Obstructed Balcony

Gecko7

We are close to booking our first balcony and the lowest priced are call obstructed. I realize this means a lifeboat, but is it still worth it or should we spend about $100 more for a higher category? Obstructed balcony is the same as a OV on this cruise currently.

Thanks for the advice.

That's a hard question to answer. Its really personal preference isn't it? I booked an obstructed balcony and hoped for one of the upsell offers. I didn't get one but am not disappointed because I was perfectly fine with what I booked. I searched for so many pictures, etc and tried to be careful picking which room I chose. In 9 days I guess we will see if I made the right choice (doing the single digit dance here).

I would enjoy an unobstructed balcony, but will be ok with the cabin I chose. I may have a different opinion in a couple of weeks.......but for now, I am ok!

Happy cruising! :D

That's a hard question to answer. Its really personal preference isn't it? I booked an obstructed balcony and hoped for one of the upsell offers. I didn't get one but am not disappointed because I was perfectly fine with what I booked. I searched for so many pictures, etc and tried to be careful picking which room I chose. In 9 days I guess we will see if I made the right choice (doing the single digit dance here).

I would enjoy an unobstructed balcony, but will be ok with the cabin I chose. I may have a different opinion in a couple of weeks.......but for now, I am ok!

Happy cruising! :D

I'll look forward to your report. We may want to move out and up though. I'd like to see the water and the drunk dash at departure while in port.:D

Our friends had an obstructed view and really there was no view. It did let light in, but they could not see the water, etc. So, it is really what you want.

Nancy

I guess it really depends on the Ship. This does not sound like a Spirit class obstructed balcony. I've sailed the Legend 3 times and the Miracle once with 7A cabins (obstructed balcony cabins). I've had both the ones that had tenders up to the top of rail and the lifeboats to bottom of balcony. The obstruction is looking down to the water, but there is a clear view (sans possibly a cable) looking outward. This cabin has worked just fine for me all 4 times. Some people want to see the water against the side of the ship...and well, that would not work in these cabins, but all I care is to look out upon the sea and or land and it provides plenty of view for that.

Our friends had an obstructed view and really there was no view. It did let light in, but they could not see the water, etc. So, it is really what you want.

Nancy

That sounds like the obstructed view with french doors. The obstucted view balconies have a lifeboat that is at or below the level of the balcony railing. The view straight out and of the sky is clear.

I guess it really depends on the Ship. This does not sound like a Spirit class obstructed balcony. I've sailed the Legend 3 times and the Miracle once with 7A cabins (obstructed balcony cabins). I've had both the ones that had tenders up to the top of rail and the lifeboats to bottom of balcony. The obstruction is looking down to the water, but there is a clear view (sans possibly a cable) looking outward. This cabin has worked just fine for me all 4 times. Some people want to see the water against the side of the ship...and well, that would not work in these cabins, but all I care is to look out upon the sea and or land and it provides plenty of view for that.

hey just curious u been on the legend with obstructed view, do u have any pictures of the view..... i am booked on the Legend in August 2011 just curious the view

thanks in advance

hey just curious u been on the legend with obstructed view, do u have any pictures of the view..... i am booked on the Legend in August 2011 just curious the view

thanks in advance

Yes if anyone has pictures from the Legend plase post. We are still undecided.

I'll look forward to your report. We may want to move out and up though. I'd like to see the water and the drunk dash at departure while in port.:D

LOL.......we LOVE to watch the "drunk dash" at departure! That is one of the things I wanted to get the upsell email (that I didn't get) for. That being said, I think it will be fine. If you go with the obstructed view, I would suggest choosing one with a lifeboat instead of a tender boat obstructed. The tender boats are the first three on both sides. If money were not an object, I would probably have chosen the next category up too........but I had XX dollars to spend for this trip and this one fit my budget. Is it $100 total more or $100pp? That would make a difference to me.......just being honest :D

That sounds like the obstructed view with french doors. The obstucted view balconies have a lifeboat that is at or below the level of the balcony railing. The view straight out and of the sky is clear.

Isn't that a category under oceanview with french doors? The PVP explained the obstructed view balcony the same way you did, you can look straight out but not down.

LOL.......we LOVE to watch the "drunk dash" at departure! That is one of the things I wanted to get the upsell email (that I didn't get) for. That being said, I think it will be fine. If you go with the obstructed view, I would suggest choosing one with a lifeboat instead of a tender boat obstructed. The tender boats are the first three on both sides. If money were not an object, I would probably have chosen the next category up too........but I had XX dollars to spend for this trip and this one fit my budget. Is it $100 total more or $100pp? That would make a difference to me.......just being honest :D

It's a $100pp and we are being cost conscience. I'd rather buy more DODs, but the experience is also what we want to have too.

Isn't that a category under oceanview with french doors? The PVP explained the obstructed view balcony the same way you did, you can look straight out but not down.

Yes. Those are categorized interior. Someone was describing one and I was clarifying the difference between those and obstructed balconies.

Then again I am talking about Spirit class.

We booked our first cruise on the Pride with an obstructed balcony. We lucked out in that we were right in between lifeboats and had great views of the water. Now we look for those rooms in between lifeboats and it gives us the balcony while hardly being obstructed at all. I can say that those rooms tend to go first so I don't think I'm the only one who does this.

I would spend the extra 100.00 and get a regular balcony. I just love standing out on the balcony watching the water, looking for other ships and watching when we go into port to some new island.

You can still do all that with an obstructed 7A balcony on the Legend.

Yes if anyone has pictures from the Legend plase post. We are still undecided.

We were on the Legend last week in an obstructed view with the smaller lifeboat that came up even with the floor of the balcony. Honestly, the biggest obstruction was the balcony rail! It was directly at my eye level while sitting down looking out. I haven't figured out how to post pictures here yet but here is a thread with a couple pics and links to more.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1366342&highlight=7a

On the Legend and other Spirit Class ships, you shouldn't book a 7A that's by one of the front three lifeboats on either side. They're the big 'uns that will block your view almost completely.

The "obstructed view" balcony cabins behind those front three will block your view looking down but not looking out. I've booked a 7A for our next cruise.

thanks in advance

This is basically with the camera sitting on the railing, thus when standing, your eyes would be a bit higher. In addition, these were the tall lifeboats, so I recommend staying away from forward 7A cabins, or at least only the last two or three 7A cabins in the forward section. The shorter lifeboats only come to the bottom of the balcony. Sorry I don't have a pic of those handy.

IMG00143-20101122-1437.jpg.bfdd97b32f602efcf022fa882d55a39c.jpg

IMG00145-20101122-1437.jpg.e5e16d4bc6bcf5933f64ed649c71f95e.jpg

IMG00144-20101122-1437.jpg.6a270a6e54c916f460570e4c9c6f96bd.jpg

thanks in advance

We have done the Legend with a balcony and obstructed view. The view of the sea is blocked from the railing down so when you are sitting out there it is blocked standup and you have a great view .

It's a $100pp and we are being cost conscience. I'd rather buy more DODs, but the experience is also what we want to have too.

My opinion would be to stick with the obstructed balcony and try to get between the life boats.

I will report on my cabin when I get back.

Thanks,

These are great! I'll have DW and friends take a look. This will definately help us to decide.

I also appreciated the youtube link previously. Very helpgul.

We've sailed before, but never on a balcony so this is big for us. We don't want to be disappointed.

Archived