"Close" call, glad we got trip insurance

timothy998

I had a close call yesterday...I'm out this week on business and DW was reviewing the mail and saw I had a letter from our county's circuit court. I asked her to open it & they had scheduled me for jury duty the week of our cruise on NA...nothing like trying to report to court from HMC!!!

After a few panic-stricken moments, replete with relief that we'd purchased trip insurance, I was able to call the court clerk and reschedule my duty for late May. Whew.

But, had the call not gone well, I would hope we would have been covered by our trip insurance (I don't have our vacation file and our policy with me at the moment, but would believe that jury duty would be a covered reasons).

Thus many things outside the weather or health can get in the way of what for many people might be a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.

I was thinking about the value of insurance this week as well, and, like you, had an experience that brought the need for insurance to the forefront.

My husband had a nasty fall on the ice in a driveway the other night. Fortunately, because of his bulky winter coat, he was well padded and didn't suffer any injury worse than scraped knuckles. He has been sore the last few days due to the sudden wrench but is none the worse for wear. It could have spelled the end of our upcoming cruise, in which case we would have had to use our insurance.

It is so tricky trying to walk anywhere these days as all the parking lots are a sheet of ice. We'll be so glad to get out of here the end of the month if we can just stay upright until then.

We'll be so glad to get out of here the end of the month if we can just stay upright until then.

We'll take good care of the NA for you as we disembark the NA the day you embark, but to quote others on here (Ruth C??) those marks on the carpeting will just be from our fingernails as they drag us off the ship!

Trip insurance is so important, IMO. When I was at the hospital end of November for my pre-op labs, a couple came into the admitting area, he carrying a HAL tote bag. We chatted, and I asked them if they were preparing for a HAL cruise...the husband said, "No, we're supposed to be on a 30 day cruise on the Rotterdam now, but my wife needed knee surgery." I remarked something to the effect, "thank goodness for trip insurance." And he told me they didn't take insurance. I must admit, I was shocked that someone wouldn't insure a 30 day cruise.

I'd never not insure our cruises...the peace of mind and all that.

Last year when I was called in for jury duty service, the judge made it clear that if a prospective juror had pre-existing travel plans, you could present your documents such as tickets, itineraries or vouchers to the court and be granted a deferral.

I understand, as well, that confirmed travel plans are a reason for jury duty postponement; I know several people who were in this situation and able to reschedule.

My husband works in TV news, and vacation plans are a very iffy thing; if there is a tropical storm or hurricane heading our way, or if there is another big story breaking... all vacations are canceled. We can't imagine planning a trip without insurance.

Last year when I was called in for jury duty service, the judge made it clear that if a prospective juror had pre-existing travel plans, you could present your documents such as tickets, itineraries or vouchers to the court and be granted a deferral.

Yes, I've had that deferral as well, but that time I was actually able to show up in court on the first day. This year we're supposed to be at HMC the first day I was to show up! The clerk did not request my travel plans, but I would have been able/happy to do so.

Sapper,

Very sorry to hear of your DH's fall but very happy he wasn't badly injured. We had weeks of that kind of ice and it was terrible trying to walk but thankfully, though we still have snow cover on the ground, the ice is mostly melted.

You both will enjoy the sun and warmth all the more when you finally get to cruise.

What I have found is that if you show a willingness to serve on another date, the deferral is much easier. If you just try to get out of it, you are more likely to have to serve on the jury you were selected for.

Rich

Glad everything worked out! Have a great cruise and I recommend a court-mandated sequestering on half moon cay.

Thanks...good one! We'll just have to do the sequestering on a sea day with the kids in Club HAL.

Sapper1 - I bought some over the shoe rubber things with a type of spike in them for walking on ice. they slip on over shoes and can be slipped off easily when entering a store or house. they come in several sizes.

I got mine from Lee Valley but Canadian Tire were also selling them.

I noticed that our meter reader was wearing them on her rounds.

You feel very secure walking on ice with them and with the winters we

are having they are almost a necessity.

Sapper1 - I bought some over the shoe rubber things with a type of spike in them for walking on ice. they slip on over shoes and can be slipped off easily when entering a store or house. they come in several sizes.

I bought some of these for my two teenage boys (who are both runners and like to run in the winter) - they work great! I got them at Costco before Christmas - don't know if they still have them there or not.

I can't imagine not buying travel insurance. We had to use it this past month and it worked very well.

What is your feeling about HAL's insurance vs. Access America, for instance? I'm sure this has been asked but honestly I'm too lazy (and tired) to hunt it down.:)

I can't imagine not buying travel insurance. We had to use it this past month and it worked very well.

What is your feeling about HAL's insurance vs. Access America, for instance? I'm sure this has been asked but honestly I'm too lazy (and tired) to hunt it down.:)

Esther, we went "independent" for our travel insurance, and not with Access America. I believe that via the company we purchased through we received comparable (or better) coverage for much less than via HAL. The site "insuremytrip dot com" can help you with online quotes if you like, as they look at 19 different insurance companies. I did not use them last time but may do so next time, as I recently learned I do not agree with the financial practices of the one we are using later this month & have used in the past. (nothing to do with their willingness to pay claims, it is just that their financial practices do not follow my values).

We'll take good care of the NA for you as we disembark the NA the day you embark, but to quote others on here (Ruth C??) those marks on the carpeting will just be from our fingernails as they drag us off the ship!

We'll be first in line, and, as you will no doubt be last in line to get off, maybe we'll pass each other.:D

I am thinking I will have to pick up some to keep in the car.

Sapper,

Very sorry to hear of your DH's fall but very happy he wasn't badly injured. We had weeks of that kind of ice and it was terrible trying to walk but thankfully, though we still have snow cover on the ground, the ice is mostly melted.

You both will enjoy the sun and warmth all the more when you finally get to cruise.

With the kind of storms we are still continuing to get, I am so glad we have our flights booked to leave three days early. I told our TA yesterday that if we have to reschedule due to a storm, that we would go earlier rather than later.

I was thinking about the value of insurance this week as well, and, like you, had an experience that brought the need for insurance to the forefront.

My husband had a nasty fall on the ice in a driveway the other night. Fortunately, because of his bulky winter coat, he was well padded and didn't suffer any injury worse than scraped knuckles. He has been sore the last few days due to the sudden wrench but is none the worse for wear. It could have spelled the end of our upcoming cruise, in which case we would have had to use our insurance.

It is so tricky trying to walk anywhere these days as all the parking lots are a sheet of ice. We'll be so glad to get out of here the end of the month if we can just stay upright until then.

sorry to hear that your husband fell the other night -- jusy glad he wasn't hurt

we are getting up every morning to black ice on the roads and sidewalks

I had a close call yesterday...I'm out this week on business and DW was reviewing the mail and saw I had a letter from our county's circuit court. I asked her to open it & they had scheduled me for jury duty the week of our cruise on NA...nothing like trying to report to court from HMC!!!

After a few panic-stricken moments, replete with relief that we'd purchased trip insurance, I was able to call the court clerk and reschedule my duty for late May. Whew.

But, had the call not gone well, I would hope we would have been covered by our trip insurance (I don't have our vacation file and our policy with me at the moment, but would believe that jury duty would be a covered reasons).

Thus many things outside the weather or health can get in the way of what for many people might be a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.

glad you don't have to cancel your cruise due to jury duty

sorry to hear that your husband fell the other night -- jusy glad he wasn't hurt

we are getting up every morning to black ice on the roads and sidewalks

Black ice is the most dangerous kind as you can't see it. It makes early morning driving very tricky until things warm up enough for the salt to take effect.

Sapper - I am so glad your dh was not badly hurt. I know how much you are looking forward to 'getting out of here'. (can't blame you either).

(The shoes with spikes work well for me too when I am walking the dogs. highly recommend them.) It's tricky out there this morning. be careful

Archived