Formal Wear

custom300

My wife and I are getting ready to cruise on Celebrity Solstice. I'm wanting to rent a traditional tuxedo for the formal dining nights. Do men wear the traditional tuxedos or would I look out of place?

thanks Jamie

My wife and I are getting ready to cruise on Celebrity Solstice. I'm wanting to rent a traditional tuxedo for the formal dining nights. Do men wear the traditional tuxedos or would I look out of place?

thanks Jamie

I just got back from the solstice last week, he won't be out of place. I saw several men wearing Tuxedos. I was wearing a suit, but I saw several. :rolleyes:

thanks Jamie

Are available throught the Shop Celebrity section of the Celebrity website [if you click around enough, you will be redirected to the website for their subcontractor, Cruiseline Formalwear]... I've had good experiences with them while cruising in Europe and am renting again for my upcoming Panama Canal trip [living in Florida as I do, I tend to rent only when I need to fly]...

For Celebrity, the only package offered is a Classic Black one... And while some sailings are more formal than others [in my experience, European cruises tend to be more formal than Caribbean ones; longer cruises tend to be more formal than shorter ones], you will not look out of place under any set of circumstances...

I wore my tux and felt very "in place" last week on Solstice. I would say it was about 35% tux, 45% suits and 20% casual. I thought those in casual looked very "out of place" but either a suit or tux would do nicely.

I bought one years ago because of cruising.

There are a lot of debates about formal wear on cruises and the percentage does vary a bit by destination and length of cruise.

My observations have been that the vast majority of men wear tuxes or dark suits on formal night as specified in the formal night dress code. The majority of those wear tuxes. A smaller number will wear dressy sports jackets or blazers with a dress shirt and tie and a very small percentage will dress more casually than that if the restaurant management lets them in - which they often do as long as they don't look totally inappropriate.

If you wear a tux you'll be dressing with the majority.

If you are going to rent then you can rent a full outfit, or any part of one you need, from www.cruiselineformal.com. It will be delivered to your stateroom, usually on embarkation day, and it is very convenient.

Just back from a seven night sailing on the Eclipse. This sailing had the fewest number of men in tuxes of any I have been on. We were late seating dinner, so my observations were for those out and about at that time in the Martini Bar, dining room and theater for the show. We were actively looking for tuxes and they were difficult to spot. This was the first time in many, many years that my husband did not wear a tux. He made that decision because there were so few on our last cruise in Sept. in Europe. What really stood out were couples where the woman was dressed very formally and the man was in a shirt, no tie or jacket.

My husband always wears his tux on formal nights, and never feels out of place. I would think the few who wear jeans and t-shirts on formal night would feel out of place - but that's another topic entirely! :rolleyes:

Dress to the nines and enjoy yourselves!:)

My husband always wears his tux on formal nights, and never feels out of place. I would think the few who wear jeans and t-shirts on formal night would feel out of place - but that's another topic entirely! :rolleyes:

Dress to the nines and enjoy yourselves!:)

I agree!

I'll be cruising for 31 days with 8 formal nights. Renting just the pants and jacket for $65.00 for the entire trip. Saves quite a bit of packing space. They will deliver it to my first cabin and pick it up in my final cabin. Get it cleaned and pressed along the way.

On a recent Solstice cruise in the Caribbean, the men who wore tuxes on formal nights were definitely in the minority, not the majority.

I was also on a recent Solstice cruise and must say that the men in tuxes were definitely in the minority. While there will definitely be men dressed in tuxedos, the men dressed in either suits or sport jackets definitely outnumbered the men in tuxes by A LOT! Regardless, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable :)

I'm an informal guy, so I just wear sport coat/tie on formal nights and don't feel out of place. I'm all for folks wearing whatever is comfortable within reason.

Same here!

Archived