Impression of Ebag 29" Mother Lode Bag for Cruising

Hazmat9

I'm new to cruising and will be taking my first cruise with my wife to Alaska this May 2011 for seven days. I had a question regarding luggage. I have an older Samsonite boat anchor, (I think it was the largest they made) that I used years ago when I traveled to Europe. With weight restrictions, this suitcase is near 20 pounds! I like the rolling duffels especially like the "Ebag 29" Mother Lode." Does anyone have one and can comment on it for use in cruising? I also thought of the Mother Lode 25" but it weights only a half a pound less at 11.5 pounds..(some people said they were glad they bought the 25" because of the lighter weight). I just want to get the most bang for my buck and make sure I have enough room for a few souvenirs on the way back. Plus I know I'll need at least a few pairs of shoes (dress and hiking). Also any impressions on its durability and ease of use. I welcome any comments on other comparable bags as well. Any help would be appreciated and many thanks!

lol ... I don't know much about the ebag but you definitely don't want to waste 20 lbs on your luggage!! We always cut it close on weight. Also, if you are planning to purchase alot of souveniers it might be cheaper to mail them from Alaska to your house.

We find that the problem with our 29" suitcases is that if we fill them up (not stuffed, just full), they weigh over 50 pounds--and the suitcases themselves are relatively light weight.

For that reason, when we need to buy new luggage, we'll get something smaller.

It's totally frustrating having to pack with a luggage scale by your side. Just thought that the duffel option may save me a few pounds.......compared to the boat anchor I currently have it saves almost 8 extra pounds with the Mother Lode and I like the style.

I've been looking at several new suitcases lately- for that very same reason. Mine isn't that bad- it's a 27in. that weighs 11.5 lbs. I found a really light weight suitcase- Ricardo sausalito- the 29 in is 9.3 lbs.But for the price, its not worth it for me. I guess mine is still in a good weight range. It's too bad that they don't seem to be making 27 in. anymore- it was a good compromise between the 25 and 29 inch. Good luck....

Whatever bags works for you is great. But, personally, I just couldn't pay that much for a bag (I'm darn cheap.) And in a bag that size, I prefer a "separable" design.

I have a "Outdoor Products Laguardia Rolling Travel Bag" that I love when trying to bring a whole lot of stuff.

I'm new to cruising and will be taking my first cruise with my wife to Alaska this May 2011 for seven days. I had a question regarding luggage. I have an older Samsonite boat anchor, (I think it was the largest they made) that I used years ago when I traveled to Europe. With weight restrictions, this suitcase is near 20 pounds! I like the rolling duffels especially like the "Ebag 29" Mother Lode." Does anyone have one and can comment on it for use in cruising? I also thought of the Mother Lode 25" but it weights only a half a pound less at 11.5 pounds..(some people said they were glad they bought the 25" because of the lighter weight). I just want to get the most bang for my buck and make sure I have enough room for a few souvenirs on the way back. Plus I know I'll need at least a few pairs of shoes (dress and hiking). Also any impressions on its durability and ease of use. I welcome any comments on other comparable bags as well. Any help would be appreciated and many thanks!

I can't answer your specific question about that bag except to say that it looks *enormous*, and much more than I'd want to be toting around, even on wheels!

But I can tell you we have bought several different bags from eBags and are quite pleased with their quality, and the quality of the customer service offered. We had to return one (a problem with a zipper) and they took it back, almost no questions asked (at their cost), and shipped a new one by express mail so we would have it in time for our needs. Great company, good products.

We find that the problem with our 29" suitcases is that if we fill them up (not stuffed, just full), they weigh over 50 pounds--and the suitcases themselves are relatively light weight.

For that reason, when we need to buy new luggage, we'll get something smaller.

Exactly what happened to me. I thought I was doing myself a favor by buying the large one and because it weighs so much full and I've ONLY USED IT ONE TIME. Too bulky, too heavy to use. (I bought them both) Stick with the 25. Full up, mine weighs right around the 50 lb mark and works best for me.

Just thought I'd throw my opinion in the ring. I actually use a dive 'suitcase.' Its a huge large rolling duffle, but I can pack a ton of stuff in it and when its full, usually squeak by at around 49.5 lbs. Not sure how much it weighs empty though. I found one that comes in at 10 lbs so that is lighter than the one you mentioned and dimensions are bigger. Here is another one I saw.

Just a tip - if you go this route, do a google search for these dive shops and 'discount codes'. Sometimes can find free shipping, percentage off, etc.

Just in case you didn't have enough to try to pick from before. :)

lol ... I don't know much about the ebag but you definitely don't want to waste 20 lbs on your luggage!! We always cut it close on weight. Also, if you are planning to purchase alot of souveniers it might be cheaper to mail them from Alaska to your house.

And since Alaska is "in country," If it fits, it ships. That's what we did.

Enjoy the trip. We loved it.

First drink's on me! :D

I actually decided to go with the Coleman line of rolling duffels which seem extremely strong. I went with the 30" bag which weighs only 8 lbs. I did however pack and weigh this weekend (not much of a life considering I had time to this this :D) and I was over by about 7 lbs. I'm going for 10 days total and I'm not one of those who likes to wear the same thing every day.....I may just bite the bullet and pay the over-weight charge.

I went to ROSS and bought three rolling duffel bags for under $100. they are under 9lbs each, and have so much space in them. So yes, I can see how it would be very easy to overload the bags! :D

Got loads of room......just over the limit.... frustrating :rolleyes:

Archived