WWII buffs: what cruises do you recommend

MoneyGuy

My wife and I and a couple of friends are looking at doing a European river cruise this year. The men are both WWII buffs. I'd like to know what rivers, itineraries, cruise lines, etc. are most recommended for WWII sites, as well as others of interest for the women. Paris and Nuremberg would be of paricular interest. Please post here or I encourage you to email me directly at wrothe at shaw.ca.

My wife and son were able to tour Normandy when his middle school jazz band was invited to play during the 50th anniversary. My wife found the beaches and the cemetery inspiring and the people still appreciated Americans. Because of her view towards Normandy we are scheduled to take a Paris to Normandy and back cruise. One optional choice is to see the beaches and cemetery. Several cruise lines offer this trip. We are going on Viking for the first time but have traveled on both Uniworld and AMA. They were both great! We chose this cruise in late November because the price was exceptional. Even our travel agent was impressed.

I think Viking's Elegant Elbe itinerary is just what you're looking for. You will start in Berlin, spend a morning in Potsdam, and stop in such cities as Dresden that was razed to the ground by Allied bombing and rebuilt. This cruise is extremely educational concerning WWII as well as the "Cold War".

We did Viking's Paris to Normandy a few years ago and the time at the beaches and cemetery was most worthwhile. Also visited a couple of museums connected to the invasion. The guides did a great job of explaining what we were seeing.

Also, as you cruise the Seine, you pass the villa where Rommel stayed (from whence he took his ill-fated early June 1944 trip to see his wife on her birthday.)

We did Paris and Normandy with Uniworld. We did get to Juno - and the Canadian Cemetery at Benys sur Mer (? sp) --> but only because our CD arranged it for us. The day in Normandy is primarily geared to US travellers.

We did the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg - and over to Prague. There was a lot of WWII history along that route. How long a cruise are you looking at doing?? The Paris/Normandy is only a 7 day cruise - although you could add days before or after. The Budapest to Nuremberg (and then to Prague) was 14 days - without extra days. The time you have to spend might help make a decision.

If your husbands are true WW2 history buffs, I would suggest one of the land tours done with the specialized military history tour groups. My DH is the same category and did a Steven Ambrose tour (from D-Day to the Rhine), went back another year on his own to see more things in Normandy (rented a car, after taking the train out from Paris), and then another year went to Guam, Iwo Jima, and Hawaii. All of these were truly wonderful tours that he enjoyed a great deal. I was still working at the time, and he went on his own since he retired before I did.

On the European river cruises, you will also find scattered WW2 tours and museums, but nothing of the intensity that a land tour would give them. However, we are doing a Tulips and Windmills Cruise with Uniworld this April and have some sites and museums geared to DH's interest already highlighted.

My wife and I and a couple of friends are looking at doing a European river cruise this year. The men are both WWII buffs. I'd like to know what rivers, itineraries, cruise lines, etc. are most recommended for WWII sites, as well as others of interest for the women. Paris and Nuremberg would be of paricular interest. Please post here or I encourage you to email me directly at wrothe at shaw.ca.

My wife and I are organizng a bike barge tour from Passau to Vienna in September. The biking is mostly downhill. Lots of time for sightseeing. Should be lots of interest form WWII.

http://www.abiketour.com/Danube_Impression.html

If your husbands are true WW2 history buffs....

Ha, gay marriage is legal now in Canada but my spouse is still a woman. LOL

We're close to choosing and booking our cruise. It's a little lighter on the WWII stuff, but heavy on the other sites that are also very attractive in five countries on the Rhine, Main and Danube rivers. I could post the itinerary if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the advice from this great site.

Definitely the Paris to Normandy cruise. I've done 7 river cruises in Europe and I think all of them touch on something about WW2, but you see the most in Normandy. There was a museum in Caen, the beaches, Utah, Omaha and Point du Hoc where you see the remains of the German bunkers. Then there is the American Cemetery which is bigger than the others I've seen in southern France and Luxemburg. We had an excellent local guide and she really knew her history. The best museum is the German Documentation Center in Nuremberg, but there are others. On one cruise we got to visit the court room where the war criminals were tried. Can't always go there as this court room is still in use. Visited a concentration camp on a tour from Prague. It was Terezin. It was a sobering day. Also the town of Terezin has a museum dedicated to the children that died in the concerntration camps. There was a room where the names and birth date of the children were covering the walls. I couldn't help but notice that most of the children were born around the same year I was and most only lived a very few years. Never had a chance to grow up and had to endure a terrible time in those camps. Brought tears to my eyes. No matter which river cruise you pick you'll hear something and see something that relates to WW2.

Here is another vote for Viking's Elbe trip. It is the best of our Viking trips-we've been on 3. All of our guides had family that lived thru WWII. The on board lectures were very good. For all those who travel with GCT, they are starting and Elbe trip this year--honestly don't know if it includes Pragues. Vikings boat is being do over this winter, so it will be a lot more modern. One thing it has that I have not seen on Viking Europe boats is a chair lift to all decks includind the sun deck. Pat

Yes please post. I would be interested in seeing what you decided upon.

Because you asked. :D Not a tonne of WWII stuff, but it gets us to places I really want to see and goes through what I understand are beautiful areas of Europe, and goes to five countries. Our friend is Hungarian, so Budapest is appealing. The price is great - about $1,000 lower than basically the same itinerary with a different cruise line. I will say that the Paris-to-Normandy trip sounds mighty appealing. We travel a lot and I have do doubt we'll get to those places. Edit: We haven't booked yet but are leaning toward this cruise.

Imagine 15 magical days along the Rhine, Main and Danube Rivers. From Holland’s windmill-studded tulip fields to Germany’s fairy-tale castles, from the engineering marvel of the Main-Danube Canal to the picturesque vineyards of Austria’s Wachau Valley, this epic voyage presents the highlights of Holland, Germany, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. Savor a decadent Sachertorte in a Viennese café and panoramic views of imperial Budapest—and along the way, discover the legend of the Lorelei, the ancient art of glassblowing, the music of Mozart and more. Guests who choose this voyage soon see why it is our most popular itinerary.

Day 1Budapest

Arrive in Budapest, capital of Hungary, and transfer to your ship.* After boarding, the afternoon is yours to explore the city on your own—or join our “welcome walk” to stretch your legs and start getting oriented. (D)

Day 2Budapest

The Danube River divides this Hungarian capital city into “Buda” and “Pest.” Explore both parts, starting with Pest’s National Opera House and historic Heroes’ Square. In Buda, stroll Fishermen’s Hill to Fishermen’s Bastion and Matthias Church. Enjoy lunch aboard with the rest of the day to explore on your own. Return to your ship for a traditional Hungarian dinner. (B, L, D)

Day 3Bratislava

After an afternoon arrival, you embark on a walking tour of Slovakia’s charming capital to see attractions like the medieval fortifications at Michael’s Tower, baroque Trinity Church and Gothic St. Martin’s Cathedral. You also pass by several baroque palaces from the Habsburg Dynasty before you return to your ship and depart late tonight. (B, L, D)

Day 4Vienna

Ride along Vienna’s Ringstrasse, which replaced the city walls in the mid-19th century. You will also see Vienna’s world-famous Opera House, St. Stephan’s Cathedral and Hofburg Palace. Return aboard for lunch. The rest of the day is yours to further explore—as always, your Program Director can help you plan your free time. After dinner, enjoy an optional classical concert.

(B, L, D)

Day 5Melk

Today, visit the abbey at Melk, a 900-year-old Benedictine monastery featuring Austria’s finest Italian baroque architecture. See its wonderful frescoes and admire the comprehensive collection of medieval manuscripts in its library. Rejoin your ship and cruise through dinner. (B, L, D)

Day 6Passau

On this morning’s walking tour, see Passau’s narrow streets and Italianate architecture, and pass the Veste Oberhaus, a 13th-century fortress that served for centuries as a bishop’s stronghold. Then, listen to a concert on Europe’s largest pipe organ in St. Stephan’s Cathedral.† Enjoy free time and dinner aboard. (B, L, D)

† Passau organ concert not available after November 1.

Day 7Regensburg

Arrive in Regensburg after breakfast and tour this wonderfully preserved medieval city, a UNESCO World Heritage Site including structures dating back to Roman times. Discover many 13th- and 14th-century patrician houses and see the splendid St. Peter’s Cathedral. During free time, visit the Alte Wurstküche (Old Sausage Kitchen), Germany’s oldest restaurant. Cruise through dinner. (B, L, D)

Day 8Nuremberg

During morning cruising, you may choose to attend an interesting presentation about the European Union. Arrive late morning in Nuremberg; after lunch, disembark for a tour. Visit the ruins of Zeppelin Field, used in the 1930s as **** parade grounds, and see the Palace of Justice, site of the famous Nuremberg Trials. See the Old Town area as you walk down past the Albrecht Dürer House and Main Market Square. Spend more time exploring Nuremberg, or join an optional World War II history tour including the Documentation Center Museum. Enjoy free time throughout the evening; dinner is served aboard. Ship departs in the wee hours of the morning. (B, L, D)

Day 9Bamberg

Enjoy a tour of Bamberg, with its medieval city center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Your walking tour includes a visit to the magnificent 11th-century cathedral, reworked in late-Romanesque style in the 13th century, and the very picturesque city hall built on a tiny island in the middle of a river. Take some free time to enjoy Bamberg and sample some of the town’s distinctive smoke-flavored beer before returning aboard.

(B, L, D)

Day 10Würzburg

After breakfast, tour Würzburg’s Bishops’ Residenz, one of Germany’s largest and most ornate baroque palaces and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Enjoy lunch aboard—or, take an optional excursion along Germany’s “Romantic Road” to Rothenburg, which features a turreted city wall and lovely Gothic and baroque architecture. Rejoin your ship for dinner and an evening glassblowing demonstration. (B, L, D)

Day 11Wertheim

Wertheim is located at the confluence of the Main and Tauber Rivers. During your morning walking tour, experience life in a typical small German town. Stop in a bakery and a butcher shop, and learn about Wertheim’s glassblowing tradition. Enjoy free time to explore before returning to your ship for lunch. (B, L, D)

Day 12Middle Rhine & Koblenz

Cruise past hilltop castles along the Rhine; this stunning stretch of the river is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You pass the Lorelei Rock, which marks the river’s narrowest point; the rock is named for a local legend about Rhine Maidens who lure sailors to their doom. This afternoon, stop to visit Marksburg, the only Rhine castle never destroyed. Rejoin your ship in Koblenz and dine aboard. (B, L, D)

Day 13Cologne

Arrive in Cologne during breakfast, then disembark for a tour of Germany's fourth largest city. Stroll through the Old Town past St. Martin’s Church and visit the Dom, Germany’s largest cathedral and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Use your free time to enjoy Cologne’s atmospheric waterfront before returning aboard for dinner and evening departure. (B, L, D)

Day 14Kinderdijk

Sail along the Rhine during the morning hours, enjoying scenic views. You can try your hand at sjoelen (Dutch table shuffleboard). Arrive around lunchtime at Kinderdijk, a UNESCO World Heritage Site; tour this fascinating network of windmills and other ingenious flood management technologies. Return to your ship for a dinner of Dutch cuisine, and then sample Dutch cheeses and jenever, a juniper liqueur, as we sail toward Amsterdam, capital of the Netherlands. (B, L, D)

Day 15Amsterdam

After breakfast, disembark and proceed to the airport for your return flight.* Or, extend your journey with 2 additional nights in Amsterdam; take time to explore the city’s neighborhoods, museums and exciting nightlife. (B)

Okay, money guy, I'm paying more attention to your post this time--was too quick in replying before to read your intro about your wife!:o

On this itinerary, Nuremberg will of course have WW2 sites to visit--you will get to visit the Palace of Justice, where the war crimes trials were held but will likely be unable to visit the courtroom itself. We were very lucky on our visit there as that day was a holiday, and the courtroom was not in use.

If possible, schedule a few days extra in Amsterdam before you return home and you can visit Anne Frank House and the Dutch Resistance Museum with a possible side trip to Nijmegen and maybe to Arnhem. It would certainly be worth checking out, especially because it was the Canadians that liberated Amsterdam and the northern Netherlands. Lots of interesting info on the BBC site that has WW2 first-person stories from the military and the Dutch.

Okay, money guy, I'm paying more attention to your post this time--was too quick in replying before to read your intro about your wife!:o

On this itinerary, Nuremberg will of course have WW2 sites to visit--you will get to visit the Palace of Justice, where the war crimes trials were held but will likely be unable to visit the courtroom itself. We were very lucky on our visit there as that day was a holiday, and the courtroom was not in use.

If possible, schedule a few days extra in Amsterdam before you return home and you can visit Anne Frank House and the Dutch Resistance Museum with a possible side trip to Nijmegen and maybe to Arnhem. It would certainly be worth checking out, especially because it was the Canadians that liberated Amsterdam and the northern Netherlands. Lots of interesting info on the BBC site that has WW2 first-person stories from the military and the Dutch.

Good ideas, thanks.

You will be able to get more WWII than you might anticipate.

In Budapest - you must see the Museum of Terror. There is enough English that you can do it without extra translation. A very sobering experience. You should also find the "Shoes on the Danube" memorial. Not well advertised - but well work the walk (a short walk from the Chain Bridge - on the Pest side).

We had an amazing guide when we were in Bratislava - who talked quite a bit about the war --> as well as the political changes since that time.

Of course, Nuremberg has +++ history. My husband was very glad that he took the tour that went to the Zeppelin field and parade grounds. Not a lot to see - but very historical to stand on that soil.

There is lots to see in Amsterdam. We leave in less than 3 weeks. Have booked our tickets for the Anne Frank House - and have booked at WWII walking tour while we are there. Hoping to see the Dutch Resistance Museum as well.

Our 1st stop on our cruise is in Arnhem - so we will be able to see the Airborne Museum. Have bought "A Bridge Too Far" to watch before we go. Rather a bitter sweet trip for me. My Dad was in the "Queen's Own Rifles" - and was in Appeldorn (?sp) when the war ended. But he died before we discovered the world of river cruising - so can't share what we see with him. That was one of the reasons that we wanted Normandy on our 1st cruise. As well, my daughter was part of a school group that was at Juno Beach on the 60th Anniversary of D-Day - and her group took a time capsule to the June Beach Centre. It was great to see where they had buried it.

River cruising has brought WWII more into focus for me. I am sure that you will be able to find lots of things related to the war as you travel.

I think the Paris to Normandy cruise would be good, but only a small slice of WWII history. WWII sites are all over, and best covered by car. Some places that I have seen that are worthy:

Luxembourg (Patton's grave)

Arnheim, Netherlands (A Bridge to Far)

Berlin, Munich, Dresden, Cologne, Dachau, Berchtesgaden in Germany.

Auschwitz, Poland,

Verdun (That's WWI, but a great place to visit for history)

I never made it to Bastogne, Belgium, or Normandy, but those would be high on my list.

Archived