Oosterdam . . . is there a dance floor ?

Browniecrb

Generally speaking HAL is probably not the best dance friendly choice. The relatively largest dance floor is (was?) in the Crow's Nest and back when they had live bands it was probably the best place to dance. There are smaller dance floors but in all honesty I have to stress small. Oosterdam does have the Northern Lights nightclub which, as I understand it, is a disco kind of environment and though I've been on the Oosterdam I've never stepped foot inside of it so really can't say what that's like.

the crow's nest really doesn't have any dancing there anymore since explorations cafe, internet cafe and library were moved up

there is a tiny dance floor in the ocean bar -- usually the music starts around 7 pm

then around 9 pm nothern lights opens up -- mostly disco music

on a couple of ships that we were on at least one night there was some dance music in the queen's lounge for about 1 or 2 hours - this was mostly on our longer cruises

the crow's nest really doesn't have any dancing there anymore since explorations cafe, internet cafe and library were moved up

The decision to move all that stuff up to the Crow's Nest on the Vista ships really is one of my major disconnects with HAL. Going back to my very first cruise on the Ryndam in 1995 I remember the small four-piece crew band they had in the Crow's Nest. Maybe not the best group I'd ever heard but they were delightful and would try just about any music or song. After a few years that gave way to contract bands but it was still live music and mostly enjoyable. I guess that lasted through our 2006 Volendam cruise but by the next year on the Veendam they had reduced the Crow's Nest to a piano player before dinner and then disc jockey later in the evening and a lot of the "magic" of the Crow's Nest at night really was gone. Sad. :(

The decision to move all that stuff up to the Crow's Nest on the Vista ships really is one of my major disconnects with HAL. Going back to my very first cruise on the Ryndam in 1995 I remember the small four-piece crew band they had in the Crow's Nest. Maybe not the best group I'd ever heard but they were delightful and would try just about any music or song. After a few years that gave way to contract bands but it was still live music and mostly enjoyable. I guess that lasted through our 2006 Volendam cruise but by the next year on the Veendam they had reduced the Crow's Nest to a piano player before dinner and then disc jockey later in the evening and a lot of the "magic" of the Crow's Nest at night really was gone. Sad. :(

right you are -- things have really changed over the last few years

we used to enjoy an after dinner drink in the crow's nest listening to soft music and watching people dance

right you are -- things have really changed over the last few years

Not to be Mr. Downer but sometimes not for the better. :( HAL is still our favorite but as you can see by my signature we are exploring other options.

Archived