Sea-Bands?

I'll be cruising with several newbies on my much anticipated Allure experience. As much as I try to assure them that the possibility of severe motion is very slim, some are still concerned about seasickness.

I've heard about Sea-Bands bracelets. Has anyone used them? Would you please share your experiences?

Thanks!

I'll be cruising with several newbies on my much anticipated Allure experience. As much as I try to assure them that the possibility of severe motion is very slim, some are still concerned about seasickness.

I've heard about Sea-Bands bracelets. Has anyone used them? Would you please share your experiences?

Thanks!

Absolutely LOVE them. I wear them while cruising, while flying, while riding roller coasters. Love that I can drink while wearing them. Love that they don't make me drowsy. Only thing I wish is that they came in more colors.

You may still "feel" the motion in your tummy, but you shouldn't feel "sick".

Only drawback is for those with large hands. They usually only come in one size and for those with larger hands/wrists they might be too confining. You should look into getting the wraparound kind that are sold through Magellans or TravelSmith.

I also recommend taking an extra pair that you can keep in the shower or wear at the pool or beach. Once they get wet they stay damp for quite some time, so better to switch to the damp ones whenever you want to shower or swim in the pool or ocean.

Theresa

Thanks!

They dont work for everyone but they do for me, used them for years as i feel nauseous after certain medication, and they are none invasive.

I don't have much problem with sea-sickness, but a boating buddy of mine does. He has owned a 30ft sailboat for years, and without them, anytime he goes into the cabin of his boat he gets sick.

But I think they are like any other sea-sick remedy. Don't wait until you need it to use it, or they might not be that effective.

If nothing else, the bands might have a placebo effect for your friends... so it can't hurt to use them.

love them. use them for cruising but i agree with a previous poster - don't put them on until needed.

:confused:The previous poster said "Don't wait until you need it to use it, or they might not be that effective."

I use the seaband. The first time I tried them I had already got seasick. A friend told me to try hers. Put them on and it wasn't long after that that I felt fine. I always have them with me, but don't always wear them. I put them on if I feel the ship starting to rock and roll. They work like a charm. Our DD is going to try them on their next cruise. She feels sick standing on a dock. We'll se if they work for her.

Judi :)

Bumped into a gal on our last cruise with one of those bracelets and she said that she is a total skeptic to any of these things - used to make fun of them. She now swears by them. She was shocked to find that it helped with her morning sickness during pregnancy. But that could be timing.

I just don't get sick (so far). I suspect the bracelets may be a pressure point thing???

They definitely worked for our family. They are even used by pregnant women as a non-medicial morning sickness/nausea treatment.

I do recommend them but pay attention to the instructions and where to place them; the "ball" has to be correctly placed on your wrist.

Count me as one of the wrist-bands favorite fans! None of the over the counter products have ever worked for me. I did use "the Patch" on a long trip, and while I did not get sick to my stomach, I felt so awful that I wouldn't use it again now that I've had the bands for many years. The patch left me sleepy, blurry, dry, dopey and generally feeling lousy.

I use them in ground, air and sea transportation with total success. Even if I'm feeling queasy with flu.

I've loaned/given them to friends who were always afraid of taking a cruise....all of them came back saying they had no problems whatsoever.

Many cruisers use Bonine. One in the morning and you are set for the day.

But aren't you supposed to avoid alcohol with Bonine?

I've been considering ginger and the sea bands. I want to be able to drink.

:confused:The previous poster said "Don't wait until you need it to use it, or they might not be that effective."

Definitely, these are meant to be worn to prevent sea sickness. It is really hard to come back from already being sick...so much better to prevent it from the get go.

I am the poster child for sea bands...never cruise without them. I use these in combination with ginger tablets (also quite inexpensive and can be found at any drug store) and I am good to go. I used to get sea sick all the time but now have little problem with it due to my little medicine kit.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences with Sea-Bands. It's clear that they do, in fact, work.

I will not only recommend them to my cruisemates but I'll also get them for myself as well!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences with Sea-Bands. It's clear that they do, in fact, work.

I will not only recommend them to my cruisemates but I'll also get them for myself as well!

You might want to bring along some non-drowsy Bonine and some ginger, too. Some people do say they don't work for them and I would hate for you to find that you're one of them. Maybe try one thing one day and another the next day. If you're really lucky you might find you don't get sick at all!

Also, with the Bonine, even though I bought non-drowsy Bonine I still took it at night before bed "just in case". That way I could still drink during the day.

I just found Sea-Bands on the TravelSmith website and it states that one bracelet should be worn on EACH wrist. Is that correct?

I guess preventing seasickness should overide fashion vanity but that sounds like an unsightly inconvenience.

I just found Sea-Bands on the TravelSmith website and it states that one bracelet should be worn on EACH wrist. Is that correct?

I guess preventing seasickness should overide fashion vanity but that sounds like an unsightly inconvenience.

Yes one on each wrist and I wear a long sleeved t shirt or jumper when i have mine on but hey they are a badge of cruising and i used to feel so sorry for the folk with bandaids behind their ears, poor souls what a place to have an accident.

the bands have a really hard button on them which goes on an accupresure point on your wrist about where a watch strap would be and it works by stimulating this point but must be on both wrists.

Here in the UK they were trialed on chemo patients and had a good success rate.

Archived