After After Venice where can we go for 2 nights 3 days?

debldp

We have three days and three nights time to tour after our cruise. We will have already had three days in Venice. We are considering...Lake Como (Bellagio), or Dolomites or Tuscany. It will be early June. Please offer any workable suggestions or comments.

We have three days and three nights time to tour after our cruise. We will have already had three days in Venice. We are considering...Lake Como (Bellagio), or Dolomites or Tuscany. It will be early June. Please offer any workable suggestions or comments.

Gosh, that's so hard to say! How are you going to travel? Where are you flying out of? What are your interests? Have you ever been to Italy before? Do you want to rush to see as much as possible or savor a beautiful spot for the whole time? What is your budget?

Just a few suggestions....

*Lake Como can be very expensive, but it's beautiful

*If you haven't made your flight arrangements, you could take a train and stopover in Verona (Romeo and Juliet) on the way to Milan, where airfare is usually cheaper

*If you're beach people and just want to lounge on a beach, try Trieste up the coast from Venice

*Go to a market and buy fixings for a picnic, then take a day train as far as you want to go, view the scenery, get off and explore a small town... information offices at train stations can save you the leg work and find you a hotel based on your requirements... good way to experience "real" life rather than "tourist" life... Be sure to go to ticket office and buy tickets with first class car reservations (assures you a specific seat rather than taking whatever is available and hoping that no one gets on at the next station with reservations for that seat.:rolleyes:

Italy is my favorite destination and June is the perfect month to go. :)

I would not go as far as Lake Como. However, I would go to Sirmione on Lake Garda (half the distance) and just past Verona. Look it up. It is a beautiful place with both Medieval and Roman sites.

Also, going South from Venice, you can go to Ravenna and Urbino. How do you feel about driving in Italy? It is less daunting than you think (other than Rome and Sicily). We do it every 2-3 years. Check viamichelin.com, it helps you plan driving routes in Europe.

An alternative would be the train to Florence and a couple of days there. It all depends on whether you have your return flight booked or not. If you have a choice of return airports, you have a much wider choice of places to go.

Get a good guide book and see what interests you. Have you checked the Italy boards? But do your own research with a good guide book and a map.

I suggest that you consider Florence. The Eurostar is about a two hour train ride to once of the most beautifull cities in the World. If you want to rent a car, you could drive there, then spend a day in Sienna, or go to Pisa. If you don't want to go to Florence, Ravennna is the former Byzantine capitol of Italy and not real far from Venice.

If you go to Lake Como, Verona is on the way. If not there Milan is an option. Italy is full of great places.

Would suggest you get 3 day Italy Rail Pass and go from Venice straight through to Pisa see the leaning tower on day 1 then late afternoon back to Florence . Spend the rest of your time in the wonderful city of Florence with all its artistic treasures .

OP, you'll get more responses posting this on the Italy board, but I agree, there are SO many great options in Italy, its hard to go wrong. IMHO, I would not rent a car to drive to Florence, it's a VERY challenging city to drive in, and I live in L.A.!

Archived