Virgin Gorda and The Baths

msn123

On the Marina next week. We stop in Tortola one day and there is another day just listed as Virgin Gorda. Anyone know where the Marina will be docking that day and is there an easy way to get to the Baths?

we had to tender..that was about 3 years ago so not sure of current situation...we took one of the local buses straight to the baths...we didn't end up going through the rocks as it was very narrow...but a nice beach and the rock formations were impressive!! LuAnn

The easiest way to do the Baths is on the Virgin Gorda day. The ground transportation to the Baths is perhaps fifty yards from the Virgin Gorda tender area and only a few dollars each way.

In Tortola, you will be docked. You can do the Baths on the Tortola day as well but things get a little more complex given that the Baths are located in Virgin Gorda.

The last time we were in Virgin Gorda, in January 2010, we did an island overview tour that made it's last stop at the Baths. We were offered the opportunity to end the tour there and go down to the beach, and then take local transportation back to the ship. That's what we elected to do, although we were the only ones in the tour group who did so (maybe the rest had not worn their bathing suits under their clothing).

The tour stopped at the top of the hill overlooking the beach where there are wonderful views and a small restaurant/souvenir shop.

P1000190.JPG

The only way to the beach is to walk down a somewhat rugged path. Once there, you find they are unique to any beach you have seen, and worth the trouble to get there.

P1000173.JPG

P1000178.JPG

However, when I was in Virgin Gorda in 2006, it was just a short time after I had some health problems and I decided not to climb down to the beach. By 2010 I was physically able to do so, but after doing it, I realized that I had made the correct decision to skip it on the previous trip.

When we were ready to back to town, we climbed back up the trail and found several local "taxis" in the parking lot. They consist of small, Japanese pickup trucks with bench seats in the bed and a surrey top. While not the most sophisticated transportation, they are cheap, quick and not overly uncomfortable. I think it was $3 a person to go back to town.

I would do it again, especially if I had more time to explore, and definitely if I was more agile.

I just came off of Regatta yesterday, and we stopped at Virgin Gorda last week. You WILL have to tender, even if O is telling you there is a dock. There is not. Get off the tender, look for the open air buses, pay $4 bus fare, $3 to get into the national park of The Baths, and walk down the hill. Try to get there as early as possible, before the people who come over on ferries from Tortola arrive at 11:00. We were walking amongst the boulders by 9:30 and had the place to ourselves for about an hour before the hordes arrived.

I just came off of Regatta yesterday, and we stopped at Virgin Gorda last week. You WILL have to tender, even if O is telling you there is a dock. There is not. .
We agree, see our previous posting, #4 of this thread.

Though the Baths are spectacular, Devils Bay is even more impressive. Take a left from the Baths. You will have a 10 - 15 min walk through caves & pools, which have ropes to help you negotiate the passage through. It is signposted. When you come out the other end the beach, rock formations & crytstal clear waters are quite stunning. Note the waters are a lot calmer here than at the Baths

On the Marina next week. We stop in Tortola one day and there is another day just listed as Virgin Gorda. Anyone know where the Marina will be docking that day and is there an easy way to get to the Baths?

Don't 4get to sign up on roll call list ..there are about 50 of us meeting on ST. Pattys day!:D

Archived