Dream / Percentage dock rate in Roatan

Toast1412

Seems like the Dream doesn't dock in Roatan quite often due to high winds.

Are there any stats out there relating to how often they cancel this stop? Is it 10%, 25%, 50%???

Also, if they don't stop is there an alternate stop or do they just take it as an additional sea day?

no matter what the percentage is, there is always a chance you will be unable to dock there ! Personal experience on the Crown Princess.....we were scheduled and the sailing before made it, we didnt and the two sailings after made it..... no accuracy can be provided when mother nature is involved. Just be prepared to miss the port of call !

no accuracy can be provided when mother nature is involved. Just be prepared to miss the port of call !

I'm not trying to predict the future, just looking for some historical data.

I mean if it misses half the time, why do they bother puting the stop on an itinerary:confused:

I'm not trying to predict the future, just looking for some historical data.

I mean if it misses half the time, why do they bother puting the stop on an itinerary:confused:

My guess the stats (and I have no idea where these are or where to find them) are much closer to 25% of the time. While they knew it was tight to get in and out of there (been there and seen it done), the weather over the past year has been problematical at best. Whatever the stats are, I would be shocked to see them continue overa longer period of time. I have seen more missed ports of call due to wind in the past year than I have seen the rest of my time here on CC. The amount of moeny CCL spent on Roantan tells me they (CCL) thought the same as well.

An engineer in my office just returned from a cruise on the Dream and his sailing didn't get to go to Roatan. This really has been an odd weather year outside the normal patterns. Its probably a higher percentage rate of not going this year.

I have seen more missed ports of call due to wind in the past year than I have seen the rest of my time here on CC.

So if they can't make it in, do you know if there is an alternate stop?

There was a similar post to this awhile back. As far as I remember the final result was that it has actually only missed that port twice. It seems like John Heald actually checked with that ship because someone indicated that it missed more than it made it to that port...

So if they can't make it in, do you know if there is an alternate stop?

While I don't know the schedule for the other port, CCL owns (or at the very least totally controls) Mahogany Bay and my guess would be that they have relinquished rights for the old port (name escapes me right now) for monentary reasons.

The number of times a ship misses a port is pretty tough to find out. CCL really doesn't want that info to be public knowledge. While they can't block it, they certianly don't publicize it either. I looked for the same info on how often HMC is missed, and could find no credible website or source for the info.

While I don't know the schedule for the other port, CCL owns (or at the very least totally controls) Mahogany Bay and my guess would be that they have relinquished rights for the old port (name escapes me right now) for monentary reasons.

Coxen Hole, aka 'The Hole' :)

Dream misses a port a few times in a month or two ...and next thing ya know people are claiming its a trend ...unless you have figures from all the Dream cruises that went to this port, just taking the last couple of months means nadda.

Dream misses a port a few times in a month or two ...and next thing ya know people are claiming its a trend ...unless you have figures from all the Dream cruises that went to this port, just taking the last couple of months means nadda.

Trend or anomaly, the last few times that the Dream attempted to dock at Mahogany Bay it backed off and sailed away, while smaller ships sailed right in and moored. Bad weather can spoil any port call, but it's undeniable that your chances of a weather wash-out in Roatan are greater with the Dream than with the Legend, Valor, etc. or with any ships that dock at Coxen Hole.

Seems like the Dream doesn't dock in Roatan quite often due to high winds.

Are there any stats out there relating to how often they cancel this stop? Is it 10%, 25%, 50%???

Also, if they don't stop is there an alternate stop or do they just take it as an additional sea day?

If you want to dig out the numbers yourself, start with the reviews page, then read the RollCalls. People usually post/write about missed ports. Our Feb 19, 2011 sailing skipped Roatan.

When we were in Roatan last April our guide with Victor Bodden told us that Carnival had signed a 20 something year lease on Mahogany Bay. So I don't see them leaving there anytime soon. He also said that that side of the island had alot of wind. He thought it was very strange to have a dock there. I guess the owner of Mahogany Bay did a good sales job.

Sharon

Archived