I won my first cruise and need some advice!

Hello!

I won a cruise from my previous employer, and I have been looking at the different options that I have, so far I have found two cruises I am interested in taking, I am looking to get a couple good opinions on the areas, the boats, and previous experiences if you have taken the same one. My fiance and I are in our early 20's and want to go on a nice fun cruise, I have never been on one, and he has only been on one to Alaska. We have to pay for airfare and excursions, but everything else is covered so we aren't too worried about the price, Let me know your opinions as he is no help!;)

The first is on the Carnival Freedom-here is the itinerary:

Ft Lauderdale, FL 4pm

Fun Day at Sea

San Juan, Puerto Rico 5-12pm

St. Thomas, USVI 7-6:00pm

Antigua 7-6:00pm

Tortola, BVI 7-3:30pm

Fun Day at Sea

Nassau, the Bahamas 12-7:00pm

Ft Lauderdale, FL 8:00am

The second is on the Carnival Victory:

San Juan, Puerto Rico 10pm

St. Thomas, USVI 7-5pm

Fun Day at Sea

Barbados 8-5:00pm

St. Lucia, WI 8-5:00pm

St Kitts, WI 8-6:00pm

St. Maarten, NA 7-5:00pm

San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am

I haven't been to most of those ports in many years, so can't help a whole lot there. But I can tell you that while Nassau is Okay if you've never been there, I would not give it a lot of weight in your decision. It's just not all that nice, so don't let it be the deal maker for you.

Hope you get some better input. ;)

We've been to most of the islands on both itineraries. You'll have a great time on either itinerary. I haven't been on either ship, so you should read the reviews of both ships to get an idea of which you'll enjoy best. The ship is half the fun on a cruise. We've flown to Ft. Lauderdale and to San Juan to catch the ship and the airfare was higher to fly to San Juan. Check the airfare to both and see how much the difference may affect your decision. You'll find great things to do on all the islands on both itineraries. We always find favorite ports on the eastern, western and southern Caribbean routes.

few things to think about on the san juan u will need a passport and probbly higher airfare

now as for the itinerarys i would say u would definitely enjoy your self on both but search the board for the different islands and see what grabs your eyes the most and go with that 1. goodluck

few things to think about on the san juan u will need a passport and probbly higher airfare

I'm all for having a valid passport (in fact I just renewed mine) but with all due respect the OP does not NEED to have a passport for the San Juan cruise. It appears that the OP is from Washington and will be going on a closed loop cruise. As such the OP only needs a state issued photo ID and a certified copy of his/her birth certificate.

Again, a passport is better but not required. :)

To the OP:

Both itineraries look great. I would lean towards the Victory out of San Juan but airfare can get really expensive and the Ft. Lauderdale cruise is still "good" in my opinion.

I had a blast on the Victory but it was a little hard to navigate. There were times where you had to go up or down a deck to get to a different part of the ship and then go back to the same floor. Some decks you couldn't walk from bow to stern without changing decks. Otherwise it was great!

Thanks so much! I have already looked into airfare, its about $200 more pp to fly into san juan, but we were thinking of flying down and staying in a hotel Friday and Saturday night. I have definitely looked at both boats, review, pictures an all that good stuff, and I have to admit the freedom looks like it would be more exciting than the victory. We don't need passports, but we plan on getting mine, he already has his, just incase anything happens we don't want to be stuck anywhere! As far as the ports go, we are open to both but are looking for ones with fun excursions like snorkeling, ziplining or something to that matter. The nassau port doesn't really affect our opinion too terribly much, he and his family have been there numerous times as his sister was a missionary there for about 3 years.

As I said last time the price of the airfare, excursions and all the fun stuff doesn't affect our choice, we have been saving, and want to have the most fun we can!

Keep up the input because we keep flip flopping! Haha

As far as the ports go, we are open to both but are looking for ones with fun excursions like snorkeling, ziplining or something to that matter. The nassau port doesn't really affect our opinion too terribly much, he and his family have been there numerous times as his sister was a missionary there for about 3 years.

As I said last time the price of the airfare, excursions and all the fun stuff doesn't affect our choice, we have been saving, and want to have the most fun we can!

Keep up the input because we keep flip flopping! Haha

If you go with the Nassau route I can recommend going to Blue Lagoon with Dolphin Encounters for their Dolphin Swim. It was about $185 per person but the excursion was amazing! For you the only drawback would be timing. The island closes down around 4 or 5 o'clock so you would get a chance to spend extra time on their beach, but you should be able to do a dolphin swim.

Antigua and St. Lucia both have zip lining available. We are going zip lining in St. Lucia (basicly because nothing else looked interesting to us and Antigua has better beaches).

Most of the southern islands have snorkeling available and in Barbados a very popular excursion is to go swimming/snorkeling with the sea turtles. :)

If you go with the Nassau route I can recommend going to Blue Lagoon with Dolphin Encounters for their Dolphin Swim. It was about $185 per person but the excursion was amazing! For you the only drawback would be timing. The island closes down around 4 or 5 o'clock so you would get a chance to spend extra time on their beach, but you should be able to do a dolphin swim.

Antigua and St. Lucia both have zip lining available. We are going zip lining in St. Lucia (basicly because nothing else looked interesting to us and Antigua has better beaches).

Most of the southern islands have snorkeling available and in Barbados a very popular excursion is to go swimming/snorkeling with the sea turtles. :)

I will have to look into the swimming/snorkeling with the sea turtles!!! That sounds like so much fun! When are you taking your cruise? You will have to let me know of any cool things you discover while on vacation!

You sound like you are enjoying the planning already so I am sure you will enjoy either one. We did the Carnival Victory itinerary and had a great time but we embarked and disembarked in Barbados.

I am having so much fun already planning it, neither of us have ever been on a nice LONG vacation, and we plan on getting a hotel for the weekend before and sunday night once we get back into which ever port we decide to go with. The fiance laughs at me because the earliest one, san juan, is in January and I have already been doing my research and looking at reviews and fun stuff to do, but I want to do the research now so we can simply relax, know what we are doing and be prepared for everything we will have going on!

....don't forget to pay your taxes......you now have a partner with the I.R.S....:eek:

Taxes, what taxes???? :p ;)

Thank you guys so much for all of your help and input!

Hello!

I won a cruise from my previous employer, and I have been looking at the different options that I have, so far I have found two cruises I am interested in taking, I am looking to get a couple good opinions on the areas, the boats, and previous experiences if you have taken the same one. My fiance and I are in our early 20's and want to go on a nice fun cruise, I have never been on one, and he has only been on one to Alaska. We have to pay for airfare and excursions, but everything else is covered so we aren't too worried about the price, Let me know your opinions as he is no help!;)

The first is on the Carnival Freedom-here is the itinerary:

Ft Lauderdale, FL 4pm

Fun Day at Sea

San Juan, Puerto Rico 5-12pm

St. Thomas, USVI 7-6:00pm

Antigua 7-6:00pm

Tortola, BVI 7-3:30pm

Fun Day at Sea

Nassau, the Bahamas 12-7:00pm

Ft Lauderdale, FL 8:00am

The second is on the Carnival Victory:

San Juan, Puerto Rico 10pm

St. Thomas, USVI 7-5pm

Fun Day at Sea

Barbados 8-5:00pm

St. Lucia, WI 8-5:00pm

St Kitts, WI 8-6:00pm

St. Maarten, NA 7-5:00pm

San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am

I would go for the first one only because it is a day longer. One more day cruising is better than one more day ashore. :p They both look great, have fun.

Bill

I will have to look into the swimming/snorkeling with the sea turtles!!! That sounds like so much fun! When are you taking your cruise? You will have to let me know of any cool things you discover while on vacation!

We will be on the June 5th sailing of the Serenade. I will be doing a full review when I return so keep an eye out on the port boards, I will post excursion specific info there.

Lucky you!

I'd choose the one out of San Juan if you can swing the extra cost of the airfare there. There is a lot to see in San Juan and you could easily fill a few pre-cruise days. I think the ports on the second option are a little more 'exotic' and beautiful and would be more fun (IMHO).

I'm sure you'll have a great time either way. Good luck!

P.S. I should say my first cruise was on Carnival out of San Juan and it got me hooked on cruising!

Well, We have finally made the big decision, after comparing airfare, ports and the like. We will be taking our first cruise out of San Juan on January 15th! :D:D:D:D

Thanks for all of your help and opinions. Now, let me know if any of you know of some good hotels in San Juan! We decided we will fly out of SeaTac on Thursday, get there Friday and stay in a hotel until we leave Sunday. We are also debating getting a room for the day/night we get back and leaving San juan on Monday, do you guys have any input on just coming home the day we get back, or should we stay and play??

Thanks!

You commented that everything was included except airfare and excursions. Don't forget tips and drinks on board. That can add up quite quickly. Read up on all the ins and outs here on CruiseCritic. Turn off your cell phones so you don't get a huge bill when you return.

Well, We have finally made the big decision, after comparing airfare, ports and the like. We will be taking our first cruise out of San Juan on January 15th! :D:D:D:D

Thanks for all of your help and opinions. Now, let me know if any of you know of some good hotels in San Juan! We decided we will fly out of SeaTac on Thursday, get there Friday and stay in a hotel until we leave Sunday. We are also debating getting a room for the day/night we get back and leaving San juan on Monday, do you guys have any input on just coming home the day we get back, or should we stay and play??

Thanks!

Since you are interested in active type excursions you may want to look into doing a Bio Bay excursion in San Juan. If the moon isn't too bright you can do a night kayak trip where there are "sparklies" in the water that glow when the boats and paddles move them around. This sounds like a really neat experience and we are going to do it the night before our cruise.

Since you are flying cross country I would be tempted to fly straight home but take an extra vacation day at home, but staying an extra day is always fun!

Two right in Old San Juan: the Milano is an often-cited budget-friendly spot to stay, with a nice rooftop restaurant.

A pricier-- but in my view, worth it-- choice is the Gallery Inn. Check out their website for lots of beautiful pix. With its courtyards, stairways, gardens, fountains, and art (and artists!) everywhere, this is perhaps the most enchanting spot in a magical town-- in fact, I was so delighted by my brief stay there in January 2003 that I tell visitors to San Juan that they should just go LOOK at the place, even if they're bunking elsewhere!

Archived