Coral Princess 10-day Panama Cruise from Acapulco

dinoman

Dear all fellow CC members,

I'm seriously thinking about booking this tour but before I commit anything I must figure out the flight plan pre- and post-cruise. I live in HK so I guess the quickest way to and from Acapulco (pre-cruise) and Fort Launderdale (post-cruise) back home would be via a US city. Which city would be the most convenient transfer point (i.e. minimum connection) for these two locations?

Thanks in advance! :o

you will probably end your cruise in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. We did the Island from Ft. Lauderdale and ended in Acapulco. I think you will really enjoy the trip.... I have seen where Princess leaves from LA and ends in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale or Miami) LA may be a closer trip for you? Just a thought.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

All the best,

Gabrielle

I'm a bit confused by your question since, in all my air travel, I've never planned out my trip by what city I'd be connecting through. It all depends on what airline you select and I would presume you'd go by price and/or frequent flyer status to determine that. But say, for example, you choose Continental: from FLL, you'd probably connect through their hub in Newark since they have nonstop service between HKG and EWR, but to Acapulco, you'd be most likely routed via San Francisco on their United codeshare service since CO doesn't have a hub on the west coast.

It's all going to depend on the airline you choose and what alliances they have..

If all else was equal, I'd probably say transfer via SFO on the west coast and Philly on the east, but that would involve different airlines (although the two I have in mind are codeshare partners - United and US Airways.) But there are literally thousands of options

Dear all fellow CC members,

I'm seriously thinking about booking this tour but before I commit anything I must figure out the flight plan pre- and post-cruise. I live in HK so I guess the quickest way to and from Acapulco (pre-cruise) and Fort Launderdale (post-cruise) back home would be via a US city. Which city would be the most convenient transfer point (i.e. minimum connection) for these two locations?

Thanks in advance! :o

We are doing this trip April 24. I would imagine this is the trip you are interested in because it's the last one Princess is offering. We are flying through Houston. (From Cleveland). Houston has a direct flight to Acapulco. The only downside is there is only ONE flight a day. Flying in day before "just in case".

We are doing this trip April 24. I would imagine this is the trip you are interested in because it's the last one Princess is offering. We are flying through Houston. (From Cleveland). Houston has a direct flight to Acapulco. The only downside is there is only ONE flight a day. Flying in day before "just in case".

Yup, we're on the same cruise. We're flying Boston to Houston and Houston to Acapulco (on Continental). Really looking forward to this cruise!!!

I'm a bit confused by your question since, in all my air travel, I've never planned out my trip by what city I'd be connecting through. It all depends on what airline you select and I would presume you'd go by price and/or frequent flyer status to determine that. But say, for example, you choose Continental: from FLL, you'd probably connect through their hub in Newark since they have nonstop service between HKG and EWR, but to Acapulco, you'd be most likely routed via San Francisco on their United codeshare service since CO doesn't have a hub on the west coast.

I can understand this is not usually the way you plan your flight but since I am flying across a big ocean I might have to take 2 stops before getting to the US city for connecting another flight to Mexico (which could also involve another stopover too). Another thing is I want to cut down the accommodation costs and time because I might need to stay overnight if the flight times are not perfectly matched, or be home 2 days after stepping on the plane due to time differences, not to mention jetlag and fatigue!

Yes, this is the cruise I want to do. As you said, April 24 is the last one Princess is offering this year (so far) and I couldn't fix the dates in my schedule so I have no choice but to drop it. This is the shortest Panama full-transit cruise I can find and I do hope they will offer again later this year or early next year.

Thanks to all fellow CC members for your valuable information and advices. ;)

In that case, have the travel agent who books your cruise arrange your flights. Via their GDS they can come up with every possible combination that can be considered and you can sort out the options.

There's no way that we can give you all the possibilities via a bulletin board. That said, as long as the price fits your budget there is no reason you can't get a direct flight from HK to the US (there are over 40 today alone).

Using just some general routing tables, and assuming a 4/22 departure you have up to 544 round trip options, starting at $2K per person (coach). Most of the itineraries will be 3 stops in one direction, 2 in the other (personally I would go with 2 outbound, 3 on the way back(

For $2400, this is the only 2 stop each way I have found. Note the layover in Chicago each way, that would be a hotel stop.

As a side note, if you can find a 14 day transit to SF/LA or do a round trip out of FL your flight options get a lot better. Your agent should be telling you this. Princess as of now is not offering the 10 day transit in 2011-2012, we wanted to do that in October and ended up on a Partial on the Island.

United

Flight 896 Departs: 11:50a

Hong Kong Intl (HKG) Arrives: 1:18p

O'Hare Inter*national (ORD) Coach | Fare code: LLHSB | Boeing 747-400 (Wide-body Jet) | 14h 28m | 7778 miles | 9+ seats remain Layover in Chicago, IL (ORD) for 17h 27m United

Flight 4026

Operated by Continental Departs: 6:45a

O'Hare Inter*national (ORD) Arrives: 9:20a

George Bush Intcntl (IAH) 1st | Fare code: D1 | Boeing 737-800 (Narrow-body Jet) | 2h 35m | 926 miles | 9+ seats remain Layover in Houston, TX (IAH) for 2h 25m United

Flight 3969

Operated by Continental Departs: 11:45a

George Bush Intcntl (IAH) Arrives: 2:20p

Alvarez Intl (ACA) 1st | Fare code: D1 | Boeing 737-800 (Narrow-body Jet) | 2h 35m | 955 miles | 3 seats remain

Return – Wed Apr 27 2011 This flight leaves on Wednesday and arrives on Friday. United

Flight 4601

Operated by Expressjet A/L DBA CO Express a-fq-icon-bubble-codeshare.gif Departs: 3:12p

Alvarez Intl (ACA) Arrives: 5:45p

George Bush Intcntl (IAH) Coach | Fare code: HA0MNN | Embraer RJ135 / RJ140 / RJ145 (Regional Jet) | 2h 33m | 955 miles | 1 seats remain Layover in Houston, TX (IAH) for 3h 25m United

Flight 3758

Operated by Continental Departs: 9:10p

George Bush Intcntl (IAH) Arrives: 11:48p

O'Hare Inter*national (ORD) Coach | Fare code: HA0MNN | Boeing 737-800 (Narrow-body Jet) | 2h 38m | 926 miles | 7 seats remain Layover in Chicago, IL (ORD) for 13h 02m a-fq-icon-bubble-time.gif United

Flight 895 Departs: 12:50p

O'Hare Inter*national (ORD) Arrives: 5:10p

Hong Kong Intl (HKG) Coach | Fare code: LLHSB | Boeing 747-400 (Wide-body Jet) | 15h 20m | 7778 miles | 9+ seats remain

I can understand this is not usually the way you plan your flight but since I am flying across a big ocean I might have to take 2 stops before getting to the US city for connecting another flight to Mexico (which could also involve another stopover too). Another thing is I want to cut down the accommodation costs and time because I might need to stay overnight if the flight times are not perfectly matched, or be home 2 days after stepping on the plane due to time differences, not to mention jetlag and fatigue!

Yes, this is the cruise I want to do. As you said, April 24 is the last one Princess is offering this year (so far) and I couldn't fix the dates in my schedule so I have no choice but to drop it. This is the shortest Panama full-transit cruise I can find and I do hope they will offer again later this year or early next year.

Yup, we're on the same cruise. We're flying Boston to Houston and Houston to Acapulco (on Continental). Really looking forward to this cruise!!!

We're flying out on the 23rd just to be safe... If you're leaving the 23rd we're probably on the same flight. There is only ONE flight a day (there was 2 flights when I booked it but Continental cancelled the earlier one) Then we're staying at Grand Hotel Acapulco. I booked it along with transfers because of the safety issues in Acapulco. We are soooo looking forward to this cruise! 5 weeks and 5 days Yay!

We are taking this cruise because it is a full transit in only 10 days. (I cannot take 14 days off work) Unfortunately Princess is NOT offering it after this cruise for the fall or next year that I can see. It may have something to do with the safety issues in Acapulco. Hope you will be able to join us we have a great group going!

We're flying out on the 23rd just to be safe... If you're leaving the 23rd we're probably on the same flight. There is only ONE flight a day (there was 2 flights when I booked it but Continental cancelled the earlier one) Then we're staying at Grand Hotel Acapulco. I booked it along with transfers because of the safety issues in Acapulco. We are soooo looking forward to this cruise! 5 weeks and 5 days Yay!

Aw, sounds like we'll miss you on the flight down, but will be seeing you on board no doubt. We're flying down the 22nd as we're hoping to be able to spend the 23rd with friends who live outside Acapulco (friends we know through Princess, in fact.)

;)

Aw, sounds like we'll miss you on the flight down, but will be seeing you on board no doubt. We're flying down the 22nd as we're hoping to be able to spend the 23rd with friends who live outside Acapulco (friends we know through Princess, in fact.)

Enjoy Acapulco.. how fun! See you onboard!

We are flying from Australia using Star Alliance airlines that has us on SQ/OZ/US connecting through SIN, ICN, LAX and PHX into MEX. This is a FF award ticket in J class. We are leaving several days early to provide a buffer against any delays and have a chance to see the pyramids in Teotihuacan before taking a bus from MEX to ACA. The buses are comfortable and don't take that much longer considering you go from city centre to city centre and don't have to show up early for security.

If you are in Star Alliance, you should use OZ to go HKG-LAX-ACA or MEX on either US or CO. If you are in OneWorld, use CX to go HKG-LAX, then AA to Mexico.

I hope you join this cruise, I'm on it and it's going to awesome! Sadly, its the last 10 day cruise on this itinerary.

Wow, Loonbeam, your flight plan is much, much detailed than the one my TA gave me. They simply told me "there is no flight to Acapulco on the day of your cruise"! :(

Lvs2Cruise2, I really wish I could be on that cruise, as you said, I just cannot take a vacation long enough for a 14-day cruise, and your reason is also my reason why I chose this one at first. Sadly Princess is not offering any 10-day full-transit cruise at the moment, but hey, hope for the best, maybe they shift the embarkation port to a more easily accessible and safe place next year! :p

Dallas and Houston have direct flights to ACU.

We did this cruise last year and loved it.

KEVIN!!! Love the photo w/ Centennial bridge in the background. Hope you guys are doing well.

We were on the cruise with Kevin last year (in fact almost exactly a year ago) and thought it was great. Great ship, ports, just lots of fun! This is a must-do-at-least-once type of cruise.

ENJOY!

I didn't even use a GDS. Just ran it through Kayak.com.

Wow, Loonbeam, your flight plan is much, much detailed than the one my TA gave me. They simply told me "there is no flight to Acapulco on the day of your cruise"! :(

Lvs2Cruise2, I really wish I could be on that cruise, as you said, I just cannot take a vacation long enough for a 14-day cruise, and your reason is also my reason why I chose this one at first. Sadly Princess is not offering any 10-day full-transit cruise at the moment, but hey, hope for the best, maybe they shift the embarkation port to a more easily accessible and safe place next year! :p

You can but would have to change airlines out of alliance to pull it off efficiently which I try to avoid. Houston was the only 2 stop each way connection that was affordable, all of the others were showing in the $4K range.

No need to fly out of your way to Houston.

There are flights to ACA from both San Francisco and Los Angeles. I assume you can fly fron Hong Kong to either of those two airports.

Archived