18 days until we leave for Tahiti, any last minute packing etc. advice?

kclav

:confused:OK, we are in countdown mode, I have hair apt., mail held, paper stopped, the first of the packing started but since I have never been to this part of the world I am nervous that we might be forgetting something important (other than passports, Off spray, sea sickness pills, and sunscreen) Send me a list if you can think of anything that a novice cruiser might forget. Thanks! KCLAV Sailing 4/2/11:)

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the five finger shoes (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm)

They are so comforable, but a bit more expensive than other water shoes. But have the feel of walking barefoot without the worries of stepping on something and hurting yourself. Might want to consider. I am bringing mine on my August 10th PG cruise.

Thinking of things I'm glad I did and things I wish I did:

Water shoes for sure if you go in the ocean at all and you should, contact your credit card companies to let them know when and where you will be (so they don't think the card has been stolen, try to contact you at home and you don't respond), for us it helped to have some cpf (sometimes called xpf). You spend the days in bathing suits, the evenings in casual "country club" clothes. I found I didn't need as many shorts and t-shirts as I thought although I am glad I had some for days when we toured. Excercise clothes if you want to use the gym. A surprising number of people did. 2 of us went through almost 2 bottles of sunscreen. Didn't need as many shoes (tennis shoes if you do a hike, water shoes, beach sandals and evening sandals). You don't need to bring shampoo, conditioner, cotton swabs, cotton pads, nail file or sewing kit - those are in your stateroom. Glad we had earplugs just because it helped with sounds like boats being lowered, people in halls, etc. I brought a big wide hat and a baseball hat and wound up liking the baseball hat best.

The air conditioning runs full blast in the evenings. If you are wearing bare tropical dresses for dinner, pick up a linen scarf/shawl to have to put over your shoulders in the drafty restaurants. If you are sun burned, you will really feel the a/c!

Have a great time..... We are going to sail from Brisbane to Papeete, 17 day cruise, in January of 2012. Did it in 2010 and am so happy that they have decided to do it again! Was Regent then, hope it's improved now! That's what I'm hearing!!!:D

How important is it to have a couple long t-shirts for snorkeling? I've seen one post but that is all. I'll have to go to Goodwill if we do! I have lots of yucky short sleeved T's

How important is it to have a couple long t-shirts for snorkeling? I've seen one post but that is all. I'll have to go to Goodwill if we do! I have lots of yucky short sleeved T's

Rash Guards are better (or a t-shirt treated with RIT UV treatment). You will spend a LOT of time in the sun!:o

I've always just used a short-sleeved t-shirt. I find a tight one works best, not a loose one.

If you have time to treat it with RIT Sunguard, great, but otherwise the t-shirt is better than nothing. Yes, a rash guard is good too, if you have time. I saw one advertised in a Land's End catalog the other day.

Called all over today to get the Rit Sunguard and no go! Not a hot item here in northern Indiana, I guess. It's still freezing here! Snow tonight! Called all fabric stores too! Don't have time to order on line. Will use what I have and lather up!!!

Called all over today to get the Rit Sunguard and no go! Not a hot item here in northern Indiana, I guess. It's still freezing here! Snow tonight! Called all fabric stores too! Don't have time to order on line. Will use what I have and lather up!!!
Gerena, another option is a long-sleeve T with a high % of lycra or spandex. Buy it in a size smaller than your usual so it fits snug. I find it almost as good as a rash guard for a lot less $$.

Mighty why a tight tee shirt? I bought a couple with the UV protection but actually like them nice and loose rather than fitting. Does tight fitting actually help with the protection.

I havent had a burn since I got these shirts - I still lather myself with strong sun screen under as well.

Mighty why a tight tee shirt? I bought a couple with the UV protection but actually like them nice and loose rather than fitting. Does tight fitting actually help with the protection.
Emdee, I’ve tried it both ways and I much prefer a lycra form-fitting long-sleeve T. I find that a regular-fit T balloons up in the water, making it more difficult to swim forward or deeper. A tighter T mimics a rash guard and acts like a protective skin. I don’t wear it so tight to be uncomfortable - just enough to be streamlined. I also have never treated my T with RIT Sunguard, but I like the idea since I'm fair and burn very easily,

Mighty

OK . I dont think its an issue with me as I dont know how to swim - just sit in the water.

Also since the shirts have the UV protection I have never treated them.

I bought a can of the stuff this year and wonder if I should re treat them? Got it from Mountain Equipment in Toronto. I did buy a new shirt as well as the old ones were getting well used.

Archived