NCL Gem vs HAL Veendam

KruiseKrazy124

We booked the Gem to Bermuda end of June, first cruise. Chose Gem mainly because it is newer and larger (I understand the Atlantic waters can be very rough). Also, get 3 full days in port and really only about 3 1/2 days on Veendam (last day I figure you would have to be back to ship around noon).

Last time we cruised to Bermuda, we went on Zenith and went through the town cut....is that what it is called....and docked in St. georges. What an experience we had as we were welcomed by the bell ringer to St. Georges. I was so surprised that this was not an option this year. When I booked our cruise for Bermuda this July, my decision was going to St. georges and Hamilton. I have been to King Wark, which is not bad, but prefer to get right off the ship in Hamilton. We seem to get on and off at least twice if not three times, which is great! Even though I love CELEBRITY, I would prefer to dock right in Hamilton and will give HAL a try.

Last time we cruised to Bermuda, we went on Zenith and went through the town cut....is that what it is called....and docked in St. georges. What an experience we had as we were welcomed by the bell ringer to St. Georges. I was so surprised that this was not an option this year. When I booked our cruise for Bermuda this July, my decision was going to St. georges and Hamilton. I have been to King Wark, which is not bad, but prefer to get right off the ship in Hamilton. We seem to get on and off at least twice if not three times, which is great! Even though I love CELEBRITY, I would prefer to dock right in Hamilton and will give HAL a try.

I did the Zenith many times, did the Dockyard thing after the Zenith left the fleet and did the Veendam last year. This year I am doing the Veendam again. Somewhat like Zenith. The demographics on the sailing were pretty much like the Zenith sailings. I will say the entertainement was crappy on Veendam but when I go to Bermuda it is about Bermuda. I go out while in Bermuda at night. It is so much better for me than doing the Dockyard. If there were no other choice I would do the Dockyard but while I can dock in Hamilton I am going to do that. As far as NCL megaships like the Dawn or Gem. I won't do those. The Dawn was too crowded. The food was bad. I would go on Carnival before going on NCL and I don't care for Carnival much but at least the food on Carnival is good. That is all I am going to say. If I was doing the Dockyard I would do the Summit or Explorer of the Seas when they go to seven days Bermuda cruises.

I did the Zenith many times, did the Dockyard thing after the Zenith left the fleet and did the Veendam last year. This year I am doing the Veendam again. Somewhat like Zenith. The demographics on the sailing were pretty much like the Zenith sailings. I will say the entertainement was crappy on Veendam but when I go to Bermuda it is about Bermuda. I go out while in Bermuda at night. It is so much better for me than doing the Dockyard. If there were no other choice I would do the Dockyard but while I can dock in Hamilton I am going to do that. As far as NCL megaships like the Dawn or Gem. I won't do those. The Dawn was too crowded. The food was bad. I would go on Carnival before going on NCL and I don't care for Carnival much but at least the food on Carnival is good. That is all I am going to say. If I was doing the Dockyard I would do the Summit or Explorer of the Seas when they go to seven days Bermuda cruises.

Where do you go out at night in Hamilton? This is what I like about docking in Hamilton versus the dockyard. Also, how was the food on the Veendam?

It's all relative. We'll drive half an hour for a pizza.:D

A couple of years ago a friend met me In St. George. He said he hardly ever gets over there because of the distance and he lives in Devonshire Parish just outside of Hamilton.:)

On a scooter?

Where do you go out at night in Hamilton? This is what I like about docking in Hamilton versus the dockyard. Also, how was the food on the Veendam?

Offhand, some of the places I have gone are Pickled Onion, Flannigans, Cafe Cairo. I will also talk to the crew and find places from them. They will have the latest info since they are there every week. And they know places that start happening after midnight, if you are into that.

The food on Veendam was very good.

Offhand, some of the places I have gone are Pickled Onion, Flannigans, Cafe Cairo. I will also talk to the crew and find places from them. They will have the latest info since they are there every week. And they know places that start happening after midnight, if you are into that.

The food on Veendam was very good.

Great thanks. I was looking into Hog Penny and Pickled Onion. I remember Flannigans from the last time we were there, never heard of Cafe Cairo. Flannigans is a great place. We will probably stay close to the ship. Also, glad to hear the food is good.....thanks!

Flanagans has just reopened after an extensive renovation - it's supposed to be an improvement but I can't say for sure, I never go to the Front St bars.

I wonder if Cafe Cairo has reopened. They were closed for renovation last summer. They used to have a dance floor.

What is a banana boat cruise? Sailing once on a particular line really isn't a fair evaluation.;) We've cruised to Bermuda several time each on Celebrity, RCCL and NCL. Although we do have a favorite, all the cruises were good.:)

I think if a line is good it will earn your repeat business in one sailing. Like the poster you quoted my NCL experience was horrible and they did not deserve more bookings from me. I did try them a second time on a newer ship after freestyle 2.0 and again they were a huge disappointment. Consistently they have way too many poor reviews and I know a few travel agents who will not book them because of all the complaints they get from people they have booked. NCL just does not provide the experience many expect--and for some crazy reason, rather than charging rock bottom prices for the mediocrity they provide, I have priced their sailings higher than same ports and weeks on Celebrity and HAL several times.

I think if anyone sails on a line once and the line fails on food, service, etc, there is absolutely no reason they deserve a second chance. There are too many other good lines that are more deserving of our money and vacation time.

Thank you for all your replies. I'm leaning more toward Veendam because you get that extra time on the island. I don't mind the more structured dining. There's always room service out on the balcony! I do worry a little about not enough entertainment for the kids though. I will be traveling with my son who is 14 and my daughter who is 6. I am hoping to find enough to do to keep them entertained!

I am going on the Gem to Bermuda in a month (went on the Dawn there 2 years ago) and previously did a western caribbean on the Veendam. I was bored to tears on HAL as a 23 year old traveling with my grandmother. Plus, if you don't eat at the structured times, you were SOL. The pools even closed early! I don't go on vacation to go to bed early.

This will be our 3rd NCL cruise, and I have just liked those cruises more. I like the flexibility for dining and the fact you aren't stuck eating with strangers the whole cruise.

The dockyard is on the far end of the island, but it's really easy to get everywhere in Bermuda. My daily commute is longer than the trip from Dockyard to Hamilton, especially via ferry.

I am going on the Gem to Bermuda in a month (went on the Dawn there 2 years ago) and previously did a western caribbean on the Veendam. I was bored to tears on HAL as a 23 year old traveling with my grandmother. Plus, if you don't eat at the structured times, you were SOL. The pools even closed early! I don't go on vacation to go to bed early.

This will be our 3rd NCL cruise, and I have just liked those cruises more. I like the flexibility for dining and the fact you aren't stuck eating with strangers the whole cruise.

The dockyard is on the far end of the island, but it's really easy to get everywhere in Bermuda. My daily commute is longer than the trip from Dockyard to Hamilton, especially via ferry.

Holland America now has an open seating option. I used it last summer on the Veendam.

Did NCL and thought the food was not very good. The Veendam food is way better. The NCL ship I was the most overcrowded ship I have been on. Could rarely enjoy the pool area. I did like some of the entertainement on NCL.

The three travel agents I use don't have a high opinion of NCL either.

I would not do the Veendam for a Caribbean cruise. I would not do any NCL ship either for the Caribbean. The Veendam is almost perfect for Bermuda. I only say almost perfect because it can't dock at St. George.

As far as the Dockyard versus Hamiltion etc. it is not just that, the Veendam has extra time in Bermuda. If I was going to the Dockyard, which I almost did, I would take the Celebrity Summit. Much better ship, on a better cruise line with better food, service and amenities than NCL.

I'm going to move this to another board if it continues to be a ship debate instead of a Bemuda issue... to each his own re cruise lines and no one's opinion is wrong. What is right for one person/ family may not be for another - that is why there are so many diff cruise lines and onboard experiences.

Archived