5% discount for past passengers?

SALAD MUNCHER

Just booked a voyage on line with Cunard. Whilst doing so I signed in for 'personalised' fare as a Gold member and assumed I had received my 5% discount. However I have seen the same fare advertised on other TA websites, so I went back on Cunard and made a dummy booking as a 'non past passenger'. Low and behold the fare was the same! Have they now stopped giving this discount or have they brought in some new terms & conditions which might allow them not to give it?

Phoned Cunard this morning. I was told that the deal was so low that the 5% was not applicable to this deal. I said I just booked a voyage on the Cunard website where there is no mention of any deals - just advertised fares. The guy continued to say that world club discounts do not apply to all fares, particularly low ones. I told him there was no mention of this when I booked - I thought I was booking a normal voyage. He said he could apply the 5% discount if I agreed to pay full brochure price but then my fare would go up! Looking at a pdf they sent me AFTER I booked apparently this booking was a Spring Getaway Promotion. The only terms and conditions stated seem to be I had to pay in full when booking and cancellation charges are 100% from time of booking - no mention of no 5% past passenger discount. I went back to cunard website and did a search for 'Spring Getaway Promotion' - nothing was found!! Does anyone know anything more about this? Any advice on my next course of action would be appreciated. Thanks :mad:#

PS just found this on the Cunard website re World Club:

Guests who have completed one voyage with Cunard will enjoy the following benefits:1

• World Club Member Savings of up to 5% off our Early Booking Savings on all voyages2

• Notification of exclusive Cunard World Club special offers

• Dedicated shoreside Cunard World Club Desk

• On board Cunard World Club Representatives

The Cunarder - keep in touch with the latest offers and news from Cunard

• Exclusive Cunard World Club section online

1. To receive the benefits, Guests must have completed the necessary voyages and/or days on board prior to the voyage starting. There will be no mid-voyage promotions.

2. You must be a member of the Cunard World Club at the time of booking to receive the Cunard World Club Member Saving.

Phoned Cunard this morning. I was told that the deal was so low that the 5% was not applicable to this deal. I said I just booked a voyage on the Cunard website where there is no mention of any deals - just advertised fares. The guy continued to say that world club discounts do not apply to all fares, particularly low ones. I told him there was no mention of this when I booked - I thought I was booking a normal voyage. He said he could apply the 5% discount if I agreed to pay full brochure price but then my fare would go up! Looking at a pdf they sent me AFTER I booked apparently this booking was a Spring Getaway Promotion. The only terms and conditions stated seem to be I had to pay in full when booking and cancellation charges are 100% from time of booking - no mention of no 5% past passenger discount. I went back to cunard website and did a search for 'Spring Getaway Promotion' - nothing was found!! Does anyone know anything more about this? Any advice on my next course of action would be appreciated. Thanks :mad:#

This sounds correct. I've just been speaking to my TA about a late offer price on another cruise and he said that you don't get the 5% past passenger discount because the fare is already heavily reduced.

This sounds correct. I've just been speaking to my TA about a late offer price on another cruise and he said that you don't get the 5% past passenger discount because the fare is already heavily reduced.

Hi Ray - I have gone through the terms & conditions of Cunard both on their website and in their brochure - this condition is not mentioned - surely if they discount a fare they should state no past passenger discount is applicable prior to accepting a booking or at least state the fact on their website for passenger clarity! Think I'm goiong to write to Cunard to find out what they have to say. Will post back if I get a reply (don't hold your breath!) Cheers, sue

Maybe I am missing something, but I read "World Club Member Savings of up to 5% off our Early Booking Savings" as clearly saying that the discount is a variable percentage in the range 0% to 5% "up to 5%", also that the discount (whatever percentage) applies to "Early Booking Savings".

Simply put, the discount is discretionary.

I agree that the "spring getaway promotion" is not exactly signposted on the Cunard website, but when I made my last online (direct with Cunard) booking, the terms did clearly state that the booking was part of "spring getaway promotion" and listed the terms and conditions which applied. It was clear that this was not an "Early Booking Saving".

I tend to think that Cunard are being fair and open about the application of this discount.

I've just booked a 2012 and got the same thing-no discount as it's so cheap. Obviously not quite the words used but a quick skip around other sites for prices made me forget any idea of a discount...I'd have to pay a lot more!

I've just booked a 2012 and got the same thing-no discount as it's so cheap. Obviously not quite the words used but a quick skip around other sites for prices made me forget any idea of a discount...I'd have to pay a lot more!

I have ust pre registered three for 2012 and I have the fare less the 10% saving for early booking and I have had the WC 5% taken off as well, I suggest you check out a few other places before parting with money, I hope it works for you

I did send an email to Cunard regarding omitting the past passenger discount - this was their reply:

"When booking on-line our system will automatically look for the best fare for you. Normally, this would involve the brochure fare, less the current saving plus a 5% past guest saving however, in this instance, the flat rate fare is better than the brochure fare less your 5% World Club saving.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon".

Any comments?

I did send an email to Cunard regarding omitting the past passenger discount - this was their reply:

"When booking on-line our system will automatically look for the best fare for you. Normally, this would involve the brochure fare, less the current saving plus a 5% past guest saving however, in this instance, the flat rate fare is better than the brochure fare less your 5% World Club saving.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon".

Any comments?

That's exactly what you have been told by those in the know above. And sounds fair enough to me.

WD

Any comments?

Before you book , shop around:)

Any comments?

Was the "spring getaway promotion" a past passenger thing? I just booked a 25% off early booking fare for QM2 with a promo code that was only for World Club members. I looked at it as getting my 5% discount plus a nice bonus. Maybe that's how they are looking at this discount.

It's not unusual to find that all benefits aren't available with saver fares. You may find that shareholder benefit isn't available either. As a single traveller, I've often found it better to take the brochure price than a sale one as the sale prices often have a single supplement of 100%.

Another company that I use has a 5% discount for previous passengers, but they are quite open in saying that the discount may not be available if the price has been discounted.

Archived