Lock repairs in April

helenandfrank

I have been reading with interest other discussions re lock closures in April for repairs each year. We have booked Amsterdam - Budapest departing 30 March. How can I tell if we will be affected by the closures (I have emailed TA, but want to double check with those who probably know best). Thank you for any advice.

...not travel agent, I meant to type cruise company. I am waiting for them to get back to me. The post re Danube levels was one which alerted me to the issue - but whilst the information is very helpful I am confused about 'upstream of this' and 'downstream of that' and I was hoping for some clarification in relation to travel from Amsterdam to Budapest during that period. I assume many river cruises run at that time and I assume they all work around the issue, just thought I should check.

If anyone has any advice, it will be most appreciated.

It was around 12 months ago that we started our extensive research for what turned out to be our holiday with Tauck cruising Amsterdam to Budapest starting on Setember 6th. Around that time this same subject on lock closures came up and it caught the eye because it appeared one of the companies conducting tours through the lock maintenance period was the Aussie company Scenic Tours and they were copping heaps from a number of contributors.

Because we place a high value on a companies integrity we checked to see what companies did not start their cruise season until after the lock maintenance was completed and this lead us, in part, to Tauck who again this year do not start their season out of Amsterdam until April 20th and from Budapest in Mid May.

I believe any company that starts their sailing season during this lock maintenance period has both eyes on their bottom line and little or no concern for the people who paid a considerable amount for their "perfect holiday".

I'm going to be keeping a close eye on any reviews from CC contributors who travel during this period.

I don't think that the Tulip season cruised are affected. They are on different pieces of rivers/canals.

I do notice that Uniworld doesn't seem to start any of their Danube cruises until about the end of April, so that is another company to add to the list.

I don't think that the Tulip season cruised are affected. They are on different pieces of rivers/canals.

I do notice that Uniworld doesn't seem to start any of their Danube cruises until about the end of April, so that is another company to add to the list.

My wife and I are booked on Uniworld's "Enchanting Danube" cruise that leaves Passau on April 3rd and ends in Budapest on April 10th. According to "Steamboats" in the other thread on the Danube River levels, our cruise should not be affected. It is a little disconcerting, however, that cruise lines offer cruises during this period of regularly scheduled lock maintenance that may cause your cruise to transform into a bus tour.

The Tulip cruises are out of Amsterdam and stay on the Rhine river. Therefore they are not affected by the lock closures on the Canal and Danube river.

helenandfrank,

Sorry, that I might have confused you. But any kind of directions as South, North, East or West on rivers are worthless as rivers are changing the direction frequently when winding through the countryside. That´s why upriver or downriver is used. The Danube river (the navigable part) is running from Kelheim/Germany downriver to the Black Sea. So just look on a map and you can easily find the locations.

For your cruise check out your itinerary. If you are at Passau on Apr 5th latest you´re fine!

steamboats

Thank you Steamboats, I have been reading your posts in various threads for some time and am glad you added your thoughts to this one. I apologise if my comment about 'upstream', 'downstream' etc were taken the wrong way - this was an indication of my lack of understanding rather than any critisism of your advice. I am grateful for your clarification and look forward to reading your future posts. Regards from Brisbane.

Archived