? re:GPS in Cameras

Seems like pretty soon it will be a standard feature in cameras; I understand the geotagging and doubt if I'll use it very often. So my question is....would the GPS be helpful in finding my way around if I become disoriented in an unfamliar location. It's easy to become distracted when focused on capturing a certain shot, not a smart thing I know, but it can happen. thoughts, please?

How will you get the GPS information out of the camera when you are walking around lost and, would you understand what it told you? Unless you can find a camera with a built in map database I'm afraid at best you'd be stuck looking at 35° 59' 38" N / 78° 53' 56" W or even more cryptic 35.998343, -78.900356.

What is going to happen is that everyone will have a smartphone with a 8-10 Megcamera that is going to be good enough for 90% of our snapshots. It will be location aware and I'm sure an "app" will exist go geo tag. Your next phone will do it all, if it doesn't already, forget about your camera.

DSLR are like slow moving almost extinct animals. But I'm a slow moving almost extinct beast too :D

Seems like pretty soon it will be a standard feature in cameras; I understand the geotagging and doubt if I'll use it very often. So my question is....would the GPS be helpful in finding my way around if I become disoriented in an unfamliar location. It's easy to become distracted when focused on capturing a certain shot, not a smart thing I know, but it can happen. thoughts, please?

Some phones are already in excess of 12MP. But there is a lot more to image quality than MP count.

I can see cell phone cameras cutting into the P&S market, but I doubt they will impact the DSLR market much.

In my mind, the primary reason DSLRs exist is glass and sensor size. I don't see DSLR sized sensors appearing on phones.

But you never know about future technology.

• 1 year later...

I don't think a camera GPS will do you much good if you get lost, unless you've taken photos of some landmarks and can show them to a local and ask for help. My GPS-equipped camera includes some place names, but not enough to be useful.

But, a smartphone is a different matter. I understand that some of the map apps for smartphones are able to download area maps in advance (so you don't need a data connection). Given the stored map, plus the built-in GPS, and the built-in compass for good measure, you should be able to navigate almost anywhere in the world.

At this time I'm looking for a good Android map app that can store maps...anybody have a recommendation?

I don't think a camera GPS will do you much good if you get lost, unless you've taken photos of some landmarks and can show them to a local and ask for help. My GPS-equipped camera includes some place names, but not enough to be useful.

But, a smartphone is a different matter. I understand that some of the map apps for smartphones are able to download area maps in advance (so you don't need a data connection). Given the stored map, plus the built-in GPS, and the built-in compass for good measure, you should be able to navigate almost anywhere in the world.

At this time I'm looking for a good Android map app that can store maps...anybody have a recommendation?

Since last year sometime Google maps allows you to download maps for offline use.

Dave

Archived