Mykonos questions

eyeore1631

I have searched and can't find a answer to some of my questions. Hope you can help out here

How far are the windwills from the a. tendering port b. dock ports

How do we find out if we are tendering or docking?

Is there a fee for the bus that takes you into town from the dock?

How difficult is the walk to see the Windmills? ( my mother has knee issues) is there any way to get there without walking?

Are cabs available to take you to Paradise beach? or only bus? What is the cost of each?

I know a lot of questions but I usually planned excursions and it seems this is not the place to do this.

Any help would be appreciated

Good questions. If you tender into town its only a few minutes walk over towards the windmills (and the bus station on that side of town). However, if you dock then you need to either take a shuttle into town (most cruise lines charge for shuttles) or you can walk into town in about 15 min (the windmills are on the opposite side of the town from the port). If your Mom has knee issues you will want to use a shuttle bus into town. But once in town, walking is the way to go as long as your Mom can handle some walking. As to the windmills, other then looking at the things (which you can see from many places in town) they are really nothing worth a special trip. There are a few taxis in town and sure, they will take you to paradise beach or anywhere else on the island (we have no clue as to taxi fares). The bus fares are cheap (used to be about 2 Euros although we do not know the current fare). Keep in mind that there is no reason to overplan this island. You can just do what seems right at the time which is pretty much the pace of the entire island...."laid back." Most visitors that stay on the island spend their days at a beach and there evenings in a cafe or club.

Hank

Hank

Thank you very much for your response. As always you seem to know know so much about these places.

Trying to go with the flow, but knowing the basics is helping.

Mom can walk just not up alot of stairs or step inclines. We went to Pompei last year and she managed alright after the hill in.

So this looks like a tour of the town on our own and the afternnon at the beach.

Couple of other question ( if you don't mind)

Would you suggest eating in Mykonos or Paradise Beach?

How far is the Bus stop from the tenders?

Where do the shuttle busses drop you off?

Here's a link to my favourite map of Mykonos town. Click on it to get a bigger version. You can see the windmills marked on it.

If you tender you'll be landed on the left-hand side of the 'Port' area; possibly on the jetty with the church symbol at its landward end. If you dock, you'll be out at Tourlas harbour which isn't on this map - it's a kilometre or two off to the right of the map. Whenever I've been to Mykonos the shuttle buses form the ship (chargeable, probably) have dropped passengers just above and the right of the tourist office (marked '3' on the map). It is a bit of walk around the harbour, but it's very pleasant.

On the occasions we've visited Mykonos, we've taken the bus to Platy Gialos ( a 'family' beach) from the spot on the left-hand side of the map marked 'Bus Terminal to Ornos' etc. 'Bus Terminal' is a bit grand; it's basically a big open street intersection with an area to one side where the buses park. I think the buses to Platy Gialos run every 30 minutes or so, and it takes barely 10 minutes to get there (Mykonos is a very small island). You can get bus tickets & bottles of water from mini-markets around the open area; the shop staff speak English.

The most difficult thing is finding the bus terminal; those 'streets' in Myonos town are a warren. But walking around is great fun, and sooner or later you\ll find the spot you need. In fact if you do the windmills first, it ought to be an easy walk from there to the bus terminal.

As regards taxis, my suggestion would be: don't rely on them. There aren't many, and you could end up waiting a long time for one. (Then, of course, several will arrive at once....)

You've received lots of great tips and ideas from Hanks, Kirk, Tom, etc. Much is going to depend on how many other ships are in port and who docks/tenders where. When we were there on a Sunday, ours was only one of two ships in port. It made things so super nice on Mykonos without the large crowds to battle. We walked around the main town, enjoyed it, the charming sights, etc. In the afternoon, we rented a car and explore some of the various beach settings and other scenic parts of this small and interesting island.

Below are some of my visual samples to get you excited about the many great potentials here in Mykonos.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,935 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

These famed windmills overlooking Mykonos' are right next to the main downtown, central shopping, harbor areas.:

Mik4WindMill.jpg

Ladies departing a church service in main Mykonos on a Sunday:

1A-Mykonos-ChurchLadies.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos near many outdoor dining places that overlook the harbor.:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Thank you all so much for your responses. I guess the only thing I have to find out know is if we are tendering or docking.

Any ideas how to find this out. On another email I follwed a link and it did not take me to where I needed to go.

Once again I appreciate everyones help

You asked about eating and our personal preference is to grab a bite right in Mykonos Town on the small harbor (there are several restaurants and cafes) where you get a nice view of the water and good people watching. Paradise Beach does have a restaurant (more like a cafeteria) and snack bar, but this would not be our choice for anything other then a drink and perhaps a small snack. I should warn you that most Moms (including DW) go quite well walking in town since there are many cute shops and jewelry stores to keep them distracted :)

Hank

Thank you all so much for your responses. I guess the only thing I have to find out know is if we are tendering or docking.

Any ideas how to find this out. On another email I follwed a link and it did not take me to where I needed to go.

There should be a couple of places to see if you are tendering or docked.

First is at the website for your cruise. On the itinerary it usually lists each port and whether you are tendered or docked.

If not there, look on your cruise documents. If that fails (can't imagine it not being on one of those two) - call the customer service at your cruiseline.

Any ideas how to find this out.

Be aware that it could change, almost up to the last minute. On our first visit there, on Celebrity's Galaxy in 2006, the itinerary advised that we would be tendered during our visit. We were due toarrive at 12 noon and depart at 10pm or something like that. The evening before we became aware that Galaxy was hustling across the Med (from Sicily) at quite some speed - there was a lot of vibration in the dining room, for example, to the extent that passengers sat at tables by the stern windows had quite an uncomfortable meal - and there were a few announcements informing passengers of possible arrangements for shuttle buses. In the event we arrived at Mykonos at around 10am, and had docked at Tourlas harbour by 10:30. So a complete change, of both arrival time and arrangements, which I believe it was purely down to opportunism by the Captain.

Go onto the web site of your cruise line and search for your specific cruise. One of the tabs under this cruise will be "itinerary" or something similar. Click on that to see the day by day itinerary. On most web sites at each port listed, there will be a code such as "D" for docked or "T" for tendered. This should answer your question.

Archived