Help with my 24hrs in Barcelona

jgallow

Hey guys and gals,

We fly in at 11am the day before our cruise on the jade. Right now, we're booked at the Renaissance at the airport which includes transfer to the pier with our rate for 125 euros. I'm worried that we won't really be able to do anything in barcelona staying so far out, but i'm worried about the logistics of getting to the hotel and to the port if we stay somewhere in the city, not to mention the gazillion hotels to choose from. I'm looking for advice on where we should stay and what to do. Any Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

It's about a half hour cab ride from the airport to the port or to the central area of Barcelona. (30 Euros or so.) You should not worry about the logistics of doing that after you get off the plane; taxis at the airport are plentiful, and the benefits of staying "downtown" will be that you don't have to travel into the city and then back out to the airport on the day you arrive if you want to see some of the city. (Just note that many cab drivers in BCN don't speak English; have your hotel name and address written out.)

Similarly, it is really no big deal to take a cab from a downtown hotel to the port on the day of sailing. Also, if you aren't staying out at the airport, you could spend some time in the city on the morning that you sail.

We were on the Jade out of Barcelona last year, and stayed in a hotel near Placa de Catalunya (the Onix Rambla). There are many hotels in that area, and it's a great location (near the top of Las Ramblas) for walking around and seeing the city, getting on the Metro, catching a cab, or taking a HoHo bus around the city. There's nothing out at the airport.

If it were me, I would not stay out at the airport. I'd get a hotel in the center of the city, and maximize my time in Barcelona that way.

Trip Advisor is a good source on hotels. And this web site is great for helping you get around the city:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I was able to get the bus from the airport and it was very easy to do and very cheap. If you stay in a hotel in the centre of Barcelona in one of the many hotels and get a taxi to the Port the next day. It is all very easy to do and little hassle

I stayed at that hotel after my Jade cruise and there is absolutely nothing around it - you can't even tell what city you're in and the only food you can find is hotel food. It was fine for us because we just needed a place near the airport post cruise, but I would never stay there with just one day in Barcelona - especially because walking in the evening is one of the great pleasures, you want to be able to step out of your hotel into the city. I don't speak Spanish and was a woman alone with small children and I had absolutely no problem flying into Barcelona and staying in the city twice last year. Do some research here and you'll find a great hotel, then just have the name of the hotel written down to hand the cab driver at the airport. The next morning, it will be just as easy to get a cab to take you to the port. We had 2 days pre-cruise and loved Barcelona so much that we returned six months later to see more.

Best,

Mia

I was able to get the bus from the airport and it was very easy to do and very cheap. If you stay in a hotel in the centre of Barcelona in one of the many hotels and get a taxi to the Port the next day. It is all very easy to do and little hassle

We are thinking of doing this June 1.Do you remember where you caught the bus and how much is was? Also is there only one bus that goes into the centre of town? Any help would be apreciated.

Hey guys and gals,

but i'm worried about the logistics of getting to the hotel and to the port if we stay somewhere in the city,

It doesn't make much sense staying at an airport hotel in Barcelona. The cruise port is very close to the city and a cheap taxi ride. The city is also very walkable. I would think it would be more of a pain and more costly staying at an airport hotel, taking a taxi into the city to enjoy your day in Barcelona and then taking a taxi all of the way back to the ship (which is near the city). As for hotels, there are several reviews here on cruise critic and many more on Trip Advisor. I don't understand why you wouldn't just take a taxi from the airport to a hotel in the city, which will conveniently get you there right around check in time, grab lunch and then see a few sites during the day, grab dinner, and then maybe catch the Magic Fountain show or a flamenco show or something else.

Taxi from airport to hotels in the city will run you 25-30 euros with tip. Taxi to ship from city hotel should be 10 euros or less. Taxi to Parc Guell from a hotels in city are about 7 euros. Price was similar to Magic Fountain. Other than that, we walked everywhere.

The Aerobus is super convenient and can be boarded right outside of the terminal. It costs around 5 Euros and has several stops ending at the Plaça de Catalunya near hundreds of hotels. The cost from there to the port is around 20 Euros with luggage. There is SO much to see in Barcelona that we added a day there at the end of our cruise last fall, and I wished we had added two as it is now one of my favorite cities. It will probably cost more money to stay near La Rambla

as the last person that posted the bus from the airport is so simple. The driver calls out the stops and what I can remember the square is the fourth stop. I don't speak Spanish and it was not a problem. You pay the driver when you enter the bus.

My husband and I have been to Barcelona twice ( we live in Scotland so the airfare is pretty cheap) there is so much to see and do in Barca , don`t stay at the airport , the port isnm`t to far away from the centre so stay in the centre of the city. One warning , the first time we went the taxi dricer tried to con us but we saw through him .

Look out for a restaurant called the Quatro Gats , its in a side street but lovely.

Folks, the OP was concerned enough about the "logistics" of getting from the airport into the city that he/she is contemplating staying at an airport hotel, and people are suggesting the bus into the city?

If I were the OP, I would take a cab, not the bus. Wherever you have just flown in from, you'll likely be tired. Do you really want to be dragging your luggage on and off a bus, and then rolling it around the streets to your hotel? (In the city that is about number one in the world for pickpockets?)

We stayed at the Praktik Rambla Hotel. It's a wonderful boutique hotel just north of Las Ramblas on Rambla de Catalunya. The price was very reasonable, especially since we had to have two rooms for six people. The taxis park just outside the hotel in the morning, so no problem getting to the ship whenever you check out. It is only a 10 min. walk to all the excitement on Las Ramblas. Don't stay at the airport. You really don't want to miss out on the many wonderful things Barcelona has to offer.

Just down from the hotel is the center of town. You can get on one of the many tour buses to take you all around the city for a quick overview and then spend the evening on Las Ramblas. Be very aware of pickpockets, as Barcelona is notorious for having some of the best. If necessary carry just a credit card and a little money with you in your front pocket and leave the purse and wallet in the hotel safe.

Archived