Zaandam vs. Statendam

ArtM

We are considering an Alaska cruise for 2012.

The Zaandam and Statendam have essentially identical itineraries and pricing.

Are there any major reasons to select or not select one of them based on the current condition of the two ships? Does either one have any unique features or characteristics that could be interesting?

Thanks

Art

We sailed both, however, it has been awhile for Statendam.

We love Zaandam. We had an aft balcony on verandah near the elevators. So convenient and quiet.

Z has some nice music artifacts, Bill Clinton's sax--something from Billy Joel. Statendam has antique cannon and other things like that.

Can't really tell you any more than that. Both ships are nice. We just liked the Z better.

Pat

I'm not sure if it applies to this comparison or not, but consider the day of the week. Look at the itinerary for both ships and see how many ships are in port the days you will visit the major ports. Some of these ports can get very crowded if you have a lot of ships in port.

Roy

We are considering an Alaska cruise for 2012.

The Zaandam and Statendam have essentially identical itineraries and pricing.

Are there any major reasons to select or not select one of them based on the current condition of the two ships? Does either one have any unique features or characteristics that could be interesting?

Thanks

Art

Zaandam is a little bigger and 7 years newer, however the Statendam underwent a major overhaul last Spring with new decor in all rooms, public room changes that are incredible and the Showroom at Sea programming which is incredible.

As partial as I am to Zaandam I would recommend Statendam for you based on the SOE2 changes

We sailed both, however, it has been awhile for Statendam.

We love Zaandam. We had an aft balcony on verandah near the elevators. So convenient and quiet.

Z has some nice music artifacts, Bill Clinton's sax--something from Billy Joel. Statendam has antique cannon and other things like that.

Can't really tell you any more than that. Both ships are nice. We just liked the Z better.

Pat

The cannon was moved off the ship at dry dock.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2010/04/05/statendam-dry-dock-day-3/

I believe it was donated to some sort of museum in The Netherlands.

• 1 month later...
We booked May 2012 on the Zaandam. After reading the various reviews about her needing an overhaul, I called HAL. She is scheduled for drydock this October! :D

Really? Only dates I see available for this is Oct 23-30/11. Is it possible to do an overhaul in 7 days?

We sail for 58 days on Zandaam in Nov & I have heard horror stories about problems after HAL drydocks (HVAC smells, toilet back-ups, leaky pipes etc.)

Are you sure of this?

The Zaandam has three sets of elevators for a total of 12 elevators. The Statendam has only two sets for a total of 8 elevators. The added center set of elevators on the Zaandam is a plus. We've been both ships in the last 13 months and enjoyed both. We'd happily sail either again.

Archived