Holland America or Princess for a Panama Canal

jacktssr

Have wanted to go on a cruise through the Panama Canal and am ready to do this October. Which line should I use. Which has the best service, cabins,etc. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

you do realize you are asking this on the HAL board? so some answers might be a bit biased ;) We did the partial (10 day) on the Zuiderdam and really enjoyed it (HAL). We have sailed Princess and for us, HAL is our cruise line of choice.

cabins on HAL are a very nice size. HAL tends to have more interesting itineraries IMO.

what is important to you though? Entertainment? Food? Relaxing atmosphere? Busy days with lots of activities?

Tell us your priorities and we can definitely give advice.

Princess is better for some things like entertainment and daily activities (if you want a lot) and HAL is better at a lot of other things.

So, it really depends upon what makes a cruise enjoyable for YOU.:)

Both cruiselines have good and bad things. You can't go wrong with either IMO. I think the food is better on Princess, the rooms are better on Hal. Princess ships always seem to be crowded IMO. You need to be more self entertaining on HAL because there are less activities. That works for me but it might not for others.

What ships/itineraries are you looking at? I always look at the itinerary first and pick based on what ports that I want to see the most. If itineraries are identical or close, then I look at the ship and amenities.

We took a 28 day Panama Cruise this past October on HAL, MS Statendam. It was absolutely wonderful and, most importantly, not crowded at all. Well, the bow was a bit crowded at first, but no problem viewing the magnificent locks. After the first set of locks, the bow became less busy for the rest of the transit. The port and starboard railings were absolutely clear of crowds throughout. We completely enjoyed the entire voyage and were quite satisfied with everything onboard...great food, great service, excellent decor, and great staff!

As someone already said food is subjective. I'm a vegetarian and I found much more variety on the Zuiderdam than on the Island Princess.

On the other hand Princess has a buffet going 24 hours and I understand that the Zuiderdam now shuts down at 8pm - though 2 years ago we could go up there later in the evening and get something to eat. Based on that criteria alone my husband would choose Princess.

I found the entertainment and activities better on Princess.

Either line you won't be disappointed.

you do realize you are asking this on the HAL board? so some answers might be a bit biased ;) We did the partial (10 day) on the Zuiderdam and really enjoyed it (HAL). We have sailed Princess and for us, HAL is our cruise line of choice.

cabins on HAL are a very nice size. HAL tends to have more interesting itineraries IMO.

what is important to you though? Entertainment? Food? Relaxing atmosphere? Busy days with lots of activities?

Tell us your priorities and we can definitely give advice.

Princess is better for some things like entertainment and daily activities (if you want a lot) and HAL is better at a lot of other things.

So, it really depends upon what makes a cruise enjoyable for YOU.:)

Thanks so much for your help. We would like the following priorities on our cruise: A stateroom and balcony with space to move around in and beds to get a good nights sleep; Good food wherever we eat; A relaxing cruise; and last great service from all staff. A cruise with comfort and we are a couple that can self entertain

Thanks so much for your help. We would like the following priorities on our cruise: A stateroom and balcony with space to move around in and beds to get a good nights sleep; Good food wherever we eat; A relaxing cruise; and last great service from all staff. A cruise with comfort and we are a couple that can self entertain

I'd go HAL in that case unless it's the Statendam. This is my opinion only so no need for other posters to beat on me for it.

With the priorities that you are talking about it - no question I would do HAL

If you can self entertain (as we can - who can't ) then HAL is definitely the answer for this cruise - I'd check out either the partial transatlantic on the Zuiderderdam (did it - loved it - they opened up all the decks as we approached)

or the full transits whatever you prefer.

And do not forget HAL's panama rolls as you enter the canal. doesn't matter where you are - they find you - with them - water and other stuff.

have a great cruise whatever you choose and please come back and share where you are going and review later. you can't go wrong doing the Panama:)

With the priorities that you are talking about it - no question I would do HAL

If you can self entertain (as we can - who can't ) then HAL is definitely the answer for this cruise - I'd check out either the partial transatlantic on the Zuiderderdam (did it - loved it - they opened up all the decks as we approached)

or the full transits whatever you prefer.

And do not forget HAL's panama rolls as you enter the canal. doesn't matter where you are - they find you - with them - water and other stuff.

have a great cruise whatever you choose and please come back and share where you are going and review later. you can't go wrong doing the Panama:)

Thanks again for your suggestions. We are leaning towards HAL and will let you know what and when we book.

We've gone through the Canal 6 times now, on both HAL and Princess. All subjective things being essentially the same, we prefer going through with HAL because they open up the foredeck for viewing, serve hot coffee, juice and Panama rolls and generally make it a festive occasion.

Archived