinner one night, just a half-block walk from the hotel with a silk shell under the sweater.

I have to say, my memories of the food in London were not so great, but this time we had some really good meals.

Pam, if you're watching, we really enjoyed the Park Place Victoria. So convenient, clean, comfortable. Thank you for the tip.

Laurie, the architecture in London is so interesting. So many different time periods, all jumbled together. The streets are so winding, you always have something interesting coming into view around the bend. Makes it feel much more intimate than NYC.

\

I only have a few photos from London, since in many of the places I either had my coat on, or wasn't allowed to take photos (like the National Gallery).

Here I am on the bus, you can tell it was cold the first day:

London01-1.jpg

You look Fabulous, Margaret! That coat is also very flattering :)

Sorry about that bleach disaster, Laurie!

LOL to Anita about the hand-me-downs!

Jane

Margaret!!

OMG. You are STUNNING!

Great job on the mix and match. Each outfit looks unique but I see the repeats. Nicely done.

Are you wearing lip color? The bus photo is just so amazing in how you are popping off my screen.