port info Shanghai

hlzmd

Assuming the situation in Japan remains stable, we leave Friday for Shanghai and the Ocean Princess embarkation. Has anyone done any of the excursion offerings for Shanghai to give us direction. Or should I just bag the Princess options and explore city on my own. Wasn't sure if you could walk from the port to a subway stop. Also we get in the day before and are staying at the Longemont (Princess accomodation with transfer) Has anyone been able to get a later day transfer to the ship leaving bags at hotel after checkout so you can get more city time before boarding? Note: they canceled Korea stop so we have an extra day in Shanghai. Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you are looking for non-Princess tours and similar info, the best place is the Roll Call section of these boards. There you will meet others sailing with you. Some may be planning private tours and be looking for people to join them. To join, Click Boards at the top of this page, Scroll down to Roll Calls, click on your cruise line, Click on your ship. Find the thread for your sailing.

thanks Paul... I was more looking for where, of the many possible places to try and squeeze in to such a short visit, one would recommend going and how to get as many of the sites seen as possible. My husband and I like to take public transportation and interact with the locals (even if we don't speak the language) when we get off ships...I just can't figure out where the Ocean Princess is docking relative to the city. And I will try the roll call you recommended.

thanks Paul... I was more looking for where, of the many possible places to try and squeeze in to such a short visit, one would recommend going and how to get as many of the sites seen as possible. My husband and I like to take public transportation and interact with the locals (even if we don't speak the language) when we get off ships...I just can't figure out where the Ocean Princess is docking relative to the city. And I will try the roll call you recommended.

Also, look at the Ports of Call Board. Safe Travels!:)

The smaller ships, will dock almost in the middle of town. You can get a low cost taxi just outside the docking area. We were on a RC ship and truly loved the over night in Shanghai.

Assuming the situation in Japan remains stable, we leave Friday for Shanghai and the Ocean Princess embarkation. Has anyone done any of the excursion offerings for Shanghai to give us direction. Or should I just bag the Princess options and explore city on my own. Wasn't sure if you could walk from the port to a subway stop. Also we get in the day before and are staying at the Longemont (Princess accomodation with transfer) Has anyone been able to get a later day transfer to the ship leaving bags at hotel after checkout so you can get more city time before boarding? Note: they canceled Korea stop so we have an extra day in Shanghai. Thanks

We docked overnight in Shanghai on Azamara's Quest a couple of years ago. We were docked in just about the exact place as the Ocean Princess.

On one day we caught a taxi from the ship but ended up walking back from Nanking Street as it isn't a huge walk. We also went on a private tour which was excellent. We have been on the very fast train to and from the airport and we have used the Underground. Shanghai is a wonderful city with lots to do. The old China town is incredible and there is a huge shopping centre where you can buy all sorts of "knock offs".

We returned to Shanghai after our cruise for a few days and explored more of the city. You can certainly do Shanghai on your own. It reminds me a lot of Hong Kong and we found it to be very safe.

Jennie

Assuming the situation in Japan remains stable, we leave Friday for Shanghai and the Ocean Princess embarkation.

Note: they canceled Korea stop so we have an extra day in Shanghai. Thanks

Pictures below of Ocean Princess docked in Shanghai

(Why did they cancel Korea stop?)

1614540612_m100_0674OrientalPearlTVtower.jpg.354105c93a23a85bfdbfb482664330ff.jpg

1255904253_a100_0675OceanPrincessonHuangpuRiverinShanghai.jpg.f37bd61abc3bd4672e53fb795c0830bf.jpg

Archived