Freestyle cruising - options and thoughts??

SpennyRicky

Hi all, this is probably something that has been discussed in great detail before, so apologies for raising it again, but here goes:)

I have cruised on Ocean Village over the past two years, and thoroughly enjoyed the casual approach to dining in the restaurants ( as well as the whole cruising experience). I appreciate that lots of people enjoy the more formal approach to dining, but as a single traveller, and a suit and tie wearer at work, I like to take things a little differently when on holiday.

With the demise of OV, which cruise lines/ships would you cruisers recommend, as I would still like to continue cruising. I prefer the Med as my destination, but any other options would be welcomed.

Thanks very much boys and girls, I know I can rely on you, and hopefully sort out the next trip

Eric

Hi all, this is probably something that has been discussed in great detail before, so apologies for raising it again, but here goes:)

I have cruised on Ocean Village over the past two years, and thoroughly enjoyed the casual approach to dining in the restaurants ( as well as the whole cruising experience). I appreciate that lots of people enjoy the more formal approach to dining, but as a single traveller, and a suit and tie wearer at work, I like to take things a little differently when on holiday.

With the demise of OV, which cruise lines/ships would you cruisers recommend, as I would still like to continue cruising. I prefer the Med as my destination, but any other options would be welcomed.

Thanks very much boys and girls, I know I can rely on you, and hopefully sort out the next trip

Eric

Sounds to me like you are describing NCL. 100% Freestyle (no set dining times or table) and 100% casual (all formal nights are optional).

Hi, SR....we've been twice with NCL, and really enjoyed the freestyle concept.

But....if you've not been on an American line before, be very aware about the additions before you book; the $12 per person per day gratuities; the 15% addition on bar sales, from canned pop, cigs and alcohol, to the extra expensive Bingo and other activities which may have been cheaper, or even free, on OV. The original price may be very reasonable, so that makes up for it. We would count all these things up before we booked, and were aware that the extra restaurants carry a fee....and very good they are, too!

If you're aware, then NCL is a fun line to be on.

P&O's Ventura doesn't have a hard line on dressing up now on formal nights....you just choose to eat in the buffet or somewhere like Ramblas instead of the MDRoom. They're trying to run it more for ex OVers.

Jo.

NCL Epic from Barcelona.

have solo cabin rates

Good range of entertainment and dining

Good comedy and Jazz.

Table sharing for dinner in the alternatives is not always possible if you want it .

BTW many lines can be done smart casual, RCI OK, Celebrity can get fussy in the dining room formal night.

many lines now have flexable dining options.

We did NCL round Hawaii and to be honest we won't be doing NCL again if there is a choice of another cruise line for the itinerary we want.

Freestyle meant long waits (50 mins on 2 nights just to get a seat at a table (any table) for the 2 of us), one night they cleared the table and forgot to serve dessert, the food was mediocre (often cold) and the only time we had a nice meal was in the restaurants where you pay a subsidy.

Maybe NCL elsewhere is different - all the crew on NCL around Hawaii are American.

recently cruised NCL Jade for first time for ,free style, great ship music everywhere , lovely lounges. assortment of dress styles at dinner .but better than I anticipated ,

my only complaint , food average ,never served hot no matter where we dined

as we ate early 6pm t0 6 30 never has a problem seating avoid 8,30pm

As well as NCL, I believe that Regent Seven Seas have discontinued compulsory formal nights. They have what they call Optional Formal, on which those who wish to adopt formal dress are invited to do so, for those who do not smart casual is fine.

Also, Star Clippers do not have formal nights.

Archived