Mid September 2011 cruise

My DH and I are excited about our 12 day Mediterranean Cruise. We start in Barcelona and end up in Athens. Will we need summer clothes such as shorts and capris or more slacks and sweaters. I know to have comfortable shoes and possible rain gear. Thanks!!!!

It is still hot in September but you might consider skirts/summer dresses instead of shorts for walking around in cities. They are still comfy but will look nicer in city areas. I'd always bring a wrap/pashmina/sweater for evenings just in case and one never knows when it might rain. Be aware that in some cities shorts are not considered appropriate in churches.

My DH and I are excited about our 12 day Mediterranean Cruise. We start in Barcelona and end up in Athens. Will we need summer clothes such as shorts and capris or more slacks and sweaters. I know to have comfortable shoes and possible rain gear. Thanks!!!!

It will still be hot and you would be unlucky to get more than a brief shower. I always think you need the pashminas and jackets to keep warm inside the ship because of the aggressive air con!

Bonjour Janice,

I like riffatsea`s suggestion of skirts. I`m a light packer but will usually bring one or two skirts, one pair of shorts and one pair of pants and lots of tops to mix and match. I usually bring one very light sweater, one thicker sweater and a little jacket that can double up as a "rain shelter" if needed. Skirts are great for women imho, because you can wear the same skirt casually or dressed up...if it is warm, they are light and airy and if it is cool, I bring one pair of nylons or tights but in Sept in the W and E Med you should not worry about being cold. The only time is in the evening on the ship while out at sea, but you do not need to be "outside" on the ship, as you know!

For men, two pair of docker type pants and one pair of shorts with lots of tops to mix and match. One long sleeve sweater or sweatshirt and one light jacket that can double up as a "rain shelter".

September is considered the "ideal" Med months...not too hot but still very nice and a little less touristy than the summer. I`ve always gone in Oct and have enjoyed nice weather.

Bon voyage!

Archived