Shoes?

ppfqp

What kind of shoes do you recommend for touring in Alaska? We are not doing a lot of "hiking" but we will do some outdoor exploring. For other cruises we have done flip flops/walking sandals (teva, etc.). But I am thinking that's not a great option for this.

I don't really want to buy hiking boots for everyone - they are bulky to pack and we won't have any use for them back home.

Keep in mind that I have two teens, so the shoe options have to be practical but also "cool." Any ideas? Links to pictures would be great!

I have a pair of Clark Privos that are comfortable, lightweight and waterproof (plus I sprayed them w/waterproofing as well), and they were perfect last year. I also have a second pair of waterproof Clarks that I took on our first AK cruise (can't remember the style), but they were much heavier and I found that my lower legs felt tired at the end of an active day simply because of their weight. Now I just use them around the house for snowy or rainy weather when I won't be wearing them for such long periods of time.

No need to spend lots of $$$. Just get some low hikers and water proof spray. If you are in the West, Big 5 Sports is a great place to stock up right now. Just went with my mom to buy hers for our May AK trip - $20 only.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsecategoryl2&storeid=2504107&CatTreeID=568835&L2CatId=568835&L1CatID=

No need to spend lots of $$$. Just get some low hikers and water proof spray. If you are in the West, Big 5 Sports is a great place to stock up right now. Just went with my mom to buy hers for our May AK trip - $20 only.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsecategoryl2&storeid=2504107&CatTreeID=568835&L2CatId=568835&L1CatID=

On one trip I made it a point to look at what the local tour leaders and guides were wearing on their feet. It would appear that the standard Alaska shoe is a low or mid height hybrid hiking shoe made primarily of ballistic nylon. You can spend a fortune if you want, or as indicated here a little smart shopping can bring the price way down. My Merrells were about $35 at one of the big box places and they work great - the shoe equivalent of an all season M&S radial tire.

I live in Alaska, and I'll tell you that a couple years ago, I researched something to buy for hiking, and ended up buying something like these, below. (sorry if the pic turns out super big) Merrells are AWESOME. I love these so much, that they have now turned into my daily "casually wear with jeans" shoes, too. They are NOT your stereotypical clunky hiking boot that you may think of, from several years ago. They work just as well for hiking as they do casual walking, and I'm getting more value out of them than most shoes I've owned, since I wear them so much. Nice and sturdy, great support, but not heavy and clunky. I can't STAND clunky shoes.

Highly recommend looking at Merrells.

714SwhvTfvL._SL1186_.jpg

In case you don't like mid-heights, or high-tops, Merrell makes a ton of different models, including low tops.

71JhSj3lUrL._SL1190_.jpg

We will be cruising Alaska for the first time in August. My first concern when choosing a touring shoe for Alaska was that it be waterproof. Keen is my go to brand for comfortable shoe (I'm on feet all day at work) and Keen has a line of waterproof shoes. Here is a picture of the style I chose:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Red-Rock-Hiking-Shoe/dp/B0040MT37A]http://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Red-Rock-Hiking-Shoe/dp/B0040MT37A[/url

The #1 requirement for me is something that is COMFY!!! As has been said before, you'll spend a lot of time walking around and you don't want to ruin your vacation with achy, sore feet - no matter what type/brand you choose!

I also live & work in Alaska and my preference is the Teva eVent shoes. They're sturdy, lightweight, and BREATHE! I had absolutely no 'break in' period and they're still my daily shoes. Good luck and have FUN!! :-)

Thanks everyone! I would love to see more suggestions and examples. The a pictures are great because it gives me a starting point.

You can see a lot of good examples on the Mountain Equipment Co-op website. There are two ways to go. One is waterproof. However, waterproof also means that your feet will feel clammy and sweaty in warmer weather. The other way is breathable with fast drying fabric, so your feet can breathe and if they do get wet, the fabric will dry quickly.

Here's a picture of Garmonts similar to mine. I wanted a good combo of traction, flex, lightness, and breathability.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442632441&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302759881

Viv

Flip flops, not....

Its cool enough that I'd say sneaker is good enough. Really want to keep your feet dry than something waterproof is better but not required.

Hiking boots if you aren't an avid hiker are overkill. Yeah you look the part but lugging them isn't worth it.

What kind of shoes do you recommend for touring in Alaska? We are not doing a lot of "hiking" but we will do some outdoor exploring. For other cruises we have done flip flops/walking sandals (teva, etc.). But I am thinking that's not a great option for this.

I don't really want to buy hiking boots for everyone - they are bulky to pack and we won't have any use for them back home.

Keep in mind that I have two teens, so the shoe options have to be practical but also "cool." Any ideas? Links to pictures would be great!

My husband and I were in Ireland last year. I found a pair of Merrells at a Marshalls near my home and purchased them. They were WATERPROOF and extremely comfortable. I've worn them many times for hikes at home as well.:)

The OP seemed to want to stay away from having to purchase hiking shoes. But here are the Columbia Pagora shoes that I sprayed a couple of time with a waterproofing spray. After spraying them a couple of times, despite of the amount to canvas, they remained extremely waterproof...I have even turned a hose on them to check on dryness. As I recall, the cost of the shoes was in the region of $60.

41gvG1Zu-RL._SS400_.jpg

I have these Vasque low hikers that are Gortex treated.

JYT_dTd9Rk7nqKWAWlzpPuERzFd-3QhawA6Q-J3xm9f1l7jpE0W7aD3puJJ6dEejQ9hFuvK_0k94CzOoz32KG8fK6WJGFbPIRhGyC2TioKf3QnOSVuabspiosxh9A056ftU0fg3ossGSUHLxXcVRYTe45cQEjMQHMGcEaA0UKsPVtpWQzw

Just went hiking with them today and we had to cross some shallow stream beds. I tip toed across the water and my feet were completely dry. Love them. I got these at a discount outdoor store in the Eastern Sierras here in CA for ?$50 2 years ago.

I was at the Merrell outlet store a few weeks ago and saw quite a few pairs of waterproof low hikers that were marked down. Would have bought them if I didn't just get these.

I didn't want to spend to much for hikers as I don't think I'll have much use for them after my cruise but I found these on Cabela's website for $50 so I ordered a pair 2 days ago. I like the look of them so maybe I'll wear them more.:) Besides, I'm a Cabela's loyalist! They have a new store opening in a few weeks just 8 miles from my house! I might go broke in there this summer.:D

s7_812732_999_01?rgn=0,0,2000,1651&scl=5.2631578947368425&fmt=jpeg&id=3_U7wLdAB5oYx10Pu_LL9g

Archived