Obstructed Balcony

Gecko7

We're in 5231 on the Miracle B2B next February so I hope we like it. Are the balconies narrower than the unobstructed ones? They don't look very wide in the pictures, but it's hard to tell.

Should be the same size. Look at the side view with all of the balconies in the picture.

I'm going to be on the spirit in May in room 5187 category 7a. How can I figure out if that's one of the taller lifeboats or not? All I know is that it's mid-ship.

You can look at the deck plan for the ship. 5187 should be a good choice. It's well past those first three lifeboats.

We enjoy the obstructed view balconies on the Spirit class ships very much. We have chosen the first one in the after group on both our our cruises on this class of ship. These balconies are very secluded and we enjoy that. Do not hesitate to book one of these, IMHO.

Doc

No one can make that decision for you.....I will give you MY experience and opinion, since you asked.

I would never take an obstructed balcony. A balcony is the most important part of my own enjoyment of the cruise that I'd never consider it.

I have and would paid the extra to avoid having a lifeboat in my window..or any other sort of obstruction. I spend hours on the balcony enjoying the view..at all hours of the day and night. I don't want to look at an obstruction of any kind.

We lucked out in that we were right in between lifeboats and had great views of the water. Now we look for those rooms in between lifeboats and it gives us the balcony while hardly being obstructed at all.

Woo hoo! Looks like that is just where our room is. Good news! Thanks for posting this. :D

hey just curious u been on the legend with obstructed view, do u have any pictures of the view..... i am booked on the Legend in August 2011 just curious the view

thanks in advance

I was in 5170 and here are some pictures:

729114037_Legend5170.jpg.ee65a698b6b80ea0ebe776f79a605b0f.jpg

Balcony.jpg.21f8c912b6ba2a48434f64c396233412.jpg

1603687741_LegendBalcony5170.jpg.d6ce7f52425f079006b31de8dec2a98c.jpg

We are close to booking our first balcony and the lowest priced are call obstructed. I realize this means a lifeboat, but is it still worth it or should we spend about $100 more for a higher category? Obstructed balcony is the same as a OV on this cruise currently.

Thanks for the advice.

I think it depends on how obstructed it is. We had room 5236, which was obstructed, lifeboats were in front. But they were level with our feet so they didn't block our view at all when looking straight out. But if you looked down you couldn't really see the water. I think there are other obstructed ones that have the tender boats in front and block more of the view.

We had room 5178 on Pride in February and decided that 5176 would probably be better since it appeared that one could partially see down between the lifeboats.

We have 5236 booked for Oct '11 and look forward to the extra long balcony.

I'm not sure if it is the location, but we also noticed that the balcony is not as windy as some other balconies when the ship is in motion.

We had room 5178 on Pride in February and decided that 5176 would probably be better since it appeared that one could partially see down between the lifeboats.

We have 5236 booked for Oct '11 and look forward to the extra long balcony.

I'm not sure if it is the location, but we also noticed that the balcony is not as windy as some other balconies when the ship is in motion.

This begs the question, are balconies particurly (sp) windy? I realize when we are sailing, it will be, but is it howling or like riding in your car?

BTW, thanks for all the picture. DW and I are booking this weekend since uncle Obama, finally got his check to me. Legend here we come!

Here's what we had, you can kinda see where the lifeboats are.

111.jpg

116.jpg

Hi BeachChik - This post is so timely - I was just talking to someone at Carnival and they told me this room is available (we are taking the Miracle on 10/5/11). We currently are booked in 5232 but since this one is availabe I am considering swaping because of the longer balcony. We initially booked 5232 because it appeared to be "between" lifeboats (sort of) and some say that the view isn't as obstructed - however - if we can get a longer balcony it may be worth the swap. Could I get your opinion? Also - is that a French door that opens out? I assumed the balcony doors were sliding doors. Many thanks.

This begs the question, are balconies particurly (sp) windy? I realize when we are sailing, it will be, but is it howling or like riding in your car?

Usually it's more like riding in a car and sticking your head out the window. If you are sitting in a chair on the balcony, it's a nice breeze...if you stick you head out past the railing, it's much windier(<--is that a word:confused:) On occasion, after I wash my hair, I'll go out on the balcony and lean my head out to get a quick blow dry!!:D

DW is going to love that. Since I'm folically challenged, I won't worry about the hair drying part. It will be nice to smell the sea air and have our own rail without having to find a spot with hundreds of other. CAN'T WAIT!:D

Hi BeachChik - This post is so timely - I was just talking to someone at Carnival and they told me this room is available (we are taking the Miracle on 10/5/11). We currently are booked in 5232 but since this one is availabe I am considering swaping because of the longer balcony. We initially booked 5232 because it appeared to be "between" lifeboats (sort of) and some say that the view isn't as obstructed - however - if we can get a longer balcony it may be worth the swap. Could I get your opinion? Also - is that a French door that opens out? I assumed the balcony doors were sliding doors. Many thanks.

The view isn't really that obstructed from 5236. You can see in between the life boats and can see a little bit of the water. The top of the boats start at your feet level so it doesn't block the view looking out at all. We loved having the longer balcony. It had two chairs and two tables so we were both able to lay out by creating our own lounge chairs. It is a door that opens out towards the balcony, no sliding doors. And another plus is this room was right off the elevators.

Archived