Help!! Decsions!!

IsandDreams

:D:o...Okay , so I'm a bit embarrassed right now.I need to become familiar with the posting system here.

Hi All!!!!

I am a complete novice to the world of Cruising and Travel. So I need some help here.

I am VERY interested in a Mediterranean Cruise. Being from the Islands it feels like a huge leap to travel to somewhere sooo very far away from home.

I am drawn to Athens ,Greece:). I need to know, is Athens,Greece a safe place to travel to? Political stability, Environmentally/Health wise.

Did you go back and read the replies when you asked this same question on another board?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1371843&highlight=

I am not sure why living on Barbados makes it such a huge leap to travel to Greece; it's a much farther trip for people living on the west coast of the US!

No one can guarantee your safety anywhere, but many thousands of people visit Greece without incident each year. Why not do some research yourself online? You can always pull up information about the current political situation, any health concerns, etc.

Okay , so I'm a bit embarrassed right now.I need to become familiar with the posting system here. I am a complete novice to the world of Cruising and Travel. So I need some help here. I am VERY interested in a Mediterranean Cruise. Being from the Islands it feels like a huge leap to travel to somewhere sooo very far away from home. I am drawn to Athens, Greece. I need to know, is Athens, Greece a safe place to travel to? Political stability, Environmentally/Health wise.

As 6rugrats wisely notes, Athens is generally fine. Recently, there have been a few days with some problems due to their "economic" in that nation and other parts of Europe. Overall, on average, things should work out fine.

Is doing all of the cruising in Greece, Europe, etc., hard to plan? Kind of, maybe. Much depends on what you seek, need and desire. Some just want to "float on the boat" and are not as concerned or interested in what they see and do around near these various ports. Others, like me, love to sample that great history, architecture, scenery, culture, charm, etc., that is available in so many different ports.

Tell us more about your . . . personal and travel interests, group size, ages, past Europe travel experience, etc. How much are you interested in history? Countryside vs. cities? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Below are a few of my visual samples from Athens, the Greek Isles and other nearby options in the Med. There are so many, many great potentials, including southern France, Italy, Venice, Turkish Coast, etc., etc.

Here are a couple of other suggestions to help you and other future travelers. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

You might grab, maybe from your public libraries or ask for them to do a book transfer they can process for you, such super excellent visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc., can work well, too. In my opinion, no one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely for all of your needs. These resources, especially the visual ones, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see. That early research is very important. Don't wait until you get on the ship to "GUESS" what might be of interest. I always build a "file" on my laptop computer for each port stop with highlights from that reading and then pulling up stories/articles from the travels sections of the New York Times, Telegraph of London, Wikipedia, etc. All of those help to consider your many great options. Amazon can be very good in providing such books at reduced prices, plus some used books websites. Lots of great options!!! Especially in these days of the Internet, it makes things easier to research and plan ahead. You can use Google.com for great access to various text items, plus a wide variety of visuals and maps. One option for some private tour and other local options is to contract the tourism office in each of your ports. You can use Google.com and put in the search term such as "city/port name tourism office". Then follow-up to each of those office by e-mail, ask your questions, get their suggestions, options to consider, etc.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. Don’t be shy. Post any questions or updates on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

You can also check out this posting that I did with many, many pictures on Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

Keep reading, researching, planning and thinking! Lots of wonderful potentials. Can't see them all on your first cruise in the Med.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,935 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Enjoying a bright, sunny day in front of the famed Parthenon in Athens.:

ParthenonPosing.jpg

A view from below the Parthenon:

ArcopHill.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athen’s historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics on the Peloponnesian Peninsula of Greece.:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

We would have no real concerns about personal safety in Greece (other then the usual picl pockets) but would have lots of concerns about strikes. The instability in that country seems to result in periodic work stoppages...although this is primarily an issue in Athens and seem to have little impact on the islands.

Hank

Archived