How late to board?

keichman

We're booked on the Gem, which lists a 4:00pm departure. NCL FAQ says If you HAVEN'T done online check in in advance, arrive no less than 2 hours before departure.

We have a bus available to us that arrives at the pier at 2:00pm (exactly 2 hours before). Personally, for just a tad more money and hassle, I'd rather drive, park, and enjoy the afternoon on the ship. But if I get outvoted, how late can we arrive to the check in counters if we HAVE done the online check-in?

Thanks!

You need to arrive earlier. You should also be fill out the online forms.

Here is the official wordage:

Many cruise lines now close embarkation 90 minutes prior to the ship's published sailing time. If you arrive late, you will likely be denied boarding. This is not arbitrary - it is because US Customs and Boarder Patrol (CBP) requires a final report of passengers and crew 60 minutes prior to sailing, a report called the electronic Notice of Departure (eNOD).

The electronic Notice of Arrival/Departure (eNOA/D) is a report that each ship must submit to the US Coast Guard's National Vessel Movement Center (NVMC) to "clear" passengers and crew on outgoing vessels in US Ports (and territories).

The eNOD report contains all Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) data. APIS Data includes: Surname, First Name, Date of Birth, Document Type (Passport, etc), Document Type Number, Passport Country of Issuance, Document Expiration Date, Gender, Country of Residence, Nationality, and finally in some specific cases the temporary US Address for non-US citizens/residents.

US Customs and Border Protection (US CBP) has made a ruling effective February 19, 2008 cruise line operators must submit the eNOD 60 minutes prior to sailing time (19 CFR Parts 4 and 122 in the Federal Register), and that there will be no chance to send an amended eNOD file without resetting the 60 minute clock for departure time. (This is in addition to the existing 33 CFR 160 which requires a 24-96 hour Notice of Arrival or eNOA, effective since April 1, 2003)

On February 14, 2008 US CBP relaxed this requirement for a period of 180 days to allow for cruise operators to submit amended eNODs up to 15 minutes prior to departure time - so long as the initial report is submitted at 60 minutes prior to departure.

The 180 day grace period ends on August 17, 2008. Once the grace period is over cruise operators must submit the report 60 minutes prior to departure. So if the departure time is 5:00PM, the report must be submitted at 4:00PM. If the eNOD isn't submitted until 4:30PM, then the ship must delay departure time to 5:30PM.

As port congestion, costs (fuel, port rent, landside labor, etc), and itinerary restrictions in many cases demand complete adherence to the scheduled itinerary it will be very unlikely for a cruise operator to decide to submit the eNOD report less than 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

Many lines are utilizing new technology that will allow them to submit APIS data obtained even before the guest's arrival to the ship. The data can be collected at the time of the reservation, or even via the online check-in system.

***** highly recommends pre-registering online, if only because it may allow you to board if you arrive prior to the ship's departure but after the submission of the eNOD.

All the major lines have sent out notifications to both guests and travel professionals that all sailing passengers must be onboard 90 minutes prior to published departure time, failure to board at this time may result in denied boarding and no refund will be given. The line may allow you to board at the next port of call, but any expenses incurred are the passenger's responsibility.

I prefer the earlier the better. Arrive around 10:30, in terminal and processing by 11, usually on ship by 11:30. Then just sit back, relax, eat, drink, watch, and enjoy. Starts the vacation that much sooner. As others said, 2 pm at latest.

Not allowing time for the few remaining porters to handle your luggage or do you plan to pull/push/carry them to security and the long walks inside the terminal building, up the ramps to the gangway and boarding the ship.

Plus, each of you need to fill out a short health screening questionnaire, get your photo taken, have a credit card "registered" and linked to your Boarding Card/Room Key, and go thru security/x-ray luggage screening, etc.

Fine if that's NCL ship transfer and the bus is delayed, but otherwise, I trust you are debating the consequences and financial implications for being denied boarding .... :rolleyes:

I trust you are debating the consequences and financial implications for being denied boarding .... :rolleyes:

I hadn't yet opened up the debate, but started this thread to get my "ducks in a row" for the conversation.

Thanks for all the replies...I think I have everything I need to convince the holdouts that spending a few extra dollars and hassle by driving ourselves is well worth it!

Why can't you at least check in online ahead of time? You are cutting it too close to get there and check in at port.

We are planning to check in online. As I said in my original post, I was able to find the guidelines for boarding without online check-in (no later than 2 hours before departure), but was asking for information on guidelines for boarding with online check in.

IF the bus arrives at 2 pm, you need time to unload the luggage, to walk to the check-in counters. What if the bus hits traffic and gets delayed? Do you want to start your vacation nervously looking at your watch?

Is the bus an NCL transfer bus? If so, no problem. Our transfer bus didn't get there until life boat drill (almost 4pm for 4pm departure) because of late flights for some passengers. NCL had check-in folks wait for us and we were rushed through check-in and boarded in the middle of lifeboat drill. So, if the bus is an NCL transfer bus, there's no worry. But if it's some other shuttle bus, make sure you're aboard by at least 90 minutes before debarkation, even if you've checked in online.

Archived