Anyone ever get a spray tan? Does it rub off or make your face look blotchy?

Pomcoach

Has anyone gotten a spray tan before a cruise? I packed 4 skirts this time. I have very fair skin. I was wondering about trying a spray tan. Wish I could just tan the legs, but the lady at the tanning place said it sprays your whole body and face too. Kind of worried about the face. She said it will not last too long. I just don't want it rubbing off when I do make-up or rubbing off on my white skirt.

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience with spray tans. Right now I've just been putting on Jergen's moisturizing lotion with some tanning element in it on the legs only. I was thinking about trying the spray tan Thursday morning before sailing on Saturday. What do you all think??

Thanks so much for any help,

Pomcoach from Iowa

My 23 y/o daughter gets spray tans and they look horrible. I keep telling her not to but she keeps doing it. Her neck and chest are all blotchy like she's dirty and her feet look horrible. Don't do it!:eek:

Wow! You may have just saved my cruise! Thank you so much. I will quickly text my daughter and let her know too. She was also planning on trying a spray tan on Thurs. night. I will stick with the Jergens Natural Glow, although I swear the color seems to just wash off in the shower. Like I said, I don't care about looking tan, just wanted my legs to not look bad in the skirts. They are sporty skirts with shorts underneath. I got them at Sam's club and just love them. Only like $14 and stretchy waist and so comfortable. They are long enough for me, not like the shorty ones.

I can't thank you enough!!

Pomcoch from Iowa

There is a thread in the Cruise Fashions and Beauty Forum that discusses good self tanners:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1274588&highlight=tan

I was thinking of getting some of those TanTowels and trying them out. My problem is I have super fair skin and didn't want my face to look like Casper and the rest of me have a bit of a tan. Likewise, I didn't want to use it on my face and then my makeup not work. :/

I think I'm just going to go again as-is. If people don't want to look at my white legs they don't have to.

I've used the spray tan 3 times. I was told by my fasion guru (my DD) that I should NOT wear panyhose with a dress anymore, and definately not for her wedding. I am very fair skinned. So I did the spray tan 2 days before. It looked fabulous! There is a trick however. Moisturizing you hands and feet before you go will help. Dry skin absorbs more product. It did not rub off unevenly. Just faded. Also, you can do a clear spray that develops over several hours or one that has color right away. I always do clear. :D

I have done the spray tan a few times last year, and yes for about the first 3 days my hands and feet did not look the greatest. After then though it looks good for the next few. I think if you went once a few days before you went and not a bunch of times before you went you wont have the blotchy look. My face never looked blotchy. Hope this helps some.

I go by the rule of not experimenting with anything that can have a lasting effect on appearance shortly before a cruise. Next time you cruise, try the tanning booth spray long before the cruise to decide if you like the look.

But then again, I know my luck! lol

I've never done a spray tan, but I use the Jergens Natural Glow and have been very happy. I never put it on my face... just up to my colar bone and then kind of would blend just a tiny bit in up my neck so there wasn't a "line" of some sort. It's very subtle and develops over time after several uses. You can stop using it for a few days once you get the color you want. I would start using it every 2 - 3 days for maintaining the color I liked.

I am a tanning junkie, so let me throw in my 2 cents:

If you opt for spray tan, go to a place that offers the VersaSpa. Sun Tan City has these. Before you go, shower and use a good body wash that scrubs off the dead skin cells (Neutrogena has a bodywash to use pre-tanning that preps your skin). When you go to the tanning place, follow their directions! Use the skin lotion they supply you with to rub over feet, hands. It acts as a light barrier so you don't end up with orange hands/fingers/toes. Do NOT choose the "Bronzer" Spray Tan that automatically shows your tan. It rubs off on clothes. Get the "clear." After you get out, you won't really notice, but by the next day you will start to see a nice rich tan appearing. Also, DON'T shower for at least 6-8 hours after you get sprayed! It's gotta have time to penitrate for the best results. the only con I can think of, if you follow all the directions, is that self-tanners stink!

If you decide to just use an at home spray tan, I highly recommend Neutrogena Micro-fine mist tanning spray. Love it!!!!:)

I am pretty fair-skinned too. I don't worry about this kind of thing any more.

Instead of a spray tan, or tanning salon, what about trying the Aveeno self-tanning products (or others) which lightly colour the skin? Extra bonus: you'll be moisterizing at the same time :)

I'm really fair-skinned too, and I love the Jergens stuff.

I had a horrible experience with the tanning wipes... the color came out really blotchy. I looked like I had a disease! It was a pretty color though, but I wasn't a newbie at self-tanner so I don't think it was my fault.. maybe do a test run with these before you go :)

I've also used the Neutrogena spray mist and liked it. The Jergens is still my favorite... as someone above said, exfoliate and moisturize before using it, use it every day for 2-3 days, and don't be so fanatic about shaving your legs - that takes it right off.

I was thinking about doing the Jergens lotion for my cruise too, I have heard a lot of good things about it, but how long does it take to come off/fade?

I have a side job being "Snow White" for events where I live and so I need something that will make me tan only for a little while...her name isn't "Snow WHITE" for nothin', LOL

I have done the spray tan. it did not rub off on my cloths however, My face did not last more than a day tops, With the cleaners and such I use on the face I took it all off. Also anything that exfoliates will take off the tan. Including shaving your leggs

Maybe it's because I live in S. Florida and see all kinds of tanned bodies, but I find it very obvious when someone has a spray tan, and I don't think it looks good at all. those who get them may not think it looks blotchy, but they do, and the color is not realistic.

I too am VERY fair (all the covergirl shades are too dark for me :eek:) and the salon spray tan was HORRIBLE. I had streaks all over and it took me like 5 lemon-juice scrubs to fade them.

I tried a few OTC self-tanners after that and was surprised that all of the so-called no-streak sprays all sucked.

One that was really good though was the Loreal Luminous Bronze LOTION with glitter in it. The glitter will show you where you've already applied it - just rub it in REALLY thoroughly (wear gloves) and wash the glitter off in 4 hours when it sets. I am planning on doing this one again before my cruise - also, you CAN opt to do just your legs ;)

I too am VERY fair (all the covergirl shades are too dark for me :eek:) and the salon spray tan was HORRIBLE. I had streaks all over and it took me like 5 lemon-juice scrubs to fade them.

I tried a few OTC self-tanners after that and was surprised that all of the so-called no-streak sprays all sucked.

One that was really good though was the Loreal Luminous Bronze LOTION with glitter in it. The glitter will show you where you've already applied it - just rub it in REALLY thoroughly (wear gloves) and wash the glitter off in 4 hours when it sets. I am planning on doing this one again before my cruise - also, you CAN opt to do just your legs ;)

Hi Jaded! That Loreal Luminous Bronze lotion sounds really good. Do you remember where you bought it?

Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!! I've decided to NOT do the spray tan for sure. My daughter who lives in Florida still wants to try it, even though I warned her about the many "no" replies on here. We shall see how it goes.

Happy cruising everybody!

Pomcoach

I got those same skirts at Sam's, one black and one white. Aren't they cute?! And the price was great.

Hi Doctordi,

I love the Sam's Club skirts too. I bought the Navy, the dark brown, and 2 white ones. I took 1 of the white ones and dyed it in tea. It turned out a beautiful tan color. It was a bit risky, dying it, but what the heck. It was only about a $14 investment. (If you try dying anything in tea, wet it and squeeze it out first, so the garment is totally wet. You don't want any air bubbles and keep moving the garment around in the bucket until you get the desired color. The longer it stays in the tea, the darker it will go. I also bought all the skirts a size larger than I normally wear. They seemed to shrink about 1/2 a size in the dryer. Have fun wearing your skirts. I will be sailing this Saturday and plan to wear the tan skirt in the "Embarkation" photo.

Thanks for all the help everyone! You are all "THE BEST!"

Pomcoach

Okay..instead of the spray tans where you stand in front of a nozzle & it sprays you, then you turn around & it sprays your other side (I'm thinking of that episode of Friends, where Ross tries it!!) lol... I've tried the airbrush spray tan, where a PERSON actually airbrushes your tan on. I did it for a wedding I was in..and it looked awesome! You can pick how dark you want to be, and the person sprays it on very evenly. (hair salons or spas do it usually) The dark color lasted 4 or 5 days & looked really natural! I loved it! :)

Okay..instead of the spray tans where you stand in front of a nozzle & it sprays you, then you turn around & it sprays your other side (I'm thinking of that episode of Friends, where Ross tries it!!) lol... I've tried the airbrush spray tan, where a PERSON actually airbrushes your tan on. I did it for a wedding I was in..and it looked awesome! You can pick how dark you want to be, and the person sprays it on very evenly. (hair salons or spas do it usually) The dark color lasted 4 or 5 days & looked really natural! I loved it! :)

THIS. I was just about to suggest the same thing. I've done spray tans in the stand-up booths, and they've turned out horribly.

But the last time I did a spray tan, I did the airbrush kind and it turned out amazingly well. No streaks, and the color was very natural-looking. Not orange!

Just Google "airbrush tan" in your city, and you should be able to find a salon nearby that does it. :)

Archived