Need help deciding -- porthole vs. oceanview

izmeeh

If you are in my situation, which cabin will you choose?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If you are in my situation, which cabin will you choose?

• Porthole, forward, Empress deck --- $638 + tax for 2 people
    • Oceanview, midship, Rivera/Main deck --- $698 + tax for 2 people
    • Oceanview, midship, Upper deck --- $728 + tax for 2 people
    • Oceanview, midship, Empress deck --- $748 + tax for 2 people

I want to go on a cruise in 349 days (2/20/12).

I had an oceanview room, midship, on the Empress deck in February for $598 + tax for 2 people under the 1-2-3 Go! promotion. I liked how convenient it was to be on the Empress deck. I did hear ocasional noise, but it was mainly due to the kids running around, chasing each other. I liked the natural light and was considering the porthole to save money. However, the prices went up a little for the President's Week. (I went during the President's Week this year as well.)

Porthole, forward, Empress deck --- $638 + tax for 2 people (past guest rate)

Oceanview, midship, Main deck --- $698 + tax for 2 people (past guest rate)

Oceanview, midship, Upper deck --- $728 + tax for 2 people (past guest rate)

Oceanview, midship, Empress deck --- $748 + tax for 2 people (past guest rate)

When I tried to book the porthole, my PVP told me not to because of the noise from the anchor dropping in the morning. Also, the ship would rock a lot if there was any wind. My PVP recommended a cabin on the Empress deck, midship. This is my friend's first cruise. He is afraid of going on a cruise due to bad experiences with ships, but he is going because I wants to go really badly. I don't want him but have a bad experience and will never cruise again, but I'm not sure if it worths spending the extra money to be in the oceanview vs. the porthole on the same deck. In the roll call for 2-21-11, someone mentioned that the ship rocked quite a bit that it was hard to sleep. I wasn't sure what cabin they were in because I slept like a baby in E90.

Please advise.

I would recommend that you spend the extra $60 and get mid ship Main Deck. You don't mention which ship - but you will get the least amount of motion on the lower decks mid ship than anywhere else. We will be on the Paradise in a few weeks and we are all the way forward - just for fun!

I had an oceanview room, midship, on the Empress deck in February for $598 + tax for 2 people under the 1-2-3 Go! promotion. I liked how convenient it was to be on the Empress deck. I did hear ocasional noise, but it was mainly due to the kids running around, chasing each other. I liked the natural light and was considering the porthole to save money. However, the prices went up a little for the President's Week. (I went during the President's Week this year as well.)

When I tried to book the porthole, my PVP told me not to because of the noise from the anchor dropping in the morning. Also, the ship would rock a lot if there was any wind. My PVP recommended a cabin on the Empress deck, midship. This is my friend's first cruise. He is afraid of going on a cruise due to bad experiences with ships, but he is going because I wants to go really badly. I don't want him but have a bad experience and will never cruise again, but I'm not sure if it worths spending the extra money to be in the oceanview vs. the porthole on the same deck. In the roll call for 2-21-11, someone mentioned that the ship rocked quite a bit that it was hard to sleep. I wasn't sure what cabin they were in because I slept like a baby in E90.

Please advise.

Whether you hear the anchor is going to depend on where you are going. Are you going to a tender port? If not, then no anchor to worry about. I will say that when I was in a PT cabin I could hear the bow thrusters when we pulled in to ports in the morning. Also, I could faintly hear the sea at night, which was nice. On higher decks I didn't hear anything. Also, there was much less traffic in the hallways outside the PT cabins. I like the quiet Riviera and Main deck locations of the PT cabins. My big problem now is that after experiencing a balcony only 1 time, I am hooked on having one.

We were in E-9 & loved it! Empress deck is a great location! If you have balance issues or get seasick, I wouldn't recommend a porthole. But other than that, I think its the best of both worlds! I, too, read about noise beforehand, but never heard the anchor, or anything from the upper decks. Good luck!

Please advise.

Your PVP is correct. Consider an OV on Main or Riviera if price is an option.

I would go with your PVP! It is really not that much more for an OV, Main or Upper deck. While I really like a porthole room, if I could get an OV, for 60 bucks more, and I was not travelling alone, I would go with the OV. PVP has good points.:)

Are you worried about feeling the rocking because of your friend? I would consider an interior room then, midship and really save some money :)

I would not do interior. If seasick may be an issue I think that interior would be the worst. I am not prone to getting seasick, but one time I was on an overnight ferry in some really really rough seas. I did start to feel sick then - I was fine as soon as I could get to a window to see out. (better than outside because everybody was getting sick outside which was even worse)

I heard the anchors in the morning, but it wasn't a big deal. I wouldn't let it keep me from booking there. I do like to be mid ship. I actually like riveria the best because the next floor up is usually cabins. My room is always quite when I am on that deck.

midship lower level, sounds like a good option, but would early saver rate be less expensive?

Porthole, forward, Empress deck --- $578 + tax for 2 people (ES rate)

Oceanview, midship, Rivera desk --- $668 + tax for 2 people (ES rate)

Oceanview, midship, Main deck --- $688 + tax for 2 people (ES rate)

Oceanview, midship, Upper deck --- $728 + tax for 2 people (ES rate)

Oceanview, midship, Empress deck --- $748 + tax for 2 people (ES rate)

Thank you for all your suggestions and reasons. The ES rate is the same on the Upper and Empress. It's a little bit less expensive on the other decks. There is a possibility that we may not make it since the school schedule for next year isn't out yet.

Archived