***GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT!!! A "Springbreakers" Review of the Destiny***

Recently off the Destiny myself and looking forward to your thoughts and experiences! :D

I have plenty of thoughts about it. Some good... some not so good. I haven't had a chance to read your review yet, but I plan to check it out soon.

Nice! You two are a good looking couple, and with a well informed lady like you, his vacations will be priceless. I wish my lady understood about planning ahead and the wonders of online forums.... I have it covered tho.;)

However, we are booked and will be shipping out next month. We'll be staying right across from Bayside Market, at the Holiday Inn. I can't wait!:D

Thanks again!

There is always that one planner in every relationship. ;)

Haha...thanks! We're going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. I.Cannot.Wait! I'll be posting a review when I get back so be on the lookout!:p

GREAT! that's the exact cruise June and I were thinking about. Take lots of pics! I will definitely look for it.

Embarkation Cont.

Ok, so where I left off we were at the pool deck taking pictures around 10am. We then went back to the room, collected our belongings, checked to make sure my passport was in my purse (3 times), and headed to the lobby to check out around 10:30. I was glad that the IC had so many elevators because there was a lot of luggage being moved down to the lobby. The check out time was 11, but I wanted to leave a little earlier in hopes to avoid a long line. You all know how I hate to wait. LOL.

Lucky for us, when we got to the lobby there was no one in line. Great! But there was also no one working behind the desk. Not great! So we stood there for a couple minutes, looking lost, and someone finally showed up. Apparently she was only there to check something in the computer because she never acknowledged us, nor the other two couples who were now in line behind us. Then a different women came up and motioned to us that she would help us in just one moment. Then she made a phone call that took alot longer than "one moment," and then checked us out just before a quarter to 11. Not a big deal at all, and I got time to take more hotel pics.

We began to walk outside, and realized that neither one of us knew how to get a taxi. Seriously, one of the most simple parts of our trip and we were dumbfounded. Around here if you wont a cab you have to look the number up and call. Then wait about a half hour til one shows up. So I made June go ask someone in the hotel because I thought it was such a silly question. While he was gone I noticed that there was a parking lot across the street filled with taxis. June told me that the hotel had a guy you were suppose to ask to signal the taxi to come over.

Ok, sounds easy. Now which guy do we ask?? Here's a hint, he's the one standing in the middle of the street. LOL. So I walked up to him and he asked if I needed a taxi. I said yes and waited for him to signal one. I didn't know the "signal" would be him loudly blowing a whistle over and over again, or I would've went back to the sidewalk. In any event, it worked and our taxi pulled up. The hotel employee put our bags in the trunk and we were off to the Port of Miami before 11. YAYAYAY

Here is a picture as we approach.

P2260508.jpg

Make sure you tell your driver which ship you are going to so they drop you off in the right place. There were two other ships in port that day, the Liberty, and something from some other line.

Once we pulled up our driver removed our bags, and handed them directly to a porter. I kinda had an issue with this because I was planning to carry my bags on with me. Why, you ask??? Well on my last cruise, the one when I was 12, my bag was lost. I remember the rest of my family getting their bags, but mine never came. TWO AND A HALF DAYS LATER guest services, then the pursers desk, brought my bag to the room. Guess where it was??? In someone else's cabin. THE WHOLE TIME! Seriously folks, if a bag is delivered to your room and it isnt yours TAKE IT TO GUEST SERVICES ASAP!!!

Sorry, I've been waiting years to rant about that. Ok so anyway, we paid our driver 10 bucks, our fare was less than 8 bucks + a tip. It was about a 7-8 minute ride. very quick. O, and you will go across a bridge. HAVE YOUR CAMERA READY!!! There will be a quick opportunity for an excellent picture of the ship, and I missed it. :(

Ok, so back to the porter. This guy was a character. He gave June and I a 2 minute talk, none of which I understood. Seriously, he just rambled on, no idea about what. The only phrase I caught was him asking for his tip when he said "I'm taking your bags to the ship, you take care of me here and now." Ok Mr. Porter Guy. I gave him 2 dollars for the large bag and a dollar for the one I really wanted to carry on. I decided to let him take it because the giant purse June bought me (thanks June) weighed about as much as a small child, so I really didnt feel like carrying another bag.

Once we walked into the terminal the first thing we saw was a woman welcoming us and directing us to the line. At first I thought the line was super long, but keep in mind, most people are in groups, and the luggage they are pulling takes up space as well. In less than 10 minutes we reached a podium where there was a woman checking our boarding passes and handing out public health forms, and then we went through security.

2011-02-26111032.jpg

I think my second biggest travel pet peeve (second to waiting) is people that don't know how to go through security. How hard is it to understand that the metal detector is going to beep as long as you carry metal thru it? Apparently it must be rocket science, because the group of people in front of me had to go thru it about 3-4 times before they got it right. -_-

They had two metal detectors, and I was asked to proceed to the one opposite the "our metal is good enough to go thru the detector" people. Went thru and started collecting my things and I noticed June wasn't behind me. The lady who waved me forward to her metal detector left, and now June had to wait behind the people made of metal. Which would have been fine, except a different security lady kept yelling at me to proceed forward. So I walked over to the escalators and stood there with the other people who were putting belts back on and waiting for the rest of their group. Then that same lady yelled at us all and told us we had to go upstairs. So up I went and I hoped June saw what happened and where I went. Well, of course he didn't and I was accused of leaving him for the rest of the trip.

At the top of the escalator there is another line. It moves much faster than the security line, as you are just handed a zone number. We got number 6... booo. Then were directed to some of those table things (like they have at the bank where they keep the deposit slips ect.) to fill out our health forms. Somehow we were only given one form, but not to worry, there were plenty extra on the table. The only thing there was a shortage of were things to write with. People must have been walking off with the little pencils. Lucky for us I had a ton of pens. (Thanks giant purse). It was now after 11:30 and they were calling zone #3. Then we got in yet another line to get up to the self service kiosks.

This line moved the slowest of all the lines we encountered, but still wasn't that bad. We were in this line for maybe 15 minutes or so. At the end of the line there was a woman collecting our health forms, and then directing people to the nearest kiosk. I LOVED the kiosks. They were so simple to use. All you needed to do was scan your passport, or the credit card you booked with and it brings up your reservation. Then you select which passengers you would like to check-in, and then set up your sign and sail account. Or is it sail and sign?? I heard both ways. We decided to use cash for our account for a variety of reasons.Then you just put your cash in the machine, like a vending machine. Each time you add a bill, it pops up on the screen. **NOTE: Just like a vending machine, you need to have crisp bills, or they will just get spit back out. Then you would have to go to guest services to apply your cash. The machine will tell you how much is "recommended" for your sailing. Since I had pre-paid our $100 dollars in tips, the machine recommended $150. We added $200 initially and decided to put the rest of our cash in the safe, and add to it later if we needed to (which we did). While we were at the machine zone #4 was called.

The machine prints out a receipt which you take to the real person to get your sail and sign cards. Since June procrastinated and never got a passport he had to show his birth certificate and was suppose to show his ID. However, the lady never asked for it. Odd. Leading up the the trip I teased June about being a cruise virgin and the fact that he was going to have a blue sign and sail card.THEY GAVE HIM A GOLD ONE!! He didn't even earn it.

ss.jpg

Yes June's real name is Carl. Don't tell him I told you guys. Hehe

We headed to a vending machine so June could get his last pop for a while, and they called zone number 5. By the time he got back and opened his Sprite, zone 6 was called and we were on our way to our new home by noon.

P2260511.jpg

miami.jpg

I just found this review--AWESOME!

Seriously, I'm a 38 year old married mom and I'd love to vacation with you. Love your style! Can't wait for more.

We'll be on the Destiny next week.

Aww. Thank you so much! If you're cruising with your family soon, you can adopt me. ;)

Great review.

You should have brought your talents to, The Ohio State University!!!:p

Well written and comical.

Thanks.

Thanks... I think. :o My blood is Maize and Blue. UofM was actually the only place I applied... thank god I got in.

I am LOVING this! Can't wait to read more, the detailing is just feeding my excessive need for cruise information. Miami is so beautiful in your pics, we might need to try leaving out there next time.

I am absolutely loving your review. I can't wait until you post more. You are so great with all the details. Now I have a question I am dreading asking ;)....... My dear son would like to know if you could post one of the pictures June took of the car ? He is dying to see it.... it most definatly is a "boy" thing lol ..... Thanks :D

Great review!!! Love your style...keep it coming!!!

Thank You. :)

I am LOVING this! Can't wait to read more, the detailing is just feeding my excessive need for cruise information. Miami is so beautiful in your pics, we might need to try leaving out there next time.

I loved sailing out of Miami. You even get to sail by South Beach! I'll post a pic when I get to the sail-away.

I am absolutely loving your review. I can't wait until you post more. You are so great with all the details. Now I have a question I am dreading asking ;)....... My dear son would like to know if you could post one of the pictures June took of the car ? He is dying to see it.... it most definatly is a "boy" thing lol ..... Thanks :D

Thank you! You know how when you're about 6 or 7 and you think boys are weird? Well you start to get that mentality back when you hit 20. :rolleyes: Here are a couple.

P2250440.jpg

022511172215-1.jpg

and here is a link to way more!

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/aston-martin-virage-geneva-2011/#3928486

That should hold him over.

Glad to see ya back! Still loving your review and the things you include.. like the metal detector virgins, your big purse and the fact that you said "pop" when no one else in the rest of the country calls it that, lol it's a Michigan thing! Keep it coming but don't neglect your homework! :)

Thank you Baileydog :D

Glad to see ya back! Still loving your review and the things you include.. like the metal detector virgins, your big purse and the fact that you said "pop" when no one else in the rest of the country calls it that, lol it's a Michigan thing! Keep it coming but don't neglect your homework! :)

Thank you very much! Are Michiganders really the only ones who call it that? My family in Alabama calls all pop "coke". Its very confusing.

As far as homework... I have an extreme case of senioritis. I have no idea how I'm going to make it the six weeks to graduation. None of my friends can motivate me because we are all in the same boat. :( "I think I can... I think I can."

As a fellow african-american lady cruiser I have to ask...How did you keep your hair from sweating out? My hair is pretty much the same length as yours, but I swear, I have to put my hair in a pony tail as soon as our bags are delivered. As soon as we land in FL, my hair is soak n wet.

Sorry for the off-topic question. :. :o

Thank you Baileydog :D

Thank you very much! Are Michiganders really the only ones who call it that? My family in Alabama calls all pop "coke". Its very confusing.

As far as homework... I have an extreme case of senioritis. I have no idea how I'm going to make it the six weeks to graduation. None of my friends can motivate me because we are all in the same boat. :( "I think I can... I think I can."

I don't even know you and I KNOW you can...you are an extremely bright and obviously vivacious young lady... you have a lot going for you...your hard work is going to pay off big time, don't get discouraged!

As for the "pop" thing.. long time ago I went on a date with a guy from Philly.. he asked me if I would like a soda.. (ew why would I drink that tasteless colorless bubbly water??!!) I said "NO I'll have a pepsi please" lol der.. I have my clueless moments :)

As a fellow african-american lady cruiser I have to ask...How did you keep your hair from sweating out? My hair is pretty much the same length as yours, but I swear, I have to put my hair in a pony tail as soon as our bags are delivered. As soon as we land in FL, my hair is soak n wet.

Sorry for the off-topic question. :. :o

I actually had a fresh relaxer the week before the cruise. I did put it up while in ports because it was humid, and I was outside alot. While on the ship I never got to warm because I wasn't outside much during the day. My problem was after being at the beach. It was a mess after that and I had to have it pressed.

I don't even know you and I KNOW you can...you are an extremely bright and obviously vivacious young lady... you have a lot going for you...your hard work is going to pay off big time, don't get discouraged!

As for the "pop" thing.. long time ago I went on a date with a guy from Philly.. he asked me if I would like a soda.. (ew why would I drink that tasteless colorless bubbly water??!!) I said "NO I'll have a pepsi please" lol der.. I have my clueless moments :)

Thank you! That helped alot. after tomorrow. only 5.5 more weeks. i KNOW i can. :)

and we all have those clueless moments. there will be plenty from June in the next couple posts. *First time cruisers, LOL.

Tomorrow my goal is to finish sail-away and get through the entire first sea day. Stay tuned for the HILARIOUS things my virgin cruiser boyfriend said. and the problems i had with my cabin steward. I should also say that I have all my funtimes, but I don't have a scanner. I'm going to try taking a few pictures of them tomorrow, if they come out well enough i will post them.

More tomorrow. I have an essay to write. :( and a boring book to read. :mad::mad:

College Cruiser I'm so enjoying your review. My family of 7 will be on the Destiny 6/4. I'm planning on having so many laughs with the "cruise virgins". I'm sitting here rushing the day when I can sit in the Atlanta airport headed to Miami.. But.... It's coming LOL.

I can't wait to read even more!! :D

Wow I have to say this is really the Best Well Written Review Iv'e Seen!! Lovin it and cant wait to read more...It made me smile and laugh so keep it up :)

We too recently are off the Destiny I posted a review as well overall we had a great time and My kids well they will ONLY Cruise for now on...LOL they are 16 and 12...

We will be headed on the Liberty you should check that ship out as well going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman!!

After winding our way through the gangway we finally stepped onto the outside portion of deck 3. We were met with another line, because you have to get your sign and sail card security photo taken before you can continue into the atrium. My June, being the observant guy he is, spotted the other entrance to the ship a little further down the deck. There was no line there. Everyone else did what I did and went to join the first line. So down the deck, and into the ship we went.

Here, there was a carnival employee taking your s&s card, and putting it in the machine to take your picture. He was helping a family of four when we approached and I thought he was a little harsh with them. He seemed to be really frustrated and annoyed by the job he was doing. The problem was that people would move, just a tiny bit, and therefore blur their picture, and he would have to do it all over again. The wife of the family kept smiling to late, and the young children couldn't keep still. Every time he would have to take another picture he would sigh loudly and roll his eyes.

June and I made it thru without a problem and then the employee said very loudly, "Wow, you guys are the first to get your picture taken correctly all day!" It seemed clear he wanted the family in front of us to overhear him, which I thought was pretty rude. So make sure you stand on the mat in front of the machine, put your feet inside the yellow shoe prints on the mat, look at the camera, and smile BEFORE he puts your card in the thingy, and stay still!!

Here is the view when you walk in.

P2260512.jpg

At this point everyone, and i mean EVERYONE, boarding the ship will be heading to the elevators. We waited with the masses in front of the elevators for about 3.4 seconds when I decided I had enough of all this waiting, and we took the stairs. Its only 6 decks right? LOL. Bye suckers!

P2260513.jpg

Here is our first lido deck picture. It was still very empty.

P2260515.jpg

I think the best thing to do at this point is to grab some food and find a table before it gets to busy on deck. HOWEVER, when traveling with a first time cruiser this is very difficult because they have to look at EVERYTHING. Some notable quotes from June up to this point were:

Entering the atrium. June:"So when will we really be on the BOAT?" Me: "We are on the SHIP dear." June:"Really, this is the BOAT??? It doesn't look like a boat at all!! WOW! *takes photos* Me: Ummm... yea what were you expecting...

Arriving on the lido deck. June: "Hey... look we can still see Miami" Me: "Duh, we haven't gone anywhere yet." June. "Why aren't we moving yet"

Me: "Maybe because people ARE STILL BOARDING" June: Yea that makes sense." *takes photos of Miami*

SMH. To my relief one of the guys carrying the DOD (Funship Special today) asked us if we wanted a drink. Thank you drink gods! We both ordered one for a little over $16 bucks total. Before he would hand me my drink, but AFTER I paid for it, he asked for my ID to make sure I was 21. This was one of the main inconsistencies I noticed. Sometimes I would get carded when I ordered, sometimes after I paid, A couple times after I was half-way done with my drink, and sometimes not at all.

I had this plastic holder, that holds two cards attached to my lanyard, so I always had my DL handy. I just wish they had one set system for checking ID's. It would be great if people who were underage had a red border or something around their s&s cards to easily differentiate them.

Anyway, here is one of my favorite pictures.

2011-02-26120710-1.jpg

If you decide you want to take a picture like this, BE CAREFUL because the bottom of the cup doesn't sit flat on the railing. It takes some careful balance. June and I both loved the funship! It was fruity, yet very strong. It was the only drink we tried that I ordered more than once and June had about 6 of those alone throughout the cruise.

After we had our drinks we decided to go eat. We sat inside the lido restaurant, but on deck 10, because no one was up there. Thanks to cruise critic I knew about this area because I probably would've wandered deck 9 looking for a table for a while. I sent June to grab food first because 1)I was ready to sit down 2)I was saying goodbye to Facebook and Twitter 3)I was making some last minute phone calls, and 4)I had a funny feeling June was going to come back empty handed because he doesn't like trying "new" food, and I would have to save the day by fining the grille.

Sure enough he came back with very slim pickings. So off I went to get two cheeseburgers, fries, and some chicken tenders for us to split. You should've seen his face light up when I brought that tray back.

The buffet area is where the Destiny needs some major work. The lines start near the outside of the ship, and run to the center both ways. Therefore, its impossible to avoid a traffic jam in the center because everyone runs into each other. In addition, the dessert and salad stations are in the center of the room, very close to the buffet line, so that adds to the traffic jam as well. So we never ate at the buffet, just the grille, deli, and pizzeria, and then sat inside to watch the fiasco unfold at lunch time. I wouldn't recommend eating there during peak hours.

P2260529.jpg

see where the little girl in purple is standing? that area was traffic jam central for the rest of the week.

We ate, sat around until 1:30 when I told June our room would be ready. I stood up and June began to gather all the plates we had, put them on the tray and started to pick it up. I asked what he was doing and he said, "cleaning our table, where do I put this tray." Poor naive June! I told him that we had to leave it there and some one would come get it. He did not believe me! He just stood there holding the tray, looking around for somewhere he was suppose to put it. He is a really tidy guy and was really bothered about walking away from a dirty table. Then one of the restaurant workers came over and said, "give me that tray, you are on vacation. no cleaning up this week!" I still tease June about that to this day.

On the way to our room I stopped for a frozen yogurt. When I handed him his cone he asked, "Is this free too?" Yes it is, I replied. "So I can have as much as I want??" Yes June, you can.

Here is ice cream 1/1,000,000 for June.

P2260531.jpg

OMG.....your writing style is simply awesome!!!! I have never been so focused on reading a review. I can't wait to show this to my family for our July cruise. Everything is just so awesome!!!! Do you have more pics on your facebook??? I would love to see those also.

Oh I am loving the pics cuz some of the are EXACTLY the same as mine - ha ha ha (okay I didn't dare balance a drink on the railing when I got my Miami skyline picture).

And it is fun hearing June and his 'cruise virgin' comments! Must have been very entertaining :D:D

Archived