Alcohol on NCL ships

BIGDADDY1

Hello, I have been on Carnival cruises before and was able to bring bottles of booze on board quite easily. My question is how is NCL for checking bags for alcohol? I was also wondering if any of you have tried to bring on a few bottles. If you were successful how did you do it? I am familiar with all the special plastic bottles to use to help smuggle booze on board, but with Carnival, it was not needed it was rather easy. Four cruises success all four times.

Hello, I have been on Carnival cruises before and was able to bring bottles of booze on board quite easily. My question is how is NCL for checking bags for alcohol? I was also wondering if any of you have tried to bring on a few bottles. If you were successful how did you do it? I am familiar with all the special plastic bottles to use to help smuggle booze on board, but with Carnival, it was not needed it was rather easy. Four cruises success all four times.

I am guessing you haven't cruised Carnival in the past year. They are probably stickier now than NCL. Carnival, NCL and RCI have all cracked down on bringing any booze on the ship. I will laeve it at that, this subject is always a very hot topic...

Nita

I am guessing you haven't cruised Carnival in the past year. They are probably stickier now than NCL. Carnival, NCL and RCI have all cracked down on bringing any booze on the ship. I will laeve it at that, this subject is always a very hot topic...

Nita

No, I have not. Too bad they are changing the way they do this. Its not like we don't spend a lot on the ship on drinks anyway. Its just nice to have a drink or two in the room before you head out. I will have to factor that in to the price when picking a vacation in the future. Land based all-inclusive sounds more and more attractive all the time.

Was it confiscated or did you get it back at the end of the cruise?

Got it back at end of cruise. What happened was we bought booze on NCL Epic because they have a price match guarantee.

We got off Epic In Miami and took transportation to Fort Lauderdale to board Carnival Freedom same day and had forgot booze was in our luggae, the stuff wasn't for us as we don't drink but had bought it as gifts because our booze in Canada 2 to 3 times the price of duty free.

I've not had a problem on 5 NCL cruises. Put plastic bottles in my luggage and also put plastic bag of wine (Franzia) and stick it in the frig. Works for us.

No, I have not. Too bad they are changing the way they do this. Its not like we don't spend a lot on the ship on drinks anyway. Its just nice to have a drink or two in the room before you head out. I will have to factor that in to the price when picking a vacation in the future. Land based all-inclusive sounds more and more attractive all the time.

and I agree with you 100%. The problem is, there were those who took advantage of a good thing and would bring their entire bar on the ship, so the cruise lines (which depend on booze sales) started cracking down. As for AI, I will say, the ones that are most popular, are more expensive than cruising and you still don't get the luxury of seeing more places like you do cruising. I think there is a place for both AI and cruising in most vacation plans. We stick with crusing (we have done a couple AI).

Nita

I've not had a problem on 5 NCL cruises. Put plastic bottles in my luggage and also put plastic bag of wine (Franzia) and stick it in the frig. Works for us.

Frazia, now that is about as bad as it gets, that is only for the weekdays at home. LOL

I sure wouldn't base a cruise on the ability to be able to bring booze on.

:D

(a die-hard, doesn't care if I get to drink on the cruise cause it's just as fun without it, type of person) :D

So if I am given a bottle of wine in my stateroom form the travel agent, am I going to get charged the cork fee?

If you have a bottle of wine in your checked bag and you get called to the Naughty Room, do not try to tell them that it was a gift from your travel agent. I saw numerous people try and if they wanted the wine, they had to pay the corkage. A travel agent who does buy you a bottle needs to make arrangements through NCL to order.

The X-Ray technology is getting better, and they tend to spot bottles in the original container.

We recently cruised Carnival out of Miami, and all our bags had some hidden liquor and none was taken. One of our party mistakenly put a bottle of wine in a checked bag and it was taken even though it would have been allowed as a carryon.

Here are some tips:

• People were bringing beer in the carryons and getting it through. Apparently they were focused on bottles at the time.
  • We used plastic flasks called RumRunners. The 8oz and 16oz sizes are best. Smaller the better.
  • Put your flasks inside of clothes, shoes, etc.
  • Don't pack big soda bottles in the same bags as the liquor.
  • You can put 8oz flasks in your pants pockets and they won't be detected if pants are baggy. If you wear long pants you can stuff some in tube socks and tape the top tight to your leg.

This all sounds like a lot of hassle, but a friend recently went on a RCI cruise... he came back and said his smuggled liquor was taken and his bar tab was $800!

I don't know about you but there is no way I am spending hundreds of bucks on alcohol on a cruise. No way, no how! If I have to give up drinking, I am not paying those prices!!

The X-Ray technology is getting better, and they tend to spot bottles in the original container.

We recently cruised Carnival out of Miami, and all our bags had some hidden liquor and none was taken. One of our party mistakenly put a bottle of wine in a checked bag and it was taken even though it would have been allowed as a carryon.

Here are some tips:

• People were bringing beer in the carryons and getting it through. Apparently they were focused on bottles at the time.
  • We used plastic flasks called RumRunners. The 8oz and 16oz sizes are best. Smaller the better.
  • Put your flasks inside of clothes, shoes, etc.
  • Don't pack big soda bottles in the same bags as the liquor.
  • You can put 8oz flasks in your pants pockets and they won't be detected if pants are baggy. If you wear long pants you can stuff some in tube socks and tape the top tight to your leg.

This all sounds like a lot of hassle, but a friend recently went on a RCI cruise... he came back and said his smuggled liquor was taken and his bar tab was $800!

I don't know about you but there is no way I am spending hundreds of bucks on alcohol on a cruise. No way, no how! If I have to give up drinking, I am not paying those prices!!

wow, he must have had a hell of a good time until he saw the bill!!!

I think even the good AI's are of very good value since I have found my dream spot AI resort! Cruising is more expensive (in my case)! A Suite costs for a week the same as the AI and then around a extra of minimum a $1000 a person a week for wine and dine!

Archived